1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Wells gets closer, and JVG says "team doesn't fit"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Nov 4, 2006.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Idled Wells says he feels good

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4309651.html

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

There was no decision Friday about when Bonzi Wells would make his debut with the Rockets, but there were signs he is getting close.

"I felt good," Wells said after Friday's practice. "If I play is up to coach."

Asked what he needs to do to demonstrate he is ready, Wells said: "I don't know, come out here and show him I can get through the practices and I can go hard. That's what I've been doing the past couple weeks. He's giving me indications he's kind of leaning my way, but until he gives me the OK, it's still kind of (uncertain). He's asking me how I'm doing, how my body's feeling."

Coach Jeff Van Gundy did sound closer to giving Wells the call.

"He is healthy enough," Van Gundy said. "In shape enough? Like I said, I don't think you're ever in shape until you start playing. When we do put him out there, he's just going to have to work through it. Obviously, it will probably be shorter minutes to start. I know everybody wants to know when, and rightfully so because he's a good player."

Making it fit
    Jeff Van Gundy said he might need to make changes to make the Rockets "fit," but emphasized the changes to consider would be to the rotation, rather than the roster.

"I am concerned about making us fit better," Van Gundy said. "I don't have anything specific, not because I'm holding something back. But I've thought long and hard about our team, and we don't fit right now."

Asked how to make the parts fit, Van Gundy said: "I don't know, I really don't."

"Don't make it out like I'm calling for roster changes because I'm not. That being said, if Dwyane Wade's available, I'm for roster changes."

Little seems likely to change with Juwan Howard, who is not in the Rockets' rotation as a power forward but part of a "committee" approach at backup center. Howard did not play Wednesday.

"I have a great idea what Juwan does and what he's about," Van Gundy said. "As I mentioned to him, I want to see us playing 3-point shooting fours, which I think has opened up space and is part of the reason we can have 10 3s in the game. That being said ... I don't like right now the way we fit. We don't have a balance between offense, defense and rebounding."

Blame the coach
    When Jeff Van Gundy was asked Friday why Tracy McGrady, a 75.7-percent career free-throw shooter, would be in a one-month slump at the line, Rockets guard Bob Sura blurted out the answer.

"Coaching," Sura said.

"That's a NBA thing, right there," Van Gundy said. "And a media thing, I might add."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

The most important info is the Sura quote in the end. JVG is to blame for McGrady's Free Throw shooting.

JVG sucks.

Also, JVG expressed interest in trading for Dwyane Wade.

#2 Van Gundier, Nov 4, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  3. timwalters

timwalters Member

since jvg mentianed wade, what do you guys think about rashard, the sonics are bought out by a Oklahoma City owners and are probably moving next year, lewis will be an unrestricted free agent, at the softball charity game this summer when asked about the rockets he was heard saying "whenever they want me Im there".......i like a bigger lineup lewis 6'10>battier 6'8

4. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I heard it was JVG that supplied the faulty intelligence that led to the Iraq War.

5. wingz0

wingz0 Member

I'm not particularly hot on Rashard Lewis. If Bonzi Walks, sure, maybe we can land a sign and trade for him or something, but I don't think he's better than Shane Battier as far as value to a team is concerned.

Lewis is 6'10, but his rebounding numbers have been in decline since the '01-'02 season, doesn't cause a lot of turnovers, doesn't block a lot of shots, doesn't draw a lot of fouls.

All he gives you is 3 point shooting with a funny form that runs hot and cold, the occasional drive and finish, and the occasional move down on the block.

3rd option material. How he'd fit into our team though, I'm not sure. And there's always the question of whether he'd be willing to take a pay cut and play 3rd fiddle to Yao and Mac.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Has Rashard opted out already? He'd get 10+ mil next season if he didn't.

If he has and is looking to be paid he qualifies for the 10 yr vet rate that is currently over 17 mil.

At any rate Rockets won't be able to afford him without trading T-Mac or Yao.

7. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

He's probably trying to light some fire into Mcgrady with that quote

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we know you love Mr. Van. but the simple fact is win baby and all will be well. Oh and by the way I am not ot the group who says fire him after 1 game. I wouldn't have hired him to begin with but since he is our coach why say fire him after 1 game... that's just stupid. I knew going in with all the new faces there would be an adjustment period. That being said there is too much talent on this team to not be successful sooner rather than later. How sooner I don't know but I would say they should play at least close to .500 for the month and only get better from then on. Even JVG promised improvement so lets see it. Just win baby and all will be well.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It was sarcasm.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, I think that went 53 pages in D&D.

11. cmellon

cmellon Member

How about T-Mac+Wells for D-Wade? :eek:

12. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Sarcasm, right?

13. rocketsmetalspd

I like JVG's response I don't know. His new initials should be Mr. DK. This guy should know what his team needs and him being the coach should have the answers. I guess JVG does not see a contract extension in the horizon and is making plans to head back home. I hope that is not the case but if he is throwing in the towel Mario Elie will be our next coach. One can only dream. :D

14. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Pardon a stupid question, but why do so many people think Mario Elie would make such a great head coach?

15. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I disagree, because the way I read into it is that he is questioning Mcgrady's toughness and his heart. Why would he do that? He also mentioned Lebron James in article last year. I know after the season was over I read in the paper that he wanted Mcgrady to get his fg% higher. The first game of the season 33%, very disappointed. I know it's just one game, but has anybody notice that mcgrady's game stays the same. Somewhere down the line commitment isn't there as for as improving your game every year to help you get to the prize that you want so much. And he has yet to solve the Bowen factor. What I mean by this is Bowen gives Mcgrady a lot trouble. Why has he risen over this obstacle. If he was really determined he would solve that puzzle to where Bowen could not hold him. Michael done it on his path, and now you are seeing it with Lebron. When Lebron came into the league, bowen used to give him trouble. Now he's dominating bowen. When you shoot 53% against bowen, you're very good. I say this because I questioned his determination to win a championship.

16. mag

mag Contributing Member

This just shows JVG is a terrible coach. The Rockets have changed a lot of players since he took over the team. At this time, pretty much every player was hand picked by him and still does not kwow how to fit the team.

I am just very disapointed with his approach. When I watch other teams play, prety much every team brings their rockies and new players and show tremendous potential (i.e. Lakers, Utah, LAC) and develop into good players. In our team, new players are not given enough chance, or if we give them a chance, then we realize we have picked a guy that is too short for the position, or just screw the draft.

I am just fustrated with the whole coaching. Maybe is time for a change.

17. Flamescreen

Flamescreen Member

Interesting.
    "if Wade's available, I'm all for roster changes"???
    That means that he doesn't trust either Alston or McGrady and wants to replace the first placing Tmac on PG, or the second, in fear of his shooting???
    Isn't that too early?

Cause I can't think of getting Wade as a backup to Tmac or Tmac a backup to wade.

18. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

hell yeah

19. johnrox

johnrox Member

yes that was exactoy what van gundy was thinking

sheesh

20. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

whatever, thats 'tarded :rolleyes: