1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Wells fits Rocket's rotation like a glove

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox225, Jan 31, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4513220.html

I think it'd be a mistake to trade Bonzi right now seeing how productive he can be off the bench. Even if he's a rental, he could help us go all the way. And if we win he just might take a chance with us, vica versa.

2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4513220.html

Wells fits Rockets' rotation like a glove
    Van Gundy likes working with eight; players appreciate knowing roles

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Last week, Jeff Van Gundy was talking about lineups and sweaters that didn't fit as his team struggled to look less disheveled and find its way out of a three-game losing streak.

A week later, the Rockets have won three in a row — including back-to-back blowouts — and suddenly the head coach has a rotation that looks as natty as a custom-fit suit from a Saville Row tailor.

It begins with Bonzi Wells, who has recovered from back problems and established himself as a solid low-post scoring threat off the bench. Wells' presence virtually eliminates the minutes for John Lucas III, forces Luther Head to spend time as the backup point guard instead, makes Shane Battier an occasional power forward, and shortens the Rockets' rotation while tightening up their overall play.

"I like the number eight because it gives everybody a chance, I think, to play effectively," Van Gundy said. "There are still some things, and how they work — Shane as a backup four, Luther as the backup point guard — to me, those things have yet to be determined if that works best for our group."

While the shorter rotation requires more versatility from those who are in it, there is, according to those in it, the benefit of familiarity.

"I think everybody in their job feels better with routine," Battier said. "If you go to your office and the coffee machine is in a different place every day and the boss' desk is in a different place every day, it's unnerving. There is something to be said for knowing what to expect when you come to the office.

"From a basketball standpoint, it's nice to know your rhythm of the game. I know I can go out and play my hardest for the first nine minutes every night because Luther is coming in at the three-minute mark.

"It's only been a short time that we've settled on this rotation, and there are things to work out. We're susceptible to dry spells on offense. But I like our defense, especially half-court, and there is a sense of us having a good idea of what we're going to do."

Head spends some time shifting to the point, but he doesn't perform many of the quarterback duties because he's usually on the floor with Rafer Alston or Tracy McGrady.

"I bring the ball up, give it to Tracy or give it to Bonzi and go do what I do at any other time," Head said. "It's just about fitting in and doing whatever it takes to help."

There are times, though, when Head is at a disadvantage trying to defend smaller, quicker point guards.

"I don't think (playing point) is what Luther does best," Van Gundy said. "But it's what's best for us right now. I wanted to see Bonzi on the floor, and the only way to keep Luther's minutes up is to put him at backup point.

"Getting Bonzi in shifts guys to other roles. But the better he plays his role, the better chance they have of playing theirs."

Over the past three games, Wells has made 10 of 20 shots and averaged 7.7 points and 5.0 rebounds, giving indications of what he can become as a steady part of a rotation.

"It's key," he said. "If you know your job and what you've got to do every night, you'll come in and work on the shots you know you're going to get in every game.

"You get a feel for those 20-30 minutes you're going to play, and that helps."

Van Gundy agrees, to a point.

"I think it helps if you have the right guys that don't take it for granted that they are going to play," he said. "It's not that they're going to play no matter what happens. It means they get first chance. Our guys are good about that. You've got to stay on guard, because it doesn't take a lot of change to really alter the outcome."

Then there are those who don't even give those matters a second thought.

"I don't get involved in rotation-type things," forward Juwan Howard said. "Hey, when I've got McGrady out there, I always feel very comfortable and confident."

fran.blinebury@chron.com

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

sweet maybe things are getting better

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

"players appreciate knowing roles"

So what's the role for JL3? A cancerous ball-hogging floor general? A 5'10" McGrady of NBDL?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am fine with that rotation......

Let's see where it takes us.

DD

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What happens when Yao gets back? Obviously Deke will go down to 15-18 minutes a game as backup center. How will the PF minutes be split?

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Thanks for posting, the rotation has been doing an excellent job since Yao went out and it's good to hear the players say positive things about it.

8. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

sweet... 3 McGrady's on our team. How can we lose?

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

What actions of JL3 cause you to accuse him of being "cancerous"? I think it was V-Span who compared himself to McGrady. At least when JL3 is "ball-hogging" he is not passing like he plays for the other team.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I imagine Chuck will go back to starting and play some backup center minutes. Juwan will go back to being a reserve.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I feel bad for Snyder though. It sucks to lose your minutes due to injury. However, JVG said that he just goes into the games thinking 8-man, but performance can change that during the game. I assume that means Snyder should be ready, because there will be games where Head is having trouble on big 2s and others where Bonzi is disappearing.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

So the 2 and 3 will be split between mcgrady, battier, and Bonzi and Head becomes primarily a backup 1 with Tmac on the floor.

13. Highwire

Highwire Member

maybe it's time to trade Yao for Garnett.. :D

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Probably not. At this point I can't see JVG giving Chuck that spot in the starting lineup back. Juwan has stepped up and earned it.

As much as I hate it, I think Chuck will probably lose a good portion of the minutes he's getting. I could see his role changing to giving Yao a rest against smaller faster teams and playing with Juwan, and giving Juwan a rest against teams with big men inside and playing with Yao.

Basically, my thought is that he will take the minutes Juwan had as a sub at the beginning of the season... unless someone has foul issues (lol of course the exception to that is if it him with the foul issues! :))

Of course that's all just my guess on how it will play out. Though it seems we have a couple of months more before it becomes an issue. As long as the team is playing well without Yao I don't think the training staff will take any chances on him being less than completely healthy (though Yao I am sure is chomping at the bit to get back)

Having more people producing quality minutes than having minutes to give them is a problem every coach longs to have!! Bonzi performing well is a bonus to the already great things this team had going.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's not a question of whether or not Juwan deserves it. He's been playing great, particularly in Yao's absence. But when Yao's in the lineup, he and T-Mac will be getting most of the shots. Chuck Hayes compliments them perfectly. The defense will ignore him and he'll be able to roam around for easy layups(although Chuck can make them a lot tougher than they need to be) and offensive rebounds.

When Yao goes to the bench, Juwan can come in and provide scoring. Now I do think Juwan will be on the floor with Yao and T-Mac at the end of games, in particular if the score is close since he's a terrific free throw shooter.

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Having Bonzi right now is great. But how will Bonzi fit in when we have Yao back? We don't need a low post threat when Yao is playing well. We need a penetrator and somebody to hit spot up shots ...and that isn't really Bonzi.

If the Knicks cut SF3, then figure out a trade to dump Bonzi for the best big man we can get. That way if Deke retires this summer, we already have our backup.

17. superden

superden Contributing Member

Hey there..JL3 was "McGrady" when he was in the NBDL.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hayes may lose some minutes, but I think one thing that JVG has made clear is he is not going to run Hayes and Deke together. It hurts the offense too much. So, Hayes will get a few minutes with Yao and when other teams go small, I think JVG will counter with Hayes and Juwan if he wants to give Yao a break.

The really surprising thing to me has been how well Deke and Juwan have played seeing as they are so slow. I still don't think teams have realized that the way to beat those two is not with size but with speed and quickness. But they have been effective up to this point, which I think is partially credited to the fact that RAFER is helping to control the tempo of the game and McGrady and Rafer are not letting us get into too many up and down helter skelter games.

Hayes is very, very effective with Yao though. I would bet he still finds 20 mpg after Yao returns. Deke will be the player that loses the most minutes.

19. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

im really starting wonder about snyder. i like him on the rockets and would hate to see him go since hes insurance with bonzi. does anyone know if they rockets extended head and/or snyder from their rookie contracts yet?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They did it before the season.

DD