1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Chron] Walker, Swift, Simmons to visit?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jul 2, 2005.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

In short, it confirms the 790 report with commentary from each of the agents. It looks unlikely for Simmons unless we can put together a package to entice the Clips, which is doubtful considering their backcourt situation. The most interesting nugget is the quote from Walker's agent about wanting the chance to contend for a championship... if he means it, there isn't another team (in the Walker sweepstakes) even close to us in that category.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3250157

Rockets drawing interest
    High-priced free agents may visit with team

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Beginning with the stroke of midnight, the Rockets found the offer of playing time in a frontcourt between Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady really would be viewed as attractive to free agents capable of earning more tangible rewards.

Forwards Antoine Walker, Stromile Swift and Bobby Simmons were interested in Houston as a possible free-agent destination, their agents said Friday, with each considering setting up visits to meet with Rockets officials next week.

Donyell Marshall also could be interested, but his agent Andy Miller said he had not discussed with Marshall the initial conversation with Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson and that as an 11-year veteran Marshall would likely not be making trips to visit interested teams.

Because the Rockets are over the salary cap, they can only offer the mid-level exception, expected to be worth roughly $5 million for the first season, barring a sign-and-trade arrangement. The free agents they initially reached out to could receive much larger offers, but each seemed open to considering the Rockets.

"Houston is a viable option," Miller said when asked about Marshall's and Swift's options. "Anytime you have a chance to be vying for a championship, you compare that to what the marketplace might bear."

Marshall plan

In 11 seasons, Marshall, 32, has averaged 12.4 points per game on 44-percent shooting, 35.4 percent from the 3-point arc. A 6-9 forward, he averaged 7.3 rebounds.

Swift, 25, has spent most of his five seasons with the Grizzlies playing behind Pau Gasol. He has averaged nine points on 46.8-percent shooting, and five rebounds in an average of 21 minutes per game.

Walker, 28, also seems likely to receive offers greater than the trade exception. He earned $14.6 million last season with the Hawks and Celtics.

Like Marshall, he would bring the shooting range to power forward that the Rockets have sought. In nine seasons, he has averaged 19.8 points on 41.5-percent shooting, 32.5 percent from the 3-point arc. He has averaged 8.6 rebounds.

"We talked in the middle of the night about Antoine," his agent Mark Bartelstein said.

"They could do a sign-and-trade. But I will say this, the Rockets are a great organization. They have a lot of great pieces. He sees Houston as a terrific young team with two great players. Antoine sees them as a championship-contending team, and he is looking for a chance to contend for championships. We may set something up next week."

Simmons improved

Though he is a small forward/shooting guard, the Rockets have shown interest in Simmons, voted the league's most improved player last season after averaging 16.4 points and 5.9 rebounds for the Clippers. Simmons made 46.6 percent of his shots and 43.5 percent of his 3-pointers. But he is a restricted free agent, allowing the Clippers to match offers and making a mid-level exception unlikely to be sufficient.

"We talked a couple times today, but there is a lot of interest in Bobby," Bartelstein said. "It would be tough (to get Simmons for the mid-level exception)."

2. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

This is wrong, Bobby Simmons, LA Clippers is an Unrestricted free agent

3. The Cat

That makes sense... I was wondering how Simmons was restricted considering he wasn't a first round pick.

The Boston Herald also has a Walker/Rockets story in their Saturday edition, but it's basically the same info as Feigen's story. However, the quote about "if the Rockets are willing to spend their entire mid-level exception" makes it seem as if the Celtics expect the MLE to be his rate and not above it as many of us feared.

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=92385

Rockets show interest in Walker
    By Steve Bulpett
    Saturday, July 2, 2005 - Updated: 12:42 AM EST

On the first day of the NBA's free agent negotiating period, Houston emerged as a potential landing site for Antoine Walker [news].

According to sources, the Rockets contacted Walker's agent, Mark Bartelstein, and expressed interest in the power forward who returned to the Celtics in a trade this past February. Walker, in turn, showed interest in the Rockets and reportedly could be visiting Houston as early as next week.

Director of basketball operations Danny Ainge also contacted Bartelstein to reiterate the Celtics' interest in bringing back Walker. But assuming the Rockets are willing to spend their entire mid-level exception (approximately $5 million for one season), Walker could find Houston a more inviting option than the Celtics because of the Western Conference team's proximity to contending for a title.

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

absolutely - he is unrestricted (its a big deal on ESPN) - come on Feigan, get it together... !!! :eek:

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Man, look at those percentages for 'toine....

"41.5-percent shooting, 32.5 percent from the 3-point arc"

JVG would have him benched in street clothes on the IR by December.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You are correct. But the Clippers are under the cap so they can still out bid the Rockets if they so desire.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one else caught this nugget?

I personally would kind of warm up to the JVG-Toine match. They may bring out the best in each other. Having a guy with Walker's versatility (high/low post, perimeter shooting, post game, passing) would just add a whole new dimension to our team. Walker would've DESTROYED the Dallas team if they played defense the same way- in reality, he would've altered their defensive strategy and allowed Tracy and Yao to get off even more.

8. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

If Walker does play for Houston, hopefully JVG can make him control his shooting. After reading Clutch's article about him, I dunno if we want such a profligate shooter taking 18 shots a game when the style we play clearly limits the number of touches Houston gets on any given night.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I recognize his talent but not a Walker fan. He has a reputation of a lockerroom cancer. Besides, do you really think he can D up on the glut of talented PFs in the West?

10. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I noticed that. I was surprised to see that, but when I put on my homer glasses, it makes some sense.

What really caught my eye is the bit about how "they could do a sign and trade" for Antoine (for more than the MLE, I presume). My thoughts on that were, ummm, no thanks. Not without convincing me that you can play the right way first. Either that or agree to a team option on the second year so we can cut your *** if you start causing trouble.

I'm almost certain now that JVG might have been alluding to Walker when he talked about being bold and having to risk chemistry.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Lockerroom cancer? He shared the PT enough in DAL that Jamison won the 6th Man Award and the Celtics were glad to get him back and want to re-sign him. We can respectfully disagree about Walker's oncourt impact to the Rockets. But regarding the Lockerroom cancer comments, can you provide specifics beyond your own opinion?

As far as defending WC PF's....Walker is quicker than everyones favorite Abdur-Rahim...who brings exactly how much defense?

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Walker, Swift, Simmons. Those are "impact" players. Those are the "types" of players I was hoping the Rockets would be talking to instead of the Chris Andersons/Raja Bells of the world.

I think Swift would be a huge addition next to Yao. I already made my case for Bobby Simmons in a previous thread and I am VERY excited they are talking to him. In fact surprisingly I am more excited about the idea of adding Simmons to the roster over Swift which a month ago I would have never thought I would have said that. Simmons and Tmac as our wings would be dynamite. I guess I am warming up to Simmons more because I see him as more of a "sure thing" over Swift. I know Simmons has only had one good year but he has a great work ethic, I dont thing the good year was tied to it being a contract year. I think he will produce. With Swift, more of it is riding on "potential" so that is the only thing that scares me. Still Swift at the MLE would be worth it.

As for Walker. Honestly I have never been a fan of his. I dont like his game. I think his shot selection is terrible. And he dominates the ball. Can he contribute to a team without handling the ball as much? I dont know. Perhaps on a team with Tmac and Yao if Walker accepted the 3rd guy role he could be good. Walkers ball handling and passing to me are his best traits. Does anyone see Walker as a JVG type guy? The one thing I will give Walker, he played well in Atlanta and well in Boston when he came back. Perhaps he was humbled by all of the trades.

Still, of those 3, my order of preference are 1) Simmons, 2) Swift, 3) Walker.

And Feigen totally blew it with Bobby Simmons FA status. He is UNrestrcited. Sure the Clippers can throw money at Simmons, but right now the Clippers are doing a hard press for Ray Allen. Let's say they get their shooter, then the new shooter and Maggette are the two wings there. Where does Simmons fit in? Off the bench? Simmons could be a STARTER on a championship caliber team like the Rockets or a bench guy on the Clippers? I dont see the Clippers throwing a ton of money at Simmons if they get the big haul FA they are looking for.

Simmons is our guy!

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

My thoughts are the same. Walker is probably the most talented of the bunch. He likes to take the big shot. You can't double team three guys, Tracy, Yao and Walker.

Anyone know if Walker can play some occasional sf?

The trade for Walker sort of reminds me of the Detroit trade for Rasheed. Unless you are lucky like San Antonio, sometimes you have to take a chance on talent vs "character".

I'd pass on Marshal. Simmons would be good, too. But no more 32 and older guys unless in a year or two they are the final championship piece.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I would never have thought we even be talking about Walker w/ this team. His shot selection is horrible and it seems he needs the ball to always be effective.

But can he change? I'm even more suprised JVG would show interest in Walker, he seems like he'd be the last guy on his list. But if JVG has confidence that Walker can help this team, then I trust JVG. If he can improve his shot selection and overall decision making, he could be a huge addition to the team.

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Hell no to jack up Walker. Yao and T-Mac would send his ass back to Boston if we got him. He can't concide in Atlanta or Boston. Why the hell would we want him here?

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

GATER's right. Walker has always been thought of as a good lockroom guy. Kenny Anderson was the cancer early into WAlker's career with Boston. Walker's got a big ego (most nba players do), and his judgement is definately a little off, but he's not a bad guy. Put him on a team where he's the third option, and he'll be very helpful.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

He was shown the door out of Dallas, and the word in Dallas was that he was a lockerroom cancer. Now, I'm the last person to trust Dallas on bball stuff, but somehow I kinda thought that was about right on Walker.

I'm not a fan of SAR either, but at least SAR seems more coachable and team oriented then AW.

Let's just say JVG better remind him who our 2 first options are on offense if we do go after him, and 1A-TM should give him a verbal beatdown if he's screwing up our O. And I still worry about the D on WC PFs.

#17 v3.0, Jul 2, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For Dallas, Walker put up 13.8 shots a game. Last year for Boston he put up 15. Both were also about 35 minutes per. In Boston he shot 44% and in Dallas 43%, both of which are higher than his carreer avg.

juwan Howard has a career average of 14.7 shots a game. In Denver and Orlando he put up 16.4 and 14.4 shots per in 35 mpg. With us he took 8.9.

What this means to me is that Walker, as he has aged, has become less of a chucker and will play more controlled on better teams. His last few years he has been similar to Howard before he got here as far as how much he shoots (minus Atlanta because that doesn't count).

If he came here, he would do so knowing that he would be the third option. He accepted a role with Dallas where he had to share the ball even more (Dirk, Nash, Finley were all ahead of him and Jamison was about equal).

So, with a very controlled JVG, I think Walker could be a decent option. The lack of D would suck, but we could get creative with schemes. I remember reading an article out of Boston this past year about Walker and how he was a different player than when he was there before. He might be getting closer to mature. If so, he could be a great option and, as others have said, would make Yao and Tracy all the more deadly. Not only due to Walker being an offensive threat but also because he is a good passer.

So, my initial instinct is to cringe at the thought of 'Toine, but the more I think about it the more I think it could have potential. No way do I want to invest too much money or too many years with him, though.

19. The Cat

He was shown the door out of Dallas because Dallas had just lost Steve Nash and had to do what was necessary to acquire backcourt help (Jason Terry). Just because a player is traded doesn't mean he was a cancer. Antawn Jamison was traded by Dallas too (for more backcourt help), and by all accounts he's one of the nicest guys in the league.

I've got plenty of friends that are fans of the Mavs. I read most of the DMN articles. I've heard about the shot selection, dominating the ball and all those other bad traits. But I've never heard (from anyone) about him being a cancer in the lockerroom... if anything, I've heard the opposite. The Celtics fans I talk to seem to want to keep Walker around to be a mentor to Jefferson and their other young players. That seems to speak highly of his character.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He and Pierce always complemented well. Why not here, too?

BTW - what does concide refer to (or mean)?