1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Van Gundy says yes to coaching Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/1944426

Jeff Van Gundy performed his first coaching miracle on Monday.

With just a few words, Van Gundy agreed to become the Houston Rockets' next coach and inspired the team's 65-year-old general manager, Carroll Dawson, into youthful leaps.

Van Gundy called Dawson early Monday morning to say he would accept the invitation to succeed Rudy Tomjanovich as Rockets coach, sending Dawson into an athletic celebration filled with relief, joy and the hope Van Gundy can similarly inspire the team that will soon be his.

The Rockets still must complete contract negotiations with Van Gundy's agent, Jim Ornstein. But Dawson on Monday described that process almost as a legal formality.

"I was very thrilled," Dawson said of landing Van Gundy. "I was expecting it this morning, but I didn't expect it quite as early as I got it (about 8 a.m.). He was very excited, and I was jumping up and down. My wife thought that I was crazy."

Dawson had reason to consider all potential roadblocks conquered. League sources said Van Gundy, after speaking with Dawson, called Washington Wizards owner Abe Pollin to say he would no longer be interested in coaching that team.

By Monday afternoon, Dawson had reached an agreement on a deal with the New York Knicks to release Van Gundy from the remainder of his contract, which ran through July 31. League sources said the Rockets will send the Knicks a second-round draft pick in a year the Rockets will choose later.

And with that, the Rockets considered their coaching search over.

"I think that it could happen this week," Dawson said of completing contract negotiations with Van Gundy. "The hardest part was getting the rights to negotiate (from the Knicks). I think we can reach an agreement (on a contract) without a whole lot of trouble."

Van Gundy is expected to receive a four- or five-year contract worth $4 million to $5 million per season, compared with the $3.75 million per season he was paid by the Knicks. Tomjanovich's contract extension was worth an average of $5 million per season.

Before Tomjanovich, who will remain with the Rockets as a consultant, stepped down, Van Gundy had met several times with Cleveland Cavaliers owner Gordon Gund about coaching that team. Van Gundy turned down requests for interviews with the Charlotte Hornets and Philadelphia 76ers but had met with Wizards officials last week.

Van Gundy, 41, was the first coach interviewed by Dawson and Rockets owner Leslie Alexander after Tomjanovich stepped down May 23. The Rockets also considered Mike Dunleavy, Larry Brown and Paul Silas. Brown was named Detroit Pistons coach, and Silas accepted the position with the Cavaliers a day after meeting with the Rockets. Van Gundy was the only coach offered the Rockets' position.

Alexander declined comment on his selection of Van Gundy, who was unavailable.

"This was a wanted guy," Dawson said. "Everybody who had an opening was trying to get him. I feel very fortunate that we are the ones that came up with him. He had a lot of offers to look at, but this is the one he picked. We are very excited about that. I think we got a very good coach, and I think that it's going to be a good marriage."

Van Gundy and his wife, Kim, spent two days in Houston visiting private schools and house hunting last week, giving every indication they were close to choosing a move to Houston. But Van Gundy had asked for the weekend to consider his decision.

"We became very close friends," Dawson said. "He feels like this is a great situation. He looked this city over, and he was very impressed, both he and his wife. He spent a lot of time with Leslie Alexander and liked what our owner had to say. He likes our talent. There wasn't anything he really didn't like.

"In my heart, I felt like we were the front-runner, but you never know until it happens. You have to believe that way in your franchise. I spent half my life with this franchise, so I really believe in it. I did my best to sell it, and it worked out well. To get a coach to follow Rudy and be happy with him is very special.

"We're very lucky to have Jeff coming on board. He is as committed as anybody, and I think he's going to do a great job,:" Dawson said.