1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Van Gundy desperately needs officials to swallow bait

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocksolid, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

April 20, 2004, 2:45AM

Van Gundy desperately needs officials to swallow bait

By JOHN P. LOPEZ
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

LOS ANGELES -- A pair of nice efforts by the Rockets -- willing, but not able efforts -- have yielded nothing.

So it has reached the point where this Rockets-Lakers series must make a drastic turn.

Or else the kind of fishing that Jeff Van Gundy next talks about will be real, as opposed to the kind he mentioned in the depths of the arena before a gathering of us media bottom-feeders.

Before Van Gundy saw anything fishy Monday night, he sensed how easily the balance of a series could well hinge on one possession, one turnover, one shot.

One call, maybe.

Certainly, one call didn't sway things in the Lakers' 98-84 victory over the Rockets at Staples Center, but Van Gundy did make a legitimate, biting point.

Then in the midst of a tight game, he saw his point driven home only a few feet in front of him. He saw Cuttino Mobley whistled for a phantom touch on Kobe Bryant beyond the 3-point arc at the end of the third quarter, turning a seven-point lead into 10 points when Bryant hit all three freebies.

For the night, Bryant made all the plays, sure. He also took 17 free throws, making 16 of them. Van Gundy saw nothing wrong with that on this night. "You're going to have certain things you'd like to see, but if you're us right now, you can't just whine your way to a win." Van Gundy said. "From what I saw, he earned his way to the line."

The third-quarter call wasn't a difference maker by any stretch. But it was exactly the kind of thing for which Van Gundy said Phil Jackson was fishing. And it was exactly the thing about which Van Gundy could not help but rant.

He tossed verbal chum into the playoff waters. He proved that he and Jackson are anything but. Chums, that is.

And Van Gundy was right.

The Rockets' hopes rest with getting more of what they saw in the first half Monday night than what they experienced at the critical moments.

One day earlier, Jackson complained about officiating. Talking about the Rockets' deliberate, half-court style and penchant for aggressive defense, which resulted in a tough 72-71 Game 1 Lakers win, Jackson questioned the league's mindset for allowing "mud wrestling."

Sure, these coaches have a history between them, not much of it cordial. They had exactly these kind of grind-it-out wars when Jackson led the Bulls and Van Gundy coached for the Knicks.

Van Gundy once called Jackson "Big Chief Triangle" and there were other tensions between them in 1999, when Jackson interviewed for a Knicks job that Van Gundy still had -- and ultimately kept, after taking those Knicks to the NBA Finals.

But do not think for a second that Van Gundy's two-minute rant of a rebuttal had as much to do with personal tensions as coaching.

This series is on the line with the Rockets down 2-0. This was Van Gundy's counterattack to the shot Jackson fired across the league's bow one day earlier. It was his ebb, to Jackson's flow.

The uncut version:

"I don't even have to look at the calendar to know that it's spring coming on summer, with Phil complaining about the officiating," Van Gundy said. "It happens like a rite of passage every spring. And it's interesting. His team shoots more free throws (than opponents), I'm going to guess probably 80 percent in his career. But it's those ... Lakers always getting screwed.

"And I'm really surprised at some of you guys that are probing journalists. If he was a fisherman, he'd have you guys mounted on his wall. He throws the bait out there and then you guys scurry over there and throw your mouths on there, so he can hook you with this whole idea of physical play, Eastern Conference, Jeff Van Gundy mentality.

"Yeah, really. Shaq is a finesse player compared to Yao. And Karl Malone and Kelvin Cato, who's more physical? And you have the Patron Saint, Rick Fox, who never touches anybody. And then you've got Bryant who is bigger and stronger than Mobley. You've got a guy nicknamed `Glove' for a reason. And then you've got the flopper, Fisher, bumping and grinding. So who's the more physical team?

"If you guys would probe a little bit, we're the ones trying to run a little bit. We're the one who scored more than 100 points when we played in the regular season. The only physical team in this series is them.

"Basically, what he's trying to say in his own way is, `You have no right to compete against us. The fans and the media and TV want the Lakers in the Finals, and I expect the league to accommodate us.'

"We were thankful that they sent three men of integrity to referee the game (Saturday), and now we will see who the league sends in here tonight. When Phil asks the league to jump, we'll see how high they jump. And that's all I've got to say."

Van Gundy then walked away. And for one half, the Rockets got exactly the kind of game they desired.

Yao was aggressive, and officials Bernie Fryer, Joe DeRosa and Bennie Adams hardly gave O'Neal superstar treatment. While Yao carried the way in the first half, O'Neal was in foul trouble.

It could not have worked out better. Temporarily.

Now facing the most desperate of times, Van Gundy could not have been more right, prophetic perhaps. The Rockets cannot fall into Jackson's preferred style, either by their own undoing or the officiating.

If it's spring, Van Gundy must be needing referees that'll let them play.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

now that is a freaking article.

:D

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

[​IMG]

4. stra

stra Member

Is this real!!!:eek:

GO GUNDY GO GUNDY GO GUNDY GO GUNDY GO GUNDY

(seriosly nice to see him stand up to PJ)

5. munco

munco Member

I have to say that JVG probably said what everyone in the league except the Lakers have wanted to say for years. Very well said and on point.

6. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

good job van gundy, speaking the truth

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

I read this this morning and was suprised to see that it just now showed up.

JVG is the man, but I am sure the Lakers won't have any less motivation to beat us after reading his quotes.

8. Summer Song Giver

9. rocksolid

10. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Dayum, JVG +1000 for that. He is only telling the truth, something that most coaches are scared to do.

11. jeffbaf

jeffbaf Member

How can you not admire the guy? Van Gundy is a special coach and special person. So well said.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

They just talked about the article on "Around the Horn." They all agreed that Shaq, Kobe, Karl, and GP, get officiated differently (benefit of the doubt), but they said they get officiated like that because they are "great."

I forgot who said it, but one said that JVG has PJ "in his head," and that JVG needs to concentrate on the team.

But overall, everyone agreed that the Lakers get officiated differently (better) than any other team.

13. rocksolid

great or not, it's still garbage.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Worth every penny of his contract for saying that.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

rocksolid,

I thought the bolded part was your invention as a joke. Then I went to the chron site and read the article there and I was like "wow, he really said that?" :cool:

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If I may quote Snoop Dogg from Starsky and Hutch:

"Dayumn. That brings you a notch up in my book." (raises index finger) "That puts you at notch one."

Actually, I like JVG, and after reading that, I like him a whole lot more. YOU GO BOY!

17. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

me too.. I liked JVG as coach already but his no nonsense attitude and take no BS stance on things is very refreshing..

J

18. rocksolid

here's Phil and Fisher's reaction to JVG's comments:

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/st...RS?SITE=TXHOU&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Jackson said Van Gundy's remarks didn't surprise him.

"It's typical of Jeff to make those comments," Jackson said. "I try not to take the bait - he throws it out there."

Jackson also said he wasn't trying to bait Van Gundy, but added he believed Game 2 was cleaner, from his perspective, than Game 1.

Fisher smiled when he brought up Van Gundy's comments, specifically when he discussed accidentally being grazed in the nose by a Steve Francis elbow Monday night.

No foul was called.

"I have a reputation as a flopper according to certain coaches," Fisher said. "It didn't work for me."

Regarding the officials, Fisher said: "They actually thought I was joking around, trying to get a call on that. My nose didn't see it that way."

#18 rocksolid, Apr 20, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Fisher is a flopper.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Did anyone notice that whenever the Rockets were close, the broadcast announcers would bring some status on the Lakers injury report? It's like they were making excuses for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.