1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Twill, Dragon into rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7446886.html

From feignen

A day after the Rockets looked to the future, the players reconvened trying to focus on the games left this season.

To them, the view looked even worse than before Shane Battier and Aaron Brooks were traded Thursday.

Kevin Martin called the news of the trades "a sad day for our organization." Kyle Lowry said it was "upsetting" and "I wish they didn't do it." Chase Budinger was "saddened." Courtney Lee said it was "difficult" and "it hurts our team somewhat."

As Chuck Hayes put it, "It sucks."

A day after Battier and Ish Smith were sent to Memphis for Hasheem Thabeet and DeMarre Carroll and Aaron Brooks was dealt to Phoenix for Goran Dragic, the Rockets face the New Jersey Nets tonight having fallen far short of the Nets' jubilation after their acquisition of guard Deron Williams.

Even Rockets coach Rick Adelman described his reaction to the deals as disappointment.

"I'm disappointed losing two guys that meant a lot to our success," Adleman said. "The challenge is still the same, trying to win games down the stretch here. Different guys will have a chance to step up."

When asked how the team goes from making deals based on future seasons one day to focusing on this season's games the next, Adelman seemed to separate himself from the decisions.

"You'll have to ask the powers to be about that," Adelman said. "My job is still the same. Before the trading deadline we were trying to win games, get back in the hunt. To me, it's the same challenge. I can care less what other people are thinking. Whatever the reasons were, you have to move past that and take up the challenge."

No steps backward
    The Rockets, 11th in the West and four games out of a playoff spot, cannot afford a trade-deadline hangover.

"Coach said it; we can't take steps back," Lowry said. "We have to make a push. I'm not giving up on this year. I don't think anyone in this gym or on this team is going to give up on this year. Whatever future decisions were made, that's for the future. Right now, I want to make the playoffs, still."

With that in mind, Adelman said Chase Budinger would replace Battier in the starting lineup at forward and indicated guard/forward Terrence Williams would move into the rotation.

Hayes and Lowry said they would take on his leadership role. He said he expected Dragic to immediately become the backup point guard.

"All I know is guys are going to have chances to do things that maybe they weren't," Adelman said. "We'll find out about Terrence. We'll find out what Chase can do starting. I'll just go from there. Everybody has an opportunity they didn't have before when you lose two of your top six players."

Budinger moves into the starting lineup after scoring a career-high 30 points, matching his career high with eight rebounds, Wednesday in Cleveland, a performance he said provides confidence for his new role.

"Hopefully, I can carry over that game to the next one," Budinger said. "I know when I'm aggressive and attacking the rim, I'm a better player.

"It's a great opportunity for me. I'm not going to change the way I play. I know I'm going to get more minutes out there. That's how the NBA works. Guys get injured. Trades happen. And opportunity happens. You have to make the most out of it."

The adjustment will likely be much greater for Williams, no matter his role. Williams has played in just six games since being acquired from the Nets on Dec. 15 and was becoming increasingly and visibly frustrated. He had said he expected to be traded or to have an opportunity after the deadline, though he, too, was effusive in his praise of Brooks, a friend since childhood, and Battier.

"I know how to play basketball," Williams said. "I think that's why I'm here. It's nothing new. I'm not going to be nervous if there is opportunity. I should be all right."

'Focusing on basketball'
    But the Rockets do not know if they will be. Tonight, they begin to find out with time running out on the season.

"We lost two quality starters, and we're replacing them with backups, so who knows?" Martin said. "Other guys are going to have to step up and see what kind of production we get from them.

"We know this is the team we have right now. All the trade talk is over. We can go back to focusing on basketball and I think guys are ready for that."

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Now we get to find out if T-Will can really play in our system.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Lowry and co need to wake up! Forget Battier. Listen to Adelman and do your job. I hope this negative attitude goes away soon,otherwise everyone needs to be shipped out.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

These guys are teammates and friends. They were working together to try to make the playoffs. They lost 2 starters and replaced them with 2 bench players. You can't expect them not to be disappointed in that.

5. saleem

I hope Adelman will give T-Will minutes. We have nothing to lose. Williams does need to play within the system though. It will be interesting to see how he and Dragon do.

6. saleem

Disappointment is one thing,but they need to get over it quickly.

7. Rileydog

Actually, we lost 1 starter in Shane and a guy that was killing us, AB.

The guys are professionals. They know that AB could have turned it around, but as he was playing, he was killing the team's chances. it's undeniable.

If they're sad, it's bc they know Buddinger's not up to the task of starting.

I want to see Twill start before the year end. It's not that he's better than Budd. You just can't have Budd and Martin on the court at the same time.

Lowry/Martin/Williams/Scola/Hayes

Dragon/Lee/Budd/PatPat/Miller or Hill

Much better balance doing it this way.

For the record, I can't wait to see Twill/PatPat pick and roll.

that is the near term future of this team.

1 person likes this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Whatever. Their reaction is natural, and appropriate. You can't ask players to fight for one another throughout the season and then be completely numb when their teammates are traded away.

9. MadMax

exactly. these are human beings...not machines, Darryl Morey...I mean, saleem.

10. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Kinda funny that there wasnt even a mention of our new center. You know the position we really needed to fill.

11. MadMax

Heard Craig Ackerman say on the radio yesterday morning that he thought it was likely Thabeet may not see any minutes at all this season as the Rox fight for the 8th spot. That only if they fell out of contention entirely would he see any real minutes.

woo flipping hoo.

12. MadRox

MadRox Member

Agreed, we actually had 5 impotent defenders on our regular rotation (AB,Bud,Martin,Scola,Miller) that's making us almost the worst defensive team. We got rid of one, need to move two more hopefully by next season. When Yao and Deke were playing, we could afford couple weak links in defense, not now. We need to cut down weak defenders to no more than one for starter and one for bench. Preferably Miller and Bud, replaced by TWill and Thabeet or newly acquired players next season. With that said, I'm very excited to see two presumably above average defenders in TWill and Dragic into our rotation.

13. highlander3128

"With that in mind, Adelman said Chase Budinger would replace Battier in the starting lineup at forward and indicated guard/forward Terrence Williams would move into the rotation."

This alone is enough to make my day except:

"Chase Budinger would replace Battier in the starting lineup at forward"

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

So we basically traded for T-Will AGAIN lol. I'm really excited about this team, they have finally understood development is the key and while fighting for a spot, playing the young guys and getting them on the same page looks like the main focus here. You take Scola and Miller out of the equation and this is now a SUPER young basketball team.

15. Rileydog

Actually, starting Chase is the right thing to do. He is either starting caliber material or not. Only 1 way to find out. Will he get his ass kicked by other starting SF's. Will he become tougher and more aggressive.

If Chase proves himself in the remaining games, great. We have an answer. If he fails, well, he is a good rotation/bench player and we have our answer.

In either case, we will know whether we need a new starting SF, whether that's Twill or someone else.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Based on the schedule (4 games in 5 days) I doubt that you see any of Thabeet until after they've had some days off to practice. The earliest that I'd think you'd have a chance to see him is next Saturday's Indiana game but who knows, if he's active and there's a blowout.

17. saleem

Lobbying to get Shane back may be natural,but I see it as a sign of weakness. If you think differently,that's fine with me.

18. highlander3128

Well I guess I have to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Let's see how it pans out.

To be honest, I already have nightmare just imagining him and KevMart both in the staring line up.

We are going to have zero perimeter defense. Way to go.

19. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

T-Will or T-Wont play?

20. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'm excited to see T-Will play tonight, against his old team the NJ nets. I'm also a little disapointed that I probably wont get to see Thabeet play tonight, I was excited to see him go up against Lopez. Its rare now a days to see a size match up like Thabeet 7'3 vs Lopez 7'1 inside the paint; a true center match up...:eek: