1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]Tmac in long meeting with DM & RA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Dec 29, 2008.

1. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Straight from Chron....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6184778.html

As the Rockets completed their warm-ups and returned to the Toyota Center locker room Saturday, word spread that Tracy McGrady would not play.

Teammates were stunned by the 11th-hour decision and spread the word like hot new gossip. The news brought shock and questions, even almost amusement at their season in which every gathering brings updates of who will and will not play.

In the offices a few feet away, a day after McGrady had said his sore left knee had felt “pretty good” only to be unable to play a day later, McGrady was in a long, pregame meeting with Rockets coach Rick Adelman and general manager Daryl Morey, discussing his decision and plans.

Morey said Sunday that McGrady vowed in that pregame meeting to return fully committed to playing, likely beginning tonight against the Washington Wizards, and to playing with energy and intensity. But the Rockets’ season of uncertainty — as the news that McGrady could not play spread, Ron Artest changed his mind to say he could — had grown stranger and more unpredictable.

“It’s getting hard,” Rockets guard Rafer Alston said. “You don’t know who you have day in, day out.

“I know one person it’s hard on, and that’s coach Adelman. I can imagine his preparation from the daytime when he gets up to the nighttime. He may think he has all his guys, and when he gets to the arena, he’s missing two or three guys.

“As players, we have to get going. We have to find a way to get our health issues under control, though they’re uncontrollable, and get everybody on the court. We understand injuries are part of it. We worry about time missed because of how strong our league is right now. To have guys in and out, to stay in the playoff fight is crucial right now.”

The uncertainty is far from limited to McGrady. Artest and Shane Battier are considered day-to-day for the foreseeable future. After playing four games in five nights, Artest reported the next morning that his right ankle had worsened, then returned to Houston for treatment rather than go to New Orleans for Friday’s game.

He arrived at Toyota Center on Saturday to say he could not play, but then chose to play when he learned McGrady could not.

“I’ll be fine,” Artest said. “It’s heading down the same course it was originally. It’s going to get better. You break your leg, you don’t want to go bungee jumping. You want to rest or it’s never going to heal. I was bungee jumping by playing the games. It happens, but it’s a longer process than if I had taken the time off. But we won a lot of those games I played. I’m not frustrated or upset.”

But Artest did expect that others would be.
    Wife objects

“There are a few people, especially my wife,” Artest said. “I told her I wasn’t playing. She said, ‘Do not get out there and go play.’ It would have been smart to rest it. Hopefully, I can get some days to get healthy. My main thing is going into the playoffs, I can hopefully be 100 percent.”

Adelman said he learned that Artest would be playing “Just before the game.”

“It’s tough,” Adelman said. “You never know what is going to happen. It’s tough on the other guys, too, because they never know where they are going to be in the rotation or what the rotation is going to be. But there is not much we can do about it right now and address it. We have a ton of games coming up. ”

Rockets guard Luther Head, who went from not playing in Cleveland to 12 minutes in New Orleans and starting Saturday against the Jazz, said he has become so accustomed to his changing role that he has learned to “stay ready for anything.”

That has become team policy.

“We got the guys we got,” forward Chuck Hayes said. “Whoever is out there on the court at the time, that’s who we’re rolling with. If they feel like they can’t give us everything they have, if the training staff or the coaches or the people in the front office feel it’s best for them to sit, then hey, I have no control over it. The guys on the court, myself included, have to go out there and try to get the win and play through it.”
    Used to adjustments

Though Saturday’s twists might have reached a new level for uncertainty, the Rockets seem well-practiced at adjustments. They have played just one game this season at full strength, and have had nine starting lineups.

Teams such as tonight’s opponent, playing all season without Gilbert Arenas and Brendan Haywood, will feel little sympathy. Still, the Rockets have had a remarkable amount of injury issues for a team that has usually had injured players considered day-to-day, to the point that they might now have to be considered hour-to-hour.

“Oh, it’s already 30 games into the season,” Yao Ming said. “We already had enough about this. We know how to play in this situation. Injuries are not an excuse, no.”

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. ibm

ibm Member

Morey said Sunday that McGrady vowed in that pregame meeting to return fully committed to playing, likely beginning tonight against the Washington Wizards, and to playing with energy and intensity. But the Rockets’ season of uncertainty — as the news that McGrady could not play spread, Ron Artest changed his mind to say he could — had grown stranger and more unpredictable.

like i said in another thread, it ain't feel too good for the moment.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Things are getting interesting now.

The one part sounds like a kid in the principal's office along with one of his teachers.

4. ibm

ibm Member

there is the knee, and - ??

for some reason i feel there's something else. hopefully the team can ride out of this soon.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Management is probably fed up with him,but can't move him because of his huge contract. If he can't play at a high level,sit out. If he wants to play,
    he has to be physically and mentally ready to get the job done.

6. Tornadoofsoul6

Is Ron going to be active or is he going to rest up for the Washington game?

7. BrooksBall

Hah, I guess it depends on McGrady.

8. worzel gummidge

9. BrooksBall

This sounds a little like the Kobe tantrum from the beginning of last season.

The difference is Kobe was pouting because his team sucked while McGrady is pouting because he, himself, sucks.

Kobe wanted to get traded. McGrady wants to get paid not to play at all.

10. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

This is very, very interesting. I had my eyes :eek: while reading.

A suspense...a thriller...I can't wait for the ending to unfold

11. Champ06

Champ06 Member

“Oh, it’s already 30 games into the season,” Yao Ming said. “We already had enough about this. We know how to play in this situation. Injuries are not an excuse, no.”

So the word is out. No more excuse.... So, what about the fans.

12. tsunami

tsunami Member

did you claim no playoffs for rockets, and TMAC led us to 22 win streak ? don't underestimate tmac's heart.

13. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

If he's got so much heart why are Morey and Adelman talking to him about playing with passion and intensity?

14. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

and to playing with energy and intensity

MAKE IT HAPPEN T-MAC

15. caneks

caneks Rookie

I love to watch NBA game and don't want to see this kind of off-court drama.

16. Bassem

Bassem Member

Tracy wants his paycheck, but doesn't want to look bad when playing, so that he doesn't losit. The management is trying to put him in check, and want him to play at a high level, and be reliable, because what he s doing right now is quite a bit annoying and worrisome. He is not too confident in himself, and is feeling that he can hid or run away from playing because he believes he won't perform well.

Well, obviously, that won't work, and when you struggle, you have to play through the struggles and fight, not run away. Hopefully he starts working extra hard on his game, and learns to play with that knee isntead of running away because it bothers him.

17. rockets_fanatic

I have been back Tracy for the entire season.
    It is now time for him to live by his word. If he has said he is going to return fully commited and play with intensity I want ot see it. If he can't go, he needs to say he can't go.

18. BrooksBall

did TMAC once claim he going to drive to basket more and stop settling for outside shot ? don't underestimate tmac's love of the jump shot and taking the easy route.

(poor grammar and writing used intentionally for mimicking purposes)

:D

19. rockets_fanatic

SOrry for the double post.

Adelman needs to be smarter as a coach aswell. If Tracy is shooting poorly and not working hard, he needs to bench him. If he is playing bad don't play him. The same should go for Artest aswell. If he plays poorly don't play him 30 minutes.

20. Akim523

Akim523 Member

No, we all overestimated Tmac's heart.