1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Texans Hold First Organized Team Activities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, May 17, 2006.

1. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I agree, I think Pitts did an excellent job at LT. In fact I always thought it was funny that everyone in the media was saying me needed a LT to protect Carr. To me our guard play was atrocious. Milford was a good run blocker but was horrible in pass protection. Once Weigart moved to RT we never could solitify the RG position.

I will say this though, when we draft Wand, Boselli was still on the team and he was frequently on the 610am morning show and Lance asked TB about Wand and he was VERY positive regarding Wand. TB did say it would take some time to develop because he was from a smaller school, but he thought Wand would end up being very good. Take it for what it is worth.

2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

The fact that the new coaches are high on Wand, leads me to believe that he has the physical capacity.

Whether that translates into smarts is a different story.

Honestly, I thought that one of the draft picks would be a RT starter with McCrappy at LG and Pitss at LT. That leaves Weeg at RG with our new center.

If Wand turns out to be a positive, this line has pretty good depth.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He's always had the physical capacity...the question has been his technique, heart, and brains. He lacked proper coaching, so hopefully Sherman can turn this dude around.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yep, it should be interesting to see how/if he develops with the new regime.

I heard McClain on the radio this morning saying that Wand has great footwork and, with the Denver offensive scheme that Kubs is bringing in, this is the most important thing for an O lineman. He also reminded me that we were 7-9 in 2004 with him starting at left tackle. I forgot that he was the starter that year.

McClain seems to think that Pendry had a lot to do with the horrible O-line performance last year. I mean, when he was promoted to OC, we couldn't even get a play in before the playclock ran out.

And, he mentioned last years game against Phoenix when we let Carr take control of the offense (instead of Pendry) and he put up 24 points in 1 half.

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Is anyone else beggining to realize that, in the schemes vs. talent debate, I think the (coaching) schemes had a lot to do with it. Granted, our talent level has increased almost ten-fold since the end of last year. But think about how many guys we had playing out of position. Think about how many times we couldn't get the play in on time, etc.

I'm really glad we've seemingly fixed the coaching problem. I think Sherman especially is a great hire. When you're a first time head coach, how great is it to have a guy who's led a team to the playoffs and coached under some truly great names in his career as your right hand man? How much better a coach is he than Pendry? I mean, it's a laughable question!

6. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Also, I think it is important to note that with all the coaching changes that have taken place this off season I do not think either Pendry or Fangio were offered jobs.

7. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Neither was Chris Palmer. It's sad how much Palmer has fallen. From Head Coach to Offensive Coordinator to the Bread Line.

8. swilkins

Didn't Palmer go to Dallas?

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's the OC there.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought he was like, OC of passing offense or something? Didn't he get some weird position created for him there?

11. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

So he went to Dallas I see. Well, I still stand by my statement. Being the offensive coordinator of the Pansies equates to hitting the bread line :)

12. Buck Turgidson

from espn.com:

Palmer, who agreed to a two-year contract, will be the team's quarterbacks coach. Ostensibly, he replaces assistant head coach/passing game coordinator Sean Payton, who left Dallas two weeks ago to become the New Orleans Saints head coach. It is expected that Palmer will have major input into the passing game but anticipated that coach Bill Parcells likely will resume play-calling duty.

13. ima_drummer2k

That's the key phrase. :D

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Fangio was fired (tarred, feathered and run out of town) from the Colts when Capers hired him. I remember wondering why the Houston media didn't make an issue of it because he failed so miserably in Indy it was a shame. It's one of the reasons I never gave Dom Capers a honeymoon.

15. swilkins

Could you elaborate on this?

You are a 2006 CF member which doesn't provide much to work with.

I'm interested, honestly.

16. ima_drummer2k

Ah, now this is what I like to see. This is the reason I think Carr is going to have a breakout year.

[​IMG]

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Maybe so. Although from what I remember the Texans sacks numbers weren't too bad the year he started the full season. I never understood why they demoted him in the first place.

18. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Some of the things that I am really looking forward to seeing this year is Carr having more poise in the pocket and throwing the ball away at the right time and completing a couple of passes to an improved receiving corp.

I'm also looking forward to seeing some pass rush and pressure on the opposing QB. Adding Weaver and Williams as DE's and letting Smith and Johnson move to 4-3 tackles should help them tremendously. With Babin, Peek and Payne thats a good amount of depth for the D-line.

I'm really excited for the season to get here and see the improved play of the Texans, so I can forget the abysmal play of last year.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Found this on HPF.com, McNair should invite both Smith and Jones to Houston for mini camp.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I was hoping to see some videos of the Texans on their site. But it's down right now, and the NFL.com videos aren't working and there is on of Carr on Texans Cam.