1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Texans' Babin revved up with move back to defensive end

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, May 24, 2006.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've been one of his harshest critics, but I'm willing to wait and see how he performs now that he's back at his natural postion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 24, 2006, 7:32AM
    Texans' Babin revved up with move back to defensive end

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Jason Babin made a name for himself at Western Michigan because of his pass-rushing ability at defensive end. The Texans made him a first-round draft pick and converted him to outside linebacker, handing him the starting job as a rookie in 2004.

The transition wasn't exactly smooth. And now, after two up-and-down years at linebacker, Babin is returning "home" to defensive end, where he hopes to regain the dominance he knew in college.

"It almost feels like I'm a rookie again," Babin said. "Everything feels new and fresh.

"Obviously, I'm a little rusty playing end. As far as the feel of it and how much I enjoy it, I mean, I love it. It's what I played in college. It's not nearly as much learning and thinking. It's straight-ahead attacking. It's not like playing outside linebacker."

Babin often struggled, especially last season, in former defensive coordinator Vic Fangio's 3-4 scheme, which required patient read-and-react play from the outside linebackers. Babin's strong suit is being aggressive and attacking the quarterback. Now, Babin moves to end, where he can showcase the strengths that attracted the Texans to him in the first place.

Babin, who turns 26 today, spent the offseason in Houston working out and eating, hoping to gain more weight as he prepares to go against offensive tackles consistently. But at 6-2, 271 pounds, Babin remains one of the smaller linemen on the Texans' roster. It's Babin's size, coupled with his skills, that defensive coordinator Richard Smith hopes to utilize.

"He's not going to be stuck on the inside," Smith said. "We have him on the open side where he is on the edge, where we can utilize his speed and athletic ability.

"Right now, it's him and Antwan (Peek) at that position, and we think it's a real good one-two punch where they are able to relieve each other. Right now we don't look at it like who's the starter and who's the backup. Both of those guys are competing together to make that a great spot and a great position."

Rookie Mario Williams is playing opposite Peek and Babin on the left side. Free-agent signee Anthony Weaver is taking the majority of his repetitions at right tackle, leaving Seth Payne and Robaire Smith to alternate at the other tackle position.

"Everybody is pushing each other," Babin said. "There are guys out here that have started in the league a long time, and now we're all fighting for jobs. If anything, it's going to make everybody better.

"And I know from what the coaches say that we're all going to get a lot of playing time. The way we're going to be playing, you can get tired quick. We're going to have a rotation there."

Babin began last season with a shoulder injury, which contributed to a drop-off in his play. He was demoted after Week 2 and sat out four weeks before returning to start just one of the final 10 games. He played primarily in passing situations, sharing a linebacker spot with Shantee Orr.

Babin finished the season strong, collecting all four of his sacks in the final three weeks.

"What I like about him is he's very conscientious," Richard Smith said. "He's a good athlete, shows tremendous speed at the position. He's able to play with leverage, and I think if you're able to do those things, you have a chance to be successful."

The key for Babin at this point is repetition. He has plenty of motivation from the past two seasons to help push him.

"Everybody knows last season was tough for myself and for the team, for Houston and for the coaches," Babin said. "But when you go through those tough times like that, it makes winning feel so much better."

LINK

2. Summer Song Giver

How many millions is that alternating at the "other tackle"

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know, it's weird. I don't think I've ever felt so in the dark with a professional sports team before. Even players that are on the team and have been here for several years, it's kind of up in the air as to how well they will perform. This team, with all its young talent, could really take to the new coaching schemes and impress us, or it could be more of the same as last season.

Will Carr figure out how to make his reads progressively? Will he have time to do so? If not, is it because the talent on the line sucks or does the coaching suck? Will we be able to get to the QB? Will it be because our ends can't rush well? There is very little on this team coming into 2006 that you can say is a known quantity. It's scary in a way, but also kind of fun because it doesn't take THAT much imagination to picture a huge turn around from last season, if draft picks pan out and a few things fall our way. I just wish we didn't have to wait until September to start getting an idea of which it is going to be.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

excellent post raven, my sentiments exactly. of course the spin machine at 610 has it all positive, but you really don't know.

edit: this is also why I was so against charlie being here for the draft, its such a transitional year that I really felt a lame duck gm should have been involved. it wasn't business as usual.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Gotta love how our first round pick from last year-the same guy we passed on DJ for-isn't even mentioned. Of course, trading down did get us Winston, so who knows?

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don't forget that TJ will and should be in the mix as well.

As for Babin, I really want to give this guy a chance but I just don't see what was so great about him that we had to trade up for. At 6-2, he is already very undersized and I don't see any athleticism anywhere near Peek.

Hopefully I am wrong though.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hear ya, but I'd rather have the best 11 on the field regardless of salary or contract or draft order. None of that stuff matters between the end zones. Seems like that's the way Kubes is approaching it and I'm glad.

Totally agree, Raven. The good news is that we can't get much worse than last year. ;) But yeah, the 'unknown' factor is there for me too. I guess that's why I'm so pumped about the season.

My friend sent me a blog from a writer who was at the 'activities' all last week. I didn't post it because there was no link and it didn't even say who wrote it. But this writer said that the pace of practice had picked up 10 fold from last year. The players are more excited, lots of yelling, several scuffles (this is a good thing IMO) and best of all, Carr was throwing to his 2nd and 3rd reads and really threading the needle to Moulds and AJ. Lot's of throwing to the TE as well.

Like I said, I don't know who wrote the article, so take it for what it's worth.

8. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Babin showed a lot of toughness last year playing with the wrecked shoulder early on. He payed OK the last few games when he came back after injury. I think the Texans are treating him him properly. Get him out there in practice, see what he can do. They have plenty of defensive players in camp if Babin an/or Peek are not as good as we hope.
    Peek is the same as Babin. Assume they are a rotation player, get them all the work and reps in practice, play them a lot in pre season. I can't wait for preseason. Both Peek and Babin will not be double teamed, and they will have a primary job to rush the passer. If they are good, we should know by August.
    The comment on last years number one pick, Travis Johnson, is right on. Maybe after Kubiak watched all the tape from last year he could not remember T Johnson making any plays. I don't recall a thing from him, except he talks a good game. He admires Deacon Jones, and played like Shirley Jones. Actually, I am sure he will get the same chance as everyone else on the D line in practice and preseason. I am hoping Travis had a bad case of last year's Texan disease, and he starts out fresh this year with a long time,dominating the tackle position ahead of him with the Texans.

9. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Does anybody know a current 40 time for Peek and Babin.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think NFL teams bother to measure 40 times for their players after they make a team.

11. Summer Song Giver

My statement was more a kick in the balls directed toward the previous regime :D
    Put the best 11 on the field and deal with the other stuff off of the field.

I do not think Payne will be in the rotation long as he is more of a space eater better designed for the 3-4 not to mention his age and injury concerns; Robaire, Weaver, and TJ will be the main guys at DT; if Peek and Babin can show an ability to get to the passer we may see them both at end with Mario at DT in obvious passing situations.

12. FireBlizzard90

sorry, since i started following the texans starting this year, but who is DJ? all i know is that he was with texas. what position? whats his current team? what draft pick was he?

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not to comment on whether we had to trade up or whatever, but the thing that I remeber from the little snippets of college film was that when he made contact with an offensive lineman he had great hands and forearm strength and he seemed to do a really nice job of utilizing leverage.

I think that these are two things that may not have been particularly evident (assuming that these would be strengths at an NFL level) when he was not rushing the passer fulltime.

IIRC several years ago when the Jets went from 3-4 to 4-3 they had a very average LB who was a converted DE who turned into a monster sack machine when he went back to DE.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Derrick Johnson, LB, Chiefs, 15th

15. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I knew I shouldn't trust my no sports following, jump on the bandwagon when the team is winning friends. They told me they announced he would play linebacker. I thought that was weird as there would be no reason to announce that. That would be like announcing that Carr will be playing QB.