1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Team breaks out new hand gesture for the playoffs, infuriating coach, delight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Uprising, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Rockets showing signs of the times
    Team breaks out new hand gesture for the playoffs, infuriating coach, delighting bench
    By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

[​IMG]

As if the Rockets weren't flashy enough with Dikembe Mutombo's finger wagging, Tracy McGrady's exaggerated expressions and Jon Barry's mini-dances, a new "secret" hand signal has been added to their repertoire.

Bob Sura and Jon Barry flashed the Rockets' latest celebratory sign in Game 1 and brought it back in Game 2 against Dallas. The most notable time came in the fourth quarter Monday, when Sura knocked down his secondc consecutive 3-pointer to cut the Mavericks' lead to two, 109-107.

Sura bent at the waist, stretched out his arm and looked toward the Rockets' bench, waving his hand — in which he had his thumb and index finger forming a circle and his other three fingers outstretched. It's similar to the 3-point symbol Walt Williams used to flash over his head, except the Rockets aim it closer to the floor.

The reserves responded to Sura by jumping to their feet and flashing the symbol back at him, while Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy stood next to the bench screaming at Sura to get back on defense. The Mavericks promptly called timeout, letting Sura off the hook — for the moment.

While the Rockets have become enamored with their latest on-court gesture, Van Gundy has yet to warm up to it.

"He hates it," guard David Wesley said. "He likes the enthusiasm and he likes the energy and passion it brings, but when you're doing that after a shot and not getting back, it's driving him crazy. So he's not really loving it that much."

Maybe if the players would let Van Gundy in on the origin of the sign, he'd be more apt to take part. Members of the group are trying to keep the meaning close to home — but at the same time, they can't help but talk about it.

While the players only bring it out after hitting 3-pointers, the three fingers are not actually representing the number of points scored.

"It's actually a Jon Barry thing from way back," Wesley said. "It wasn't even a basketball thing. It was actually a part of a dance, not to go into major details, of Jon Barry's. Actually, Vin Baker told a story and Sura was like, 'We could actually use that.' "

The players started making the hand motion while playing cards together the past few months, and then Sura and Barry decided they should start using it when they hit 3s in games.

"They looked at me and said, 'Well, no, David's too serious to do it,' " Wesley said. "And probably on my 3, I probably wouldn't be thinking about it, which Coach would like. But when I'm on the bench, it's a lot of fun to do. It took off from there. Now we have fans in the stands doing it."

When the players brought the gesture out in the playoffs, it definitely seemed to spark the entire team.

The bench was on its feet screaming — yet so was Van Gundy, who didn't let the hand sign distract him from the game Monday but made sure to revisit it at practice on Tuesday.

"Jeff's not a big fan," Barry said. "We'll see who tries it on Thursday. It ain't going to be me."

Sura made the assurance he will bring it back in Game 3 if he hits a 3. Toward the beginning of the season, Van Gundy told Mutombo he would be benched if he wagged his finger after blocks. But Mutombo's still wagging.

The Rockets have had a flair for the dramatic all season. They chest-bump each other at big moments, and Barry often pounds his chest and pump his fists toward the fans.

McGrady has his own way of responding when he makes a big shot or dunk. He distorts his face into various expressions as if to say, "I'm the man! You're not." He flashed that look after his huge dunk over Shawn Bradley in Game 2, and again when he nailed the game-winner with 2.2 seconds to play. Chest bumps promptly followed.

So while the Rockets may have already had enough creative ways to celebrate, it's not so much the hand signal they relish flashing on the court, but rather the reaction they receive when they do it.

"I just see our bench up, every single guy, every single basket," Barry said. "Especially on the road, that's something you need. It's us against 20,000 people. To know you have your teammates over there having confidence in you and cheering for you, is a boost. It's special. It's been fun."

megan.manfull@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/3155694

#1 Uprising, Apr 26, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  2. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

3. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Great freaking article. Nice to see more non-statistic/strategy-based Rockets stories, especially giving little insights into the quirks of the guys on the team. I think it's hilarious that these guys have this little secret handshake thing that they love and the coach hates. It's so "Breakfast Club" (or "[Insert John Hughes Film Title Here]").

All kidding aside, I hope I'm seeing that gesture on the court so much that it starts to annoy me. Because I'd probably start to get annoyed in the last two minutes of a blowout fourth quarter of a four game Rockets sweep of the Finals.

4. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

LOL that's great

I just went and checked out the highlights from the game and saw the bench doing it. I kept watching Mutombo do it because his hands wave around so much and it looks hilarious.

5. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Ha ha ha! At least we know *some* of the story behind it. :D No problem. But they better not get to carried away with it. It could add fuel to the fire of the oppostion. And Jeff respects the opposing coach/team. Jeff likes intense celebration and high-fives. But he doesn't like showboating.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I was talking to the guys at Legends about this last night. I've seen Barry do it alot over the last few games, but never saw Sura do it until last night.

They better pay JVG some respect and get back on D though.

7. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I like the hand gesture T-Mac did after that winning shot, smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.

8. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

sura faints.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Might be Vin's biggest contribution to this team.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Great, he's completely lost control of the team. What now? :(

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

If everyone in the stands isn't doing that during game 3, we suck as fans.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Agreed.

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

After reading this article I want to sound out a classic theme that I would like the Rockets and us fans to adopt one more time: stay humble and stay hungry. I like the enthusiasm and confidence, but screw the little hand gestures. The playoffs are no time for joy even for the fans. I want a grimly determined band of brothers (and sisters amongst the fans) who don't have time for anything but the next defensive set, forcing bad shots, getting rebounds, getting off a good shot on the offensive end and making an unholy racket in support of the team.

What will it take for us to close this series out? The Rockets and their fans need to play as if we were down 2-0. Play with the crazed and homicidal desperation of a cornered wolverine. I want even the yuppiest of yuppies to find their inner redneck and raise holy hell at every home game. I would be there like a pack of crazed dogs (thanks LT) if only I could. As for the Rockets, I want us to focus on blocking out for rebounds, helping on defense and finding the open man. I want a team that would rather chew broken glass than let a loose ball go the other way.

In conclusion, I am calling for a laser like focus from my Clutch City brothers and sisters that *completely ignores* the opposition and their fans and their owner's hair and their plastic snobby town. I am confident that the players and coaches feel the same way. Let's adopt their hunger and focus. I don't care who the Rockets play in the future. I only care about game three. Let's kick their ass!

#14 BMoney, Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  15. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

this team is so close. they just love being around and playing with one another. you don't see that much in this league.

16. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

i have no idea what it means, but i bet it is dirty as hell.

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

dude it's the "throwing the q-tip away" dance move. Like from the movie Hitch

:D ;)

18. superden

superden Contributing Member

19. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

My friends and I back in middle school and high school used to play a game using that sign. If you flashed that sign below your waist and got someone to look at it then you could punch them. Did anyone else do this or was this just an Humble thing??? Anyway it was fun trying to fake people into looking at it, I got my share of hits and did my share of hitting. Just being a stupid kid I guess.

20. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I saw this game being played on an episode of Malcom in the Middle, so I guess it's been around.