1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] - T-mac on Yao's shoes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigM, Oct 10, 2006.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4247414.html

this is the updated article with some interesting quotes from t-mac, taking van gundy's side in this:

"We've got to do something about those damn shoes," said McGrady, who endorses adidas. "We've got to do something about those Reebok shoes. I know adidas owns Reebok, but we've got to switch him over. After feeling his shoe this morning — I felt the inside of the toe — it is extremely hard. I felt mine, and mine is pretty soft. I think it's the shoe with all the jamming against the hard shell of the shoe. They have to do something about that, because we need the big fella on the court.

"I would think a guy of his magnitude, of his stature, they would fix his shoe situation so he wouldn't have to deal with that, especially coming into this season when he dealt with it last year. Yao has to really get on them about that."

2. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

tmac laying down the law

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

He better get a new pair soon.

4. superden

superden Contributing Member

What bad rep for reebok. The Rockets are really pushing the issue with this shoe.

5. pchan

pchan Member

I have said the same thing in another post.. they ought to switch yao to adidas.

I am starting to feel this is a plan to destroy reebok public rep to get rid of it once and for all.

6. Zach Kang

Zach Kang Member

Reebok is officially doomed in China

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Anyone who plays basketball knows how much of a difference shoes make. Something MUST be done to fix this problem. If Yao can't switch to Nike, he should atleast switch to Adidas. :(

8. SladeRider

SladeRider Member

I feel it is indeed time for Yao to switch over to Addidas shoes, some have said it's not a problem with the shoe but now that Yao has needed to have the nail removed once again and even T-Mac taking a look at the shoe. It's time for Yao to stop wearing the Reebox shoes as they have not helped with the problem and just seem to be causing the problem.

Hopefully, Yao will take the advice of JVG and T-Mac and change his shoes when he comes back in 7 to 10 days.

9. mozilla

mozilla Member

my question: where's yao, what does he have to say...?

10. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

JVG's response to Huizinga's smart aleck remarks:

Reebok officials last week said Yao's shoes are not to blame for his problems, and his agent, John Huizinga, joked that maybe Yao is allergic to Van Gundy. Both pointed out that Yao wore the shoes during the World Championships.

"What does that mean?" Van Gundy said. "That would not be my response. My response would be, 'That is six games, and that has little impact on what's going on now.' My response would be, 'I'm going to look into the problem, and I'm going to try to get the problem fixed.'

"I don't understand some people's reaction. It was going to be Monday he was going to be back on the floor. 'No problem. No problem. No problem.' Now it's 10 days from now."

11. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

Dayum, maybe there is something more to this shoe issue.

12. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

maybe this issue caused global warming? :eek:

13. jasdaman57

jasdaman57 Member

Tmac speaks on behalf of Yao ;)

14. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

Wow, really. He should suggest Yao to sign with Adidas and to make a new ad for 111.
    :D :D :D

15. piyong

piyong Member

Regarding T-Mac said, is new pair (fixed) shoes or the old one?

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yao said it himself. "The shoes are fine."... "I think the shoe's always very important," Yao said. "I use the same kind of shoes. It never brings me any problems... "I tried (a new) one already. Part of my shoe needed adjustment, but not on the toe box. I think the shoes are on the way."

The problem isn't the shoes the problem is Van Gundy's expectations on Yao's defense. Yao's feet will probably be a problem his whole career to some degree but with the demands on help defense and pick n roll defense that JVG makes he will never be free of foot problems. I don't care what shoes he has if JVG is going to demand the type of defense from him that continually has him making sudden stops and starts Yao's feet will always be a problem.

Listen to what the man has said himself...

"The same pick-and-roll defense is what I've seen in the first two days here. When he gets down in a defensive stance, I'll let you know. But he's a diligent worker. God bless him, you don't have too many guys like him. He's just a tremendous worker. But his pick-and-roll defense may be the end of me, literally and figuratively."

That's after a day of watching Yao practice. So what do you think Van Gundy has been working on with Yao. I'd bet it wasn't his sky hook. What he wants from Yao more than anything is his pick n roll defense to improve. Which requires sudden stops and starts and I don't care what kind of shoes Yao has on 310 pounds will be slamming those toes up against them.

Add that to "The fact of the matter is, he is wearing the same shoes now he wore all through the World Championships," where he practice for over a month and played 6 intense games and where he was on the court most of the minutes, certainly he should have had some toe problems. But he didn't and in less than a weeks time of Rockets practice I repeat practice we haven't had a real game yet, Yao is experiencing toe problems. I think it is safe to say JVG's demands are having a direct impact on Yao's toes!

I know you JVG lovers will consider this a personal attack on your man but I am not even in total disagreement with him. Certainly Yao's picknroll defense helps the Rockets play better defense. But at what cost. Yao is the best defensive player on our team even when he doesn't play the picknroll at his best. We need him on the court. You just don't see big men doing it. Shaq rarely plays pick n roll defense and he no longer plays the minutes of yao. So there has got to be some compromise. Allow him to fall back and cover the basket instead or even to not work so hard and ever play. JVG is a smart guy but sometimes I think his stubborness is his downfall. He needs to be a little creative here. Of course Yao needs to stay in shape but not all of that has to be on the court. Put him on some excercise machine that doesn't impact his feet as much... allow him to run through plays at less than full speed. Think outside the box here because the alternative is bad feet and no Yao.

#16 Old Man Rock, Oct 10, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  17. a-rock

a-rock Member

didn´t vince carter once say that he would never ever would put on reebok shoes again? this might have been in order to get him a better contract, but maybe he was right and those sneakers were awful.

18. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

Nice spin. Whenever there is an injury, it's always Van Gundys fault.

I think the problem is the shoe, but Yao isn't the type to say it publicly.

BTW, I've had similar issues with my toenail before. I had to almost completely cut it off three times before it grew right. After that, no problems, so let's hope they get it right this time with Yao too.

19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I've owned one pair of Reeboks in my life... they were utter pieces of crap.

20. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Obviously, TMac is in bed with Van Gundy as a hater of Yao/Reebok/Yao's agents. TMac is probably alienating Yao now.

In fact, it's not the shoe's fault. Yao is probably just allergic to TMac since he had the same shoes for the World Championship and didn't have problems for 6 games.

Trainer Keith Jones is clearly in bed with Van Gundy, too. He said that Yao told him that Yao didn't remember being stepped on and thus Jones suspects that it's the repeated impact between his toe and his shoe that's causing the problem. Keith Jones clearly is a Van Gundy loyalist.

When Alexander fires Van Gundy, he should fire Jones and TMac, too.

Also, it's definitely reasonable that Van Gundy's demand on Yao's defense probably caused the problem. As we know, players who don't try on defense NEVER gets any injuries. Yao should stop playing D.

In fact, I think Yao's spin moves puts a lot of pressure on the toes, as does his jump shots. He should stop doing those as well.