1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]T-Mac:I'm going to do my best to turn Swift into an All-Star player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3271770

July 19, 2005, 10:57AM

Swift heads to Rockets
    Power forward's agent says deal will come soon
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets just could not take their eyes off Stromile Swift. His talents fit their needs. His potential excited their imaginations.

So they decided to pursue only one free agent, and Monday, they got him.

After 10 days in which the Rockets waited for his answer, Swift declared that he wanted to play for the Rockets, said Swift's agent, Andy Miller.

"He has decided to become a Houston Rocket," Miller said. "He's absolutely excited about playing with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. The Houston organization has been very consistent and adamant about getting him."

In Swift, 25, a 6-10 bundle of athleticism and unrealized potential, the Rockets get the sort of explosiveness they wanted between Yao and McGrady.

In five seasons with the Grizzlies, Swift has averaged nine points and five rebounds but never cracked the starting lineup while usually playing behind Pau Gasol.

Given his athletic abilities, and that he was the second player chosen in the 2000 draft out of LSU, he had been called an underachiever. But the Rockets viewed him as a player that needed the role they offered.

"That's real, real big for us," said McGrady, who worked to recruit Swift. "I'm going to do my best to turn him into an All-Star player, too. I'm very excited about it.

"I thought he was the guy we were missing. He'll add more depth, more athleticism. It's good to have him part of us. I think he has unbelievable talent. The best is about to come out of him."

Miller would not discuss the terms of the deal. But unless the Rockets can work out a sign-and-trade arrangement with the Grizzlies, which is unlikely, the Rockets can't offer more than the midlevel exception, expected to be worth $28 million to $32 million over five years.

Players cannot sign with teams until Friday, when the new collective bargaining agreement is expected to be completed and the financial formulas that dictate such contracts should become available. Miller and the Rockets will likely work out the details this week.

"He's very excited about the opportunity," Miller said. "It's a relief that the pressure is off. He feels that he did his homework, his due diligence, and that this is a great opportunity."

Known for his leaping ability, Swift has developed the sort of solid, midrange jump shot necessary when teams double-team Yao with big men or sink into the lane to cut off McGrady.

Swift's quickness and shot-blocking ability should help the Rockets' pick-and-roll and fast-break defense in which so many teams try to force Yao to run with smaller players.

But the Rockets will need Swift to improve on the boards and consistently play with high energy.

They also will have other moves to make. To that end, Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson met with former Portland guard Damon Stoudamire on Monday at Toyota Center.

The meeting was considered preliminary and casual, a source familiar with the talks said. The Rockets do have interest in adding Stoudamire's quickness, point guard skills and shooting touch to their backcourt and Stoudamire is interested in the Rockets.

With Swift likely to take the midlevel exception, the Rockets could offer Stoudamire only a salary-cap exception expected to be worth about $1.7 million.

Stoudamire, 31, who earned $12.5 million last season, is expected to receive offers considerably larger than the Rockets', particularly from the Cavaliers, a team under the cap and looking for a point guard.

But Monday, they got the player they wanted and happily turned their thoughts to the player they believe Swift can be.

"I think it's a great pickup," McGrady said. "Carroll and the organization did great. We're going to make him work, and we're going to make him feel at home and we're going to get on with winning."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Tracy and Swift in the Open court?... i'm so excited. :D

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

ha, I couldn't decide whether to post this as a new thread and risk getting flamed since the link in the old thread goes to this new article now. So I posted this article in the Sticky this morning ;)

4. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

SS will help us, but he will never ever be an All-Star. I'm happy if T-Mac is happy but let's not get ridiculous.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

yeah - it's in the Swift thread already.

On a side note Yaowaming -- I really appreciate you posting the article threads ... but could you put a space between the [Source] and the start of the title? If not, the search engine here will think "[Chron]T-Mac" is one word. Thanks ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.