1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[chron] T-Mac counts on Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mooch, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Mooch

Mooch Member

April 25, 2005, 1:44AM
    T-Mac counts on Yao
    As Mavs gear up to slow McGrady, Rockets hope to counter with center
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

DALLAS - The double teams will come. The traps and help defenses will all shade — or run — to Tracy McGrady. The Rockets did not have to attend the Dallas Mavericks' practice to assume that much.

"I think they'll try (to get the ball out of McGrady's hands)," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "That's what I expect."

Assuming Mavericks coach Avery Johnson is not still screaming at official Joe Crawford or did not spend Sunday telling Dirk Nowitzki to put the ball in the basket more often, the Rockets felt safe in assuming Johnson would not let McGrady move so freely in tonight's Game 2.

But the Rockets also believe there is a potential answer waiting for whatever the Mavericks throw at McGrady.

The Rockets beat Dallas on Saturday with one 7-6 All-Star center tied behind their backs. McGrady and the shooters around him rolled so reliably, the Rockets got by with Yao Ming playing just 20 minutes and scoring just 11 points.

Tonight, as much as the Mavs might want Nowitzki to regain his touch, the Rockets would love to see Yao come back, too.

"If he can get rolling, you're really going to have to pick your poison," McGrady said. "Do you want to shut down me, or do you want to shut down Yao?"

McGrady has shown he can beat double teams, as he did when the Mavericks tried them when he came around screens. But Dallas surrounded Yao with early double teams and then drew him into foul trouble.

Yao took just eight shots. The Mavs made it tough for the Rockets to get the ball inside to him, but it was not impossible.

"We need to seek him more," Van Gundy said. "We passed up many opportunities (Saturday). As the play is going on, he had guys on his back. We have to do a better job of finding him."

The Rockets do not want to find him on the bench, saddled with foul trouble. Yao fouled out of eight games in the regular season. But he now has fouled out of two of the five meetings with Dallas.

"I have to move my feet more quickly, keep my hands clear and keep my hands upstairs above my head, maybe let the referees see I didn't do anything with my hands," Yao said. "I think they will double-team Tracy more right now because he is a scorer and also he is a great passer.

"If I can get away from more foul trouble and get more minutes, I think I can do more ... going to the rim. After pick-and-rolls, they would put one big or one big and one small on (McGrady). That means they have no more size in the paint. Like (Saturday), Mike James did a great job when they doubled hard on Tracy. I have done that well. I have to do that well."

McGrady likely will have to lead the Rockets' offense no matter how Dallas defends him. Besides making 14 of 27 shots Saturday, he came around screens to draw fouls on the Mavs' big men or drive past them into the lane, drawing help that left teammates open.

Though it is easier to use schemes to keep the ball out of the hands of a low-post scorer than a ballhandler, the Mavericks likely will try to force McGrady to give up the ball early in possessions.

"Whatever they throw at me, it's not going to be something I haven't seen before," McGrady said. "It's just up to me to make the right play, the right decision for the team. I'm pretty sure they're going to change something in the way they defend us, but it's not going to be something I haven't seen before."

If the Mavericks send early help to McGrady, it makes it difficult to deny Yao the ball. Dallas likely will still try to help after Yao catches passes inside and certainly when he begins a move. Now that the Mavs can expect Ryan Bowen to play significant minutes — he played 31 on Saturday — they might even use Nowitzki to help on Yao.

The Rockets believe that one way or another, they can benefit from Yao's becoming more involved in the offense.

"For one, we have to keep Yao on the basketball court for him to be effective," McGrady said. "But it will be key to get him rolling. It's going to take some pressure off me, but it's also going to open up a lot of other guys we count on knocking down perimeter jumpers.

"In order for us to win this series, it's going to take both of us. I told him in the second half, 'You have to move your feet. Stay out of foul trouble.' But I'm sure he's going to be more effective, more productive in Game 2."

That is the idea.

"I know he's going to respond for us," reserve center Dikembe Mutombo said of Yao. "I know he's going to come back and give us something."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com
    Rockets Summary

Running interference
    The Rockets watched Mavericks coach Avery Johnson's meltdown in the last minutes of Game 1 and afterward. Rockets director of team security Butch Grant even played a role, restraining and calming Johnson when he appeared ready to go after official Joe Crawford after the game.

Grant took all kinds of kidding Sunday for preventing Johnson from getting too out of control, even if it was unlikely Johnson would have gone far enough to need Grant's help.

"I don't think he would have taken it that far," Rockets guard David Wesley said. "I think he wanted the technical. I think he wanted to get run. But Joey wouldn't give him the satisfaction."

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy was close enough to hear Johnson's accusation that Crawford swallowed his whistle late in the game, though the Mavericks shot 42 free throws.

"I don't get into that stuff," Van Gundy said. "They shot 30 free throws in the second half. That's all I know. I'm not sure what the complaint was."

Good win, bad formula
    After a tough game filled with struggles and breakdowns, improvement had to be made. But it was the Rockets, winners of Game 1, who said they must do better in Game 2 tonight.

"It was a good win, but that win won't win the series," coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "Forty-two free throws, 19 second shots, 14-2 in fast-break points. That's a bad formula for us. We have to do better. What they did is they missed shots. We have more to learn ... than they do.

"We were just tortured in the second half. Thirty free throws. Ten second shots in the fourth quarter. That won't hold up to win the series."

After initially declining to say whether he would again start Ryan Bowen against Dirk Nowitzki, Van Gundy said: "I would suspect we'll start the same starters (tonight)."

Expecting a rebound
    The last thing the Mavericks can afford at this point is for Dirk Nowitzki to feel a greater burden to carry their offense. They can't have him taking the floor still thinking about his 5-for-19 shooting in Game 1. Which is why they continued to close ranks and show no outward concern.

"Dirk is fine," Michael Finley said. "There's nothing that Houston did to rattle him. Shots that he was missing he normally makes. So I'm not worried about Dirk's performance."

Defensing T-Mac
    Mavs coach Avery Johnson obviously has to make some kind of adjustment to his defense against Tracy McGrady. But he already was sounding like a man out of options.

"We tried everything," Johnson said. "Guarding him with two people, three people, one, none, and nothing worked."

Low-water mark
    After finishing the regular season averaging 102.5 points a game, the Mavericks managed only 24 field goals in Game 1, an all-time playoff low for the Dallas franchise.

JONATHAN FEIGEN, FRAN BLINEBURY

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3151532

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

two good articles overall. haha i was suprised to find though the best part was the very end.

:)

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Van Gundy said: "I would suspect we'll start the same starters (tonight)."

Haha! I love the suspense! The mind games! Start Mooch to cover Nowitzki. Dirk will start out laughing, go into hysteria, will miss all his shots, and Mooch will be credited for holding a 7 footer scorless.:D

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yao must have a big game in game 2. The Mavbricks will adjust to T-Mac and Dirk will most likely bounce back as well. This game is huge, not only because a 2-0 lead and 2 games back at home will be extremely hard for the Mavbricks to overcome, but also taking a 2-0 lead will prove to all the moronic national media that the Rockets are for real.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i agree going up 2-0 would be a pretty big middle finger to a lot of the media and mavs fans out there.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Going up 2-0 would mark the beginning of media jumping on the bandwagon. Winning the series would be the middle finger. :)

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Avery accusing them of swallowing the whistle is ridiculous.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The media(and the rest of the basketball world) will swallow their whistles when the Rockets go up 2 -0.
    I think Yao will have a big game, but,even if he doesn't,Motumbo will pick him up.On top of that,Tracy might very well carry us on his back.
    Be very afraid.

#8 Plowman, Apr 25, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If Yao doesn't step up in this game when the press McGrady hard the media and the fans in Houston will not let him see the light of day...they are going to get on him big time...

10. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, no kidding. I wouldn't wanna see this forum after game 2 if he fails to show up. The tone will go from "trade Yao" threads and "Has Yao been reduced to role player" threads to "cut Yao" and "Moochie is more valuable than Yao" threads. :D

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

We need 2-0 because there's a damn good chance we'll lose a game at home, and I want two shots at closing out the series before having to go to Dallas for Game 7.

As for Yao, if he wasn't sufficiently motivated by that garbage from Erick "Championship Rings" Dampier about being the #1 center in the west and exploiting Yao's "medical condition," I don't know what will get him off his ***.

This one's on your shoulders, big man. Let's see what you've got.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

No Yao must STAY in the game in game 2. If he is playing he will play big but it is sad seeing this guy who can be so dominant being limited by his fouls.

13. rvpals

rvpals Member

Watching game 1, Van Gundy is right. There's many opportunities to pass Yao the ball down in the post especially when he's single cover by toothpick Bradley, Yao did not get the ball. Instead Wesley or Sura go to the other side and pass it to TMac.

Rockets is a contender only when both TMac & Yao get going. If we're to win the series, Yao needs to get the ball in the post more, he's probably the best post player in the serie.

Yao has been reduced to a role player that sets good picks and not getting the ball enough especially in the beginning. The thing about Yao is that when he's getting easy looks like the past few games when TMac passed to him in good spot, when he gets rolling he played much better, with much more energy especially on the defensive end.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Erick "self-proclaimed second best center in the league" Dampier didn't even stack up to Yao's backup. Mutombo had 8 pts 8 rebs and Dampier only had about 7 pts 7 rebs..

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Why fans? Fans are fans. It's those media/"experts" that annoy me to no end.

16. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Hahaha Im gona enjoy reading Johnson's comments there so r****ded. He had "none" or no one guarding him at a time in the game lol. I still cant belive he got mad at the ref's for having 30 freakin free throws in the second half. Thats somthing to be realllllly mad about! Slick one there Avery :rolleyes:

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Completely agree...Yao MUST step up and do everything right this next game. His teammates already salvaged a game without much significant contribution from him. He needs to repay his teammates for covering his back.

I have no question whatsoever that Dallas will harass McGrady this game tonight, and Yao MUST be mentally ready for that. I don't know if Yao does well under pressure or not, because he hasn't had a proven track record of that, but this game is really going to be T-Mac play more like J-Kidd and distributing the ball more so than in Game 1.

I love how McGrady put the pressure on Yao in that article, saying things like "he will show up" to put pressure on him, so he would have no way to hide the next game. Deke said the same thing, now Yao will be under pressure to prove them right.

It is time for the future best center in the league to assert himself on the biggest stage of basketball - the playoffs.

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Well, there was that one fan I saw at my babysitter's house Friday who said that the "Rockets are getting killed tomorrow."

I wanted to give him the finger, but instead said "this is going to be a much better series than anyone expects" in order not to have an argument/fight in front of my babysitter's house. ;)

#18 GladiatoRowdy, Apr 25, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Essentially, Ming is being "called out" by his coach and team. If he doesn't respond to that, well, "Joe Barely Cares" has been reincarnated. Surely Ming is going to get "interested" in this series. If he doesn't, he is going to lose a large part of his fan base in the Houston area. No more excuses, it's time to step up.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's not so much lack of interest on Yao's part, but rather his propensity to make those silly fouls. In the 20 minutes he played, Yao had 11 points(or ~17 points if stretched out to his normal minutes). He also had 8 rebounds, including 4 on the offensive end. He is playing hard. He's just not playing too smart. He should've realized that the refs are favoring the Mavs with their whistles.