1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Summer league roster coming together

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/1971178

Badiane set for summer league
    Second-round draft choice agrees to play on Rockets' entry

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets might not know when second-round draft choice Malick Badiane will appear on a regular-season roster, but the team confirmed Friday when he would wear a Rockets practice uniform for the first time.

Badiane, 6-11, who could play another season or two in Europe before attempting to begin an NBA career, has committed to play for the Rockets' Summer Pro League team next month.

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said the team likely will not decide whether it would prefer Badiane -- a 19-year-old who has played one season in a German B league -- to remain overseas until after the Summer Pro League in Long Beach, Calif., on July 6-20.

"He's come up very quickly," Dawson said. "I think with this last year of coaching, he's shown tremendous progress. There's an upside we think will be tremendously large."

Bostjan Nachbar, a first-round pick last season, also has committed to play at Long Beach, along with last season's second-round pick Tito Maddox and Rockets free agent Juaquin Hawkins.

Kyle Hill, a guard whose rights the Rockets acquired as part of the Glen Rice trade in 2001, also will play, as will Jason Miskiri, a former George Mason guard who was a childhood friend of Rockets guard Steve Francis' in Tacoma Park, Md.

Rockets forward Eddie Griffin is expected to practice with the summer league team but will be held out of the team's six games.

The Rockets also have until Tuesday to exercise their option to pick up another season on the contracts of Maddox and forward Terence Morris.

2. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

will any games be televised?

3. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Not a chance, but maybe since Nachbar will be dominating so much, they'll air a bit of it on sportscenter.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

every year espn televises a few games. so yes some will probably be on tv, just not any of the rockets

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Faos... good news! :)
    Man, we won't have to wait long to have a whole BUNCH of stuff to rant and rave about. Like... Griffin's going to practice there but not play? (look for some inside stuff about the practices... gossip galore) Kyle Hill has returned to Planet Earth. Francis is hookin' up another buddy. (will we keep Terence??) Boki! Boki! Hawk and Madlock... groovy. :cool:

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm sure that will be the case more so this year with all the hype on the big 3. (James, Darko, and Anthony.) I'm sure just about all their games will be televised knowing espn.

I read from another poster that some summer league camps don't let 3rd or more year players play. This may be the reason why he doesn't play 6 games, but I'm not sure.

#6 RC Cola, Jun 28, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2003
  7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, but how will Grffin fare in practice? The inquiring fan wants to know. :p

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Are you sure about that? Doesn't Magic Johnson play and have a team in the league?

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Oh, I thought you were asking why he was missing 6 games.

If Malick is just as advertised, or maybe a little more, it should be nice training for EG. I don't know if he'll be the next Hakeem or anything, but with his long arms and supposedly good D, EG should be able to learn how to get more arc on his shot as well as get his turnaround shot better or else it will be down his throat.

I just got that from another poster, but still it only says some camps don't allow it. Maybe Magic's summer league is different. I think I also remember that Tsaklasdfkjkadj dude on Phoenix played last year and it was his 3rd year, but I'm not positive that he played.

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Didn't we have someone from the bbs give us reports from the games last year?

12. TheFelderFirm

TheFelderFirm Member

I was there Year before last when Griifin was a rookie, and Lamar Odom played, Rashard Lewis was there. I talked to him, but he didn't play.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Does anyone remember if Kyle Hill played on the Summer League team last year?

14. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I'm just goin off memory, but I believe he did. Our team should dominate, just hope Nachbar starts to show what he's made of (not bench warming).

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He did.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Why is this? Why is Griffin not going to play in the games? I mean he DOES need the practice time to work on his post moves against competition other than his teammates. This really disappoints me!

The only reason I can think that they would NOT play him in games is they are SHOPPING him in trades to other teams and don't want to risk him getting injured.

Other than that there is no logical reason why this YOUNG and STILL INEXPERINCED player would not participate in the summer league games to improve himself!

I like Griffin and I was hoping to see some signs of him getting better over the summer and was hoping I would see it in the summer league games. Now that is out the window.

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Unless I am greatly mistaken, Eddie isn't allowed to play. Summer league is for rookies and first year players and free agents only.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If that is the case than I stand corrected. I think they should adjust that rule now that there are more HS players coming into the NBA. Don't you think guys like Kwame Brown and Tyson Chandler, or Dasaga Diop could use a little more seasoning?

I guess that means that T-Mo won't play either if he is resigned. He could use more seasoning as well!

19. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Because he plays for my team in France,I got to see Kyle Hill in a few games this year.
    First off,he's no starter in France.But that can be explained by the fact that he shares the same position as the "Euro Jordan"(hype),Mike Pietrus.
    Second,he's an average shooter.He'll have good and bad qhooting games.But overall he's not that great of a shooter...or of a player!
    I doubt he makes the team this year.

ALA

20. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

R-fan-from-LA and Dark Horse

I think