1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron Sources: Rockets to file protest of loss to Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 5, 2019.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

J Sizzle and napalm06 like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I responded to you on the previous thread and I'll respond with the same response.

So are you telling me that if the Rockets win this game by 20, the league should have given James the two points since it would of not had any affect on the final outcome, but yet since this game was tied at the game of regulation this rule should no longer applied because it will change the outcome?

You are the king of impartiality, I expect you to be on my side this time.

A rule is a rule, right?

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What the league “should” do is a different matter. I’m just pointing out that there is a fundamental difference between retroactively fixing the scoreboard vs retroactively changing an assist or rebound.

If the league is going to award a basket that didn’t count after the game, then they need to think about how that could have affected the game outcome and consider either replaying the ensuing possessions or something else to be fair to both teams involved.

SamFisher likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. This isn't about who gets the win. It's about how it won't happen again. If the situation was the other way around, I'd still support the other team's protest.

The NFL could not reverse the PI no-call debacle. But they at least came out and admit the error and did some changes to minimize the chances of it happening again.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I understand that you want to look at outcome, obviously that's a huge deal in this particular case. Clutchfans nor myself, nor the rest of the world would be up in arms if the Rockets would have comfortably won the game or if the Spurs would have come back and won the game during regulation by 10 points.

The problem here is that an outcome is affected. A bucket was not counted. By rule, that is a bucket. I think it's silly that we should sit here and argue whether this should count or not only because of the outcome. It's hard to predict what happens if that bucket counts. Do the Spurs make the comeback anyways? Do the Rockets keep riding the momentum on a huge play by James Harden? I don't know, nobody knows. We can all sit here and speculate, but none of us know.

The fact remains that 2 points that were legally scored in the game were missing from the final tally at the end of the game. A game that ended in a tie. It is the league's responsibility to award the two points based on the fact the basket went in. It is not the league's job to play psychic and attempt to predict what happens if those points are awarded. As it has been stated numerous times and I know you are in agreement, this isn't simply a missed called (sort of like Westbrook's back court deal that others were trying to bring up in argument). These are just two points that were erroneously not given to the Rockets.

Even ignoring the rules of a challenge and how that was also misapplied. Even ignoring the refs asinine responses. The fact of the matter is, as my boy @DreamShook keeps emphasizing, a bucket is a bucket.

Will the Spurs comeback be meaningless? I guess so, but it's not the Rockets nor the Spurs fault that the league officials failed to award two points thus not having the proper score on the scoreboard. If the league chooses to award the win to the Rockets, as they should, then the Spurs should demand the referees in the game be punished for not understanding what a made basket looks like and also failing to realize that they could go to the replay and see if the basket went in.

I get that you are trying to be impartial, you are trying to be the good guy that wants a results that semi makes everybody happy and you are coming up with all these scenarios (like the 11.4 second start time) or whatever to try to justify your position.

The fact is, 2 points are missing from this game. I find it hypocritical that if the outcome of the would have been different by 6 points (whether Spurs or Rockets victory) then the league would have likely gone back and retroactively awarded the 2 points to James. If the league chooses to keep the result the same, then they better have a damn good explanation as to why 2 points do not count.

And no, @fchowd0311 's explanation regarding the missed call, like the potential backcourt violation on Westbrook, is not a good explanation AT ALL. It's a good attempt and I commend him, and all the other basketball fans for trying to find something to negate the two points that are missing from the game, but this is not remotely the same because the league would not go back and retroactively remove 2 points from the scoreboard based on a missed call. If it would of happened in the last two minutes of the game and the refs missed the call and failed to go to review, all the league would do is issue a BS report with a lame ass apology and that's it. It's the ****ing truth and I know at least @DreamShook has my back on this one.

For those emotional fools that are in the position "the Rockets lost a 22 point lead, the don't deserve to win", **** off. Seriously.

By the way, I only see two sensible solutions (maybe 3) to this:
    1. Award the Rockets the win
    2. Restart the game at that exact moment
    That's it. I guess your 11.4 seconds scenario is not so bad either, so I'll accept that as a 3rd acceptable solution, although in reality, we can all nitpick where the game should restart between when the call was blown and the end of the game.

Fact is, that all data related to the overtime should be omitted until either some of the scenarios above happen.

#145 ElPigto, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    TheJet, pahiyas, DavidRocket and 7 others like this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I was thinking along these same lines this morning. I really don't get people trying to twist themselves in pretzels to excuse this.

The league is in a pickle because the game didn't end the way it should have. The people saying it now can't retroactively change are confusing reality. It was already retroactively changed by the refs not allowing a score. The league is in a bind trying to resolve the results of their mistake. It has nothing to do with the Rockets or Spurs.

If you have a photo finish in a race and the race officials declare the wrong winner, do you direct all of your hate to the other driver? It just doesn't make sense.

#146 napalm06, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

the outcome @durvasa wants is for the rockets to be continued to be f*cked up but the league and refs

D-rock and Blurr#7 like this.
  8. vlaurelio

if it weren't the rockets I'm pretty sure they would have reviewed the waived basket and awarded the 2 points during the game

slothy420, CCity Zero, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Nah bro, @durvasa is a solid dude. He is always just trying to be impartial. That's always his deal. He loves playing devil's advocate.

BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  10. vlaurelio

yeah its clearcut.. the two points needs to be given back to the rockets

question is will the nba grant the win or replay the last 7 minutes of the game or whatever else concession to the rockets

they cannot simply say since you lost and it was tied a regulation then you don't deserve your legit 2 points back

DavidRocket and Patience like this.
  11. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Man, if we hadn’t lost those two points, and got the win, we’d be tied for 2nd with Dallas right now.

bro2044 likes this.
  12. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

what is the result ?

napalm06 likes this.
  13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

What would be amusing is if the spurs response was "let them have the W" since they're tanking right now.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He is a self loathing Rockets fan and I respect him for that.

D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  15. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

Need a tissue?

16. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Teams had 5 days to submit evidence after filing the protest and I believe the League is still investigating.

pahiyas likes this.
  17. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

If the shot went in? :D

Easy, joshuaao, slothy420 and 7 others like this.
  18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is a good learning lesson for the Rockets about playing the full 48 minutes.

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

We lost by 2. Give us the 2 points back and play another overtime. That seems fair. Doesn’t wipe out the Spurs rally and gives the Rockets the points they earned.