1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron Sources: Rockets to file protest of loss to Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 5, 2019.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Honestly, that's not a bad idea either.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why not replay the game from the 4 minute mark, but go Elam Ending. The NBA gets to test it out and everybody is happy. The Spurs get to keep part of their comeback.

It would be 111-101. Basically the two points from Hardens dunk cancel out Capela's putback at Q4 3:57

Rockets and Spurs then play to 118 - first team wins. The Spurs actually would have won the game in that scenario in OT1.

#102 SamFisher, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Richie_Rich and durvasa like this.
  3. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I would say that is not the same thing. It seems like it is, but this is almost 80% through the game and that alone does make a difference, especially since their run almost immediately followed. It's an issue either way, but obviously Houston wouldn't protest had they won. I think everyone knows the league will be hesitant and not welcome helping us with open arms, but it's a pretty legit protest either way.

4. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I get it, and that does seem fair in this situation. The Rockets get the two point lead the bucket would have created, but the Spurs still have the opportunity to complete the comeback.

The problem is how do you apply this rule fairly in all situations (e.g. my example of the last basket coming at the final buzzer)? That's hypothetical, of course, but so was the possibility of the error occurring in the first quarter.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this but the real problem here is not a missed call so much as the Rockets were not given the benefit of exercising their challenge right because of an error by the referees - you know the people who the league pays to govern the rules. Ultimately that directly cost Houston the game but that matters more than just December wins and losses because players have incentives built into their contracts based on team wins.

Nene is an ironic example here (since the league rules on his incentive laden contract) because he has contractual incentives he earns if he meets statistical milestones AND the team wins 52+ games. Let's say the Rockets fall one win short of a big bonus for Nene - don't you think Nene and his agent will attempt to drag the team and the league into litigation? And that's just one player - what if this impacts several players on BOTH teams? And that is just players - I have no clue but I'm sure other staff have performance based bonuses - trainers, coaches, GM, etc not to mention if a team falls out of the playoff race because of the error in that one game(thus depriving the franchise of millions of dollars in revenue for playing a playoff series). The implications go on and on - the league will HAVE to fix it in some way or risk a huge headache later on that they probably can't afford especially because they aren't making as much on Chinese revenue this year(more irony for you).

Blown calls are part of the game however this mistake is akin to not allowing a team to use a timeout the rules say they should be granted. In fact, if the refs had reviewed the call at D'antoni's request and STILL not given James the basket, this wouldn't be an issue with the league...it's only an issue because Houston operated well within the rules and were not granted a fair application of the rules that the league, the teams, and the players agreed upon.

Richie_Rich, ron413, Easy and 4 others like this.
  6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Exactly, this is unprecedented and must be solved. There’s no slippery slope or Pandora’s box. If a team in the future wants to challenge a call and file a protest, let them pay 10 grand and wait for a ruling.

There’s nothing even in the rule books about challenging an obviously made slam dunk on a breakaway steal

D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  7. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

What's messed up is that the Rockets would even have to use a challenge in the first place! The refs should take it on themselves to review it at the first stoppage in play, just as they would a questionable 3 pointer.

Patience and D-rock like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LMAO, @J.R.

I don't wanna know where you found this gif!!

[​IMG]

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Let me guess........Windhorst?

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Please root for another team.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It didn't get around to that one, I stopped at a ringer podcast. I'm actually going to listen to another ringer pod with KOC. It feels like he is the only one with no real bias at The Ringer. So I am anticipating he will defend the Rockets decision to protest and put it on wax why everyone is stupid.

I still can't believe people are out here equating a missed charge call and a missed made bucket.. missing a made bucket as a bad call to move on from is the single dumbest sports take I have ever heard.

There is nothing more definitive in sports than a made bucket in basketball. literally nothing.

D-rock likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

A high bar? It was tied at the end of regulation. This isn't exactly college-level math. Of course the outcome of the game was impacted. That looks to me like the least controversial aspect of the whole deal.

BigMaloe, D-rock, Richie_Rich and 8 others like this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

Dunk was a blown call. (Non rockets fans also agree)

Refs not recognizing the immediate challenge. MDA was on camera doing the challenge (twrily fingers). This possibly winnable but an investigation needed.

Made basket not the same as other blown calls (where more gray area and interpretation). Rocket has a case here, but public opinion seems to not differentiate.

What to do to remedy? This is a toughy. Possible options listed by others in above posts. Replaying seems the best of bunch. Most public opinion are not with us. NBA league office may rule in our favor, but I think chances are low.

Tilman forking the fee, worth it. Even if we lose, it's principle of it all. Will it make perceived as whinny, yes it will exacerbate, this story will pop again in future news cycles, but we're already heels so... maybe whatever.

While we are in the right, I just don't know about publicly picking a war with the refs, because later when there are 50/50 calls, it may hurt us.

#114 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    BaselineFade and Plowman like this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If any team can come up with a savvy data-intensive presentation, it's the Rockets. THey'll probably use a quantum computer (as long as it doesn't cost too much) to simulate outcomes.

D-rock and Sajan like this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We are hated. Protest will be denied. I am trying to think of a team that would have less of a chance for this protest to be upheld and I am struggling.

Blame this on morey and his hong kong tweet. (Not serious)
    (Ok, maybe semi-serious)

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

The team needs to file a protest on the misapplication of logic from media tykes like Marc Stein.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

What?!! Prove that a two point basket mattered in a game that was tied in regulation, and won by 2 points at the end of overtime? Am I going crazy? What kind of proof is needed?!

BigMaloe, D-rock, Richie_Rich and 3 others like this.
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

simply stupefying that the burden of proof somehow lies w/ the rockets. how about this shapeshifting reptilian MFer silver prove that harden didn't dunk the ball through the fukin hoop for 2pts?

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

sorry bro. quantum computer was sold for luxury tax savings.
    all the files are on floppy disks now.

JuanValdez and harold bingo like this.