1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Solomon? making sense?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaGreatest, Jul 8, 2010.

1. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

lock if posted

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7098455.html

No outrage. No disgust. Some pitying of the fools. (And there is no shortage of fools in this.)

In 2010, it takes a lot more than an athlete screaming "Look at me!" to get my dander up.

This is a new age. Enjoy the new technology; ignore the new stupidity as best you can.

Or laugh at it.

How is everyone not amused at the possibilities of the final dramatic act of LeBronapalooza? This could be pure comedy.

Early on in The Decision tonight on ESPN — an hour-long celebration of the greatness of LeBron James — James should have representatives of the six teams that are candidates to sign him come on stage. With ominous music playing in the background, he should give roses to the three finalists.

As the youngsters say, that would produce a lot of "LOL."

Maybe he could sternly tell the Los Angeles Clippers, "You are the weakest link," before sending them on their unmerry way. And don a funky wig before turning to the New York Knicks and saying, "You're fired."

Go for it, King
    Whatever the 25-year-old does to entertain himself in his hour of "worship me" time won't bother me at all. The sillier the better, since duty requires I watch this garbage.

Yet criticizing LeBron for convincing so many millions to be enamored with his every meaningless move would be like disparaging Will Farrell because he has convinced millions to pay millions to watch his alleged-to-be-funny comedies.

James and Farrell are geniuses. Not necessarily a basketball genius (yet) or a comedic genius (never), but geniuses just the same.

We live in a world in which for sport we throw daggers at those who get rich doing things we either wouldn't do or wish we had thought of first. So we disparage the attention seekers who compete with others on national television for somebody's hand in marriage. We chastise the money-loving geniuses who put these brain-cell-killing shows on the air. And we make fun of those who watch that mess, turning the attention seekers into "stars" and TV execs into wealthy people.

Why take this stuff so seriously?

ESPN knows its business
    Is ESPN LeBrain dead for airing a show that will get higher ratings than the World Cup recap program it was planning to air at that time? Sounds like smart business. Are those who can't wait to watch tonight's ridiculousness LeBronapalosers? To each his own.

As for James, he's not saying, "Look at me," so much as, "Since you're going to look at me, I am going to take advantage of you." He has figured out a way to get an hour of love on national TV and raise $200,000-$300,000 for the Boys and Girls Clubs of America while doing it. We're supposed to find fault with that?

You know Brett Favre is burning that his people didn't come up with this idea. He is probably sitting in Mississippi pondering how a pay-per-view announcement of his NFL return would go over.

Book it. One day, there will be a Brett Favre retirement special.

If all publicity is good publicity, James is working this shrewdly. He hasn't said a word to the media in weeks. Yet every day he has been the lead news story, as if he is a head of state.

"Hear ye, hear ye, now it is time for King James' grand announcement."

James has flipped the script. He is attempting to make more money off his name and game than any athlete before him.

Do we expect our athletes to carry "Will dunk for food" signs and not try to turn their celebrity into fortune? Please. On some level, almost every great athlete in history has done it. Only now they use more sophisticated tactics.

With so many avenues for people to put their private business in the streets — YouTube, Twitter, Facebook — celebrity is relative these days anyway.

James joined the Twitter community a couple days ago and already has around 275,00 followers, including thousands taking shots at him for being on Twitter. As possibly the most popular athlete in the country, he has far more actual followers than that. We might see how many tonight. The ratings will measure just how silly we are.

Give 'em what they want
    In many ways, it is our fault we allowed TV executives to create a generation of reality-show numbskulls. They don't want their 15 minutes of fame anymore; they want a full hour. And darn it, TV networks are giving it to them. No talent required.

In high school, James had a documentary film crew following his basketball team's every move. He signed more than $100 million worth of endorsement deals before he was drafted No. 1 overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers. Heck, before he even graduated. This is the world James knows. (And he happens to be very talented.)

Yet people are surprised and upset that he likes being fawned over? Bothered that ESPN will fawn over him? Here is an idea: Don't watch.

I dislike self-centered athletes who go out of their way for attention. I abhor reality television. But I'll be watching a very smart, self-centered athlete go out of his way to accept attention on a version of reality television tonight. It's my job.

So is it too much to want James to come out dressed like Tarzan and vote the Miami Heat off the island?

first time for me, but I agree with everything Solomon said.. if you dont know by now, I really dont like Lebron, his antics are a disrespect to the game and he'll never be able to carry MJ's or Kobes (hurts to say, but true) jock strap.. Im not watching this garbage tonite Ill just catch the waves on here and discuss

2. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

this is what is going to separate lebron james from legends like jordan, olajuwon, bryant, russel, bird, shaq, etc.

as much as some of these were attention whores, no one would do something like this ever. i bet there is a lot of legends in shame right now to see what a joke free agency has become.

3. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

hes in his own league and I think he literally wants ppl to worship him, he may have a god complex and for wat? puttin up big stats and gettin bounced out the playoffs every year? hes a joke IMO.. he cant hold D Wades either

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He makes a good point. Y'all are taking this way too seriously. As for him not being compared to the likes of Jordan, Bird, Magic or Kobe. Would they put personal legacy aside and join forces with opposing stars to win championships? For al the flack Lebron gets, if he joins MIA, he's about winning titles. It's a rarity that three franchise type players all put their egos aside and join one team.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Anchorman was comedic genius, I don't care what Solomon says.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, I thought we voted on a poll by Clutch to not post this Chronicle columnist's garbage. What does this jackass know about the NBA?

#6 Rockets34Legend, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  7. Prince

Prince Member

LBJ declared that he wants to be the billionaire athlete or nba player.

he did not however say that he wanted to be the youngest to lead a team to a championship ring.

I don't care if it's about raising money for a cause, the bottom line is, this is not abotu the game of basketball.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Will Farrell?

275,00 followers?

Seriously?

9. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

This ^

Do we need to vote again? He is by far the worst journalist in town

10. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

I don't know about this guy but Will fErrell is hilarious

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Dang a good article from Solomon about time. Richard Justice you're now on the clock. I agree with him 100% about Lebron and Will Farrell.

12. Laozi

Laozi Member

Totally agree

Lebron is just playing out where is life has been heading up till now, put fluffy words around it like destiny if you like, but this is the track he's been on since stepping on to the court. This is the most publicity brand Lebron can get and Nike and ESPN are gonna make damn sure they're there to get the largest piece of the pie, the money Lebron is going to make is a joke compared to what they're gonna make. Its also up to them to keep LBJ wanting more it all so they can keep cashing in.

13. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

not me Ive never liked his on and off court antics.. takin pics, holding batting practice between timeout, dancing and raping on the sidelines.. Jordan didnt act this foolish, I get hes having fun but its classless and disrespectful to his opponents and the game

14. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

but this was actually a good piece.. otherwise I woulda overlooked his articles as usual

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the more he calls himself, "King." the more he self-aggrandizes.

the more I think Kobe looks like the best player in the game.

and that's hard for me to say...because I've never liked Kobe.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It's a (generally) free country. Lebron can seek all the attention he wants. He could make his decision based on a dance off between the team owners on national television for all I care. All I can do is refuse to watch. (Actually, I'd watch a dance off.)

But culturally, I think this country's views on privacy and attention seeking have moved in a very scary direction in the past twenty years. We're used to seeing celebrities and athletes in the limelight. But the price for their success, at least in my mind, was the complete loss of their privacy. Papparazzi following your every move used to be considered the curse of fame. Nowadays, people actually volunteer to flaunt their assbaggery for the cameras on "______ of Love"

And this isn't limited to attention seekers desperate to be on television anymore. People are putting their real names and personal info on the internet. They have thousands of "friends" and followers on Facebook and Twitter, keeping them abreast of every meal, every party, every hookup, and every bowel movement. It doesn't matter that potential employers are googling your internet background, people want to be known. Everyone's putting themselves out there now. As if anyone cares.

It's a strange new world when this guy is the oddball:
    Ungooglable

17. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Jordan, Bird, and Magic never had any need to consider moving to another team as they had great players around them already. Kobe was threatening to leave the years between Shaq and Pau. I don't blame him for leaving Cle if he chooses to, I simply don't like his antics and don't see him on the same caliber as the other players. He can turn that all around now, but this is not a good restart, IMO.

18. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

You sound so old...

Jordan and the like enjoyed their own forms of chicanery. Baseball, b****es and betting is a huge part of MJ's legacy, it made him look foolish off the court although it never really tarnished his championship legacy.

I give LeBron a pass because he's done it right....so far. No jail time, no baby momma drama, no gambling, no rape allegations etc. If this circus is the type of off the court antic that he is criticized for then I'll take it.

This press conference will appeal to the mainstream in a way in which we sports fans have the upper hand. In the final analysis they get their reality show finale, and we get to witness what drives our sports passion in the first place. The thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat.

19. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Im 25 yrs old man call me wise for my age since u wana go there.. ur just one of the "witnesses" and Im sure youll have ur popcorn with googly eyes watching with great amazement but its sad that this is wat America has come to a "reality show finale" gtfo here with that lame stuf

"thrill of victory..." ? THIS IS THE OFFSEASON, wat are u talking about ? lmao
    I see espn has u brainwashed omg, w/e man to each his own, enjoy ur soap box man Ill be doing better things with my life

20. mamojama

mamojama Member

I sure hope you mean "rapping" on the sidelines. :D