1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Snyder will let play determine his role with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Uprising, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Snyder will let play determine his role with Rockets
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

AUSTIN - Finally, Kirk Snyder believed he had landed in just the right place.
    ADVERTISEMENT

He had played sparingly one season for the Utah Jazz, then was traded.

He played one season for the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets, then was sent to the Rockets for cash and future draft considerations.

The Rockets, however, knew by then that last season's starting shooting guard, David Wesley, would not be back. The other returning player on the roster, Luther Head, had even less experience than Snyder and was a much smaller, different sort of player.

Then on the eve of training camp, the Rockets signed veteran Bonzi Wells, and Snyder could have considered the place he landed radically changed before his first practice.

Snyder, however, said those details don't matter, if only because no matter where he was or who was here, his play will determine how well he fits.

"That stuff doesn't really bother me," Snyder said of the acquisition of Wells. "It's basketball, and I enjoy playing. Whatever the leader of the team, (Jeff Van Gundy), decides to do, that's the direction we have to move. That will be the best thing for us, and we just have to move forward.

"I'm just trying to figure out what coach wants and trying to be as consistent as possible. I think I'm doing OK, but I think doing a little bit better would be OK, too. It's up to me."

Extension on line
    How he does this month, however, could have a long-term impact on his career.

The Rockets have the remainder of the month to extend his contract. Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said it is the team's usual practice to let the preseason play out before reaching such decisions.

But he said he has not seen anything so far that would make him hesitant to have Snyder locked up through the 2007-08 season.

"We'll see a lot of games and practice," Dawson said. "You don't do it until then because a lot of things can happen. But so far, so good. He's a very interesting prospect, very athletic. At practice so far, he's learning the system, but athletically and basketball-wise he's coming along."

Snyder said he hopes to have the contract extension as much to finally have a home for more than a season as for the security. Asked if he would want to become a free agent so he could choose a team, particularly after getting traded twice before his third season, Snyder said, "Definitely not."

The Rockets sought Snyder in part because of the way he effectively played off Hornets point guard Chris Paul last season, making 46.3 percent of his shots and 36.7 percent of his 3-pointers while starting 45 games. But they also want him to do more than stand on the perimeter waiting for open 3s.

Good finisher
    "Kirk is a very good finisher around the basket, very strong, good athleticism up to the basket," Van Gundy said. "He finishes very well. Not a bad 3-point shooter. ... His game should be built around free throws, at the basket and the spot-up 3."

Snyder, however, said the Rockets' expectations should fit more into his talents, as opposed to the limited role he had with the Hornets.

"Now I'm doing something I was doing the majority of my time playing basketball, attacking the rim, playing defense," Snyder said. "I'm able to just play."

Finally on a team that wants him to do just what he wants, Snyder was not in a position to worry about sharing the position. Instead, he insisted the fit is as right as when he was brought in several months and one Bonzi Wells ago.

"You just have to play basketball. It's coach's job to mix and match. Whatever is best for the team, I'm willing to do that.

"I know with the work I put in, I'm going to be part of something."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4239961

#1 Uprising, Oct 6, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I like Snyder's size, athleticism, and youth. If nothing else, he's a significant upgrade over Keith Bogans.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

He's an unproven player. But he does have a lot of potential, with his strength when playing inside. And he is relatively big.

4. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Except for th eone game where he torched the Rockets last year I haven't watched him much. But that one game was enough to show me he has some "Bobby Sura" going on, and he can make his presence known when he wants to. But that may be the big question.

Looking forward to see him more often, and see what happens.

5. cbb139

cbb139 Member

I like his attitude, and his approach. I hope Synder turns out to be a good addition, he has all the physical tools to be successful.

6. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

I am glad he is on the Rockets and I hope he does VERY well....we need his athleticism..... :eek:

7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Me thinks Snyder can be effective. He'll never be a star in the nba, but he is an above average athlete who can get it done.

Just hope he can find his niche in Houston and give us maybe 10-12 pts a game, tough D, a highlight or 2, decent perimeter shooting, all in about 20-25 mins behind Wells.

8. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

I think he should/will start.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If anything else, the Rockets just need his size and athleticism at the swing positions. 2 years ago, T-Mac was Houston's Defensive stopper when tough games came down the stretch. T-Mac guarded SGs, SF, and PFs (remember T-Mac stopping Odom to beat LA). When the playoffs came, Dallas just manhandled the Rockets D with quickness in the backcourt (mostly game 7), but also size and athletecism at the swing positions (all series long). While T-Mac was shutting down Dirk, guys like Stackhouse and Josh Howard were abusing Welsey and Jon Barry.

So this year and hopefully for the future (with keeping Snyder), I think the Rockets are much better suited for matching up with teams like the Mavs. They'll still have problems with small backcourt speed (because Terry, Harris, and Anthony Johnson will probably abuse Rafer, Luther, and VSpan-oh I hope VSpan is legit and Luther has improved...Rafer is just a defensive turnstile..oh and maybe this is where JL3 can make his mark), but the Rockets' swing defenders can match up with any team's deep rotation. T-Mac, Battier, Bonzi, and Snyder are interchangeable parts on the defensive end.

History has shown that T-Mac can shut down Dirk, and I sadly believe that T-Mac will still have to play Dirk when taking the Mavs because Dirk has historically abused Battier. But now Battier can guard Josh Howard and there's still Bonzi left to take on Stack so Stack can't muscle his way to the hoop, and you still got Snyder left to throw in. He just gives the Rockets so much more flexibility.

10. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

so he's playing for an extension? i like his frame/athleticism and hope that he has a good season, but i also hope that morey has learned from this franchise's mistakes and doesn't give him some overblown contract if snyder does have a good season (eg... mooch, motay, etc...).

#10 OmegaSupreme, Oct 7, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

how? where will bonzi play? will mcgrady be ok coming off the bench? :D

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If I'm not mistaken, its not for an extention. It the option to pick up the 4th year of a rookie contract.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Unproven? He was the starting shooting guard on a team that made a legitimate playoff run last year.

I understand your point that he is young and has not had extended success in this league, but he HAS shown that he's got real NBA skills rather than just potential.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I was thinking of Bonzi as a starter when we first acquired him, but at this point my thinking now envisions him abusing the opposition second team.

With Deke grabbing rebounds, Bonzi can play closer to the basket with Steve Novak waiting for the pitch back trey.

Snyder gives Yao more freedom under the basket so I like Alston, Synder, T-Mac, Battier and Yao with V-Span, Bonzi, Novak/Howard/Padgett and Deke rotating in. Luther can be used when there is another tiny SG to counter.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I like his attitude too. I think the biggest drawback to him his first two years was his knucklehead attitude. Seems like he may have got it worked out.

I think we are going to give some people like Kobe lots of trouble out there this year by running out him, Bonzi, McGrady, and even occasionally Battier against him. Kobe will get his 25 or so but he will probably have to take 25 shots or so to get it.

I still like Azuibuke too. I really hope he hangs on and at least makes the inactive squad. He's got the physical tools and he needs to work against guys like our 2/3s. I want both him and Jacobsen to make it.

16. AXG

AXG Member

I like Snyder's play, as he has great athleticism and a decent 3 point shot. I would like to see Snyder starting, if Wells comes off the bench. Snyder is a better shooter than Wells and he plays good defense.

17. kingkow

kingkow Member

Snyder has trade value, even though we dont play him.

18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Bonzi is a pretty good defender as well. However, I could see JVG going with Head or Snyder in the starting lineup over Wells. Spacing is very important for Yao and T-Mac's games. Regardless, Wells should get more minutes than both.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Can somebody tell me what New Orleans was thinking? I mean, they should have at least gotten a draft pick. I understand dumping some salary but .....for nothing???

20. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Snyder might see some of Bonzi's time due to this development....this groin problem is not going away...and i just drafted him in my fantasy league

bugger :mad:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3254/news

News and Notes

Oct 7 Wells was held out of Friday's practice because of a sore groin, the Houston Chronicle reports.
    Recommendation: This is the same groin that Wells tore last season. "Bonzi came to us after last year having a groin injury," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "He came to us hobbled, but we passed him on the physical because we think he can get well. We think he can be a big part of what we're doing."