1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Scola to play overseas next season if lockout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 5, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think so. There are not 450 well-paying extra basketball jobs outside the U.S. Many overseas leagues have quotas for foreign players (for example, 2 per team in China) and most jobs available overseas don't pay nearly as well as the U.S. Some of the NBA guys will take the place of the NBA washouts and no name Americans currently in these leagues, but the owners of the foreign teams are not suddenly gonna decide to shell out money comparable to NBA salary.

Scola, who I think has Spanish citizenship and a history of playing there, will have a much easier time finding a job in a lockout than most NBA guys who will just be flooding the market at that time.

2. bloop

bloop Member

Les is that you???

Seriously though, if there's a lockout whatever team Scola plays for is going to be the team for half of this board next year.

If it's a lockout, the players do have some options, since the owners are the ones depriving them of their livelihood. Obviously if it was a strike there's no way owners would clear Scola or Dirk to play overseas.

3. dartherus

dartherus Member

Yeah, Scola is a hometown hero in Vitoria (his team city), and in the rest of Spain he has a lot of fans....

He has the spanish citizen ship, such 2 facts would make it easy to have a good contract, before arriving to NBA, he was making 2 mill euros/year (after taxes) and that coming from a 10 year contract....so it's likely he'd get far more if he returns to his team...

4. TimBly15

TimBly15 Member

cant blame him

5. joesr

joesr Member

What exactly does a lockout do? Do players stop getting paid? Until they reach an agreement?

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I didn't realize they were allowed to play elsewhere during the season. I realize he's competitive, but if money isn't the issue, then he should hold out a while, at least the first month or so of the season.

7. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

I was under the impression that players are not allowed to play elsewhere during the lockout. Or at least not any FIBA sponsored leagues.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Scola needs to train with a defense master of some sort. I recommend that he admits himself into a defensive monastery and train from dust until dawn if there is indeed a lockout.

9. esteban

esteban Member

Scola is an Argentine, they don't come any tougher than him......or perhaps the Nepalese!!!!

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

not exactly apples to apples

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

Ex-Rocket sighting! Purvis Short had the sweetest rainbow jumper ever! I remember he would shoot it higher and higher the hotter he got in the game.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. KIDLAT

KIDLAT Mahirap maging pogi
    Supporting Member

Not nice at all

14. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

i never said they did :rolleyes: Im well aware of that I was saying that their contracts would continue after they play overseas :rolleyes:

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He will never do that, he would have to shave his head to be admitted. ;)

16. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

17. rocketsmetalspd

I hope it will not come down to NBA players playing in Europe.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

with a lockout, all nba contracts are void until an agreement is reached as its part of labor law. If however they decertify the union, it comes under anti trust law, and it becomes a little more fickle for how the contracts work legally, technically the contracts would be valid again.

19. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

You can flame me all you want, I least I'm not blind and stupid. Scola isn't as clutch as he was last season. And the first three years he was here, his defense was mediocre and now its just plain garbage. Its like he got his contract so he's not even going to worry about defense. And lastly his age. If he was 26-27 years old signing that contract I wouldn't say nothing. But with all that mileage he gotten from playing when he was 15 to playing basketball year around for most of his life its bound to take a toll. The only reason why Ariza was so easy to trade was his age, if he was old like Scola the Hornets would of never touch him. Now I was kidding wishing injury on him, but if he is really that stupid to go overseas and risk getting his 47 mill voided thats on him. "I'm a basketball player, Thats what I do" Oh stfu Scola and take care and have fun with your 10 kids until the lockout get settled.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I feel like it was just recently that I went through a lockout (as a fan) with the NHL. It will be interesting, but man it sucks to go that long without watching your favorite team.

Think of the bedlam that occurs during the off-season here and then imagine how much worse it will get if we have no basketball for part of the season, or possibly the entire season? Lmao.