1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rudy out for the SEASON!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CompaqC, Mar 26, 2003.

1. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Rudy T sidelined for rest of Rockets' season

Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich will be sidelined indefinitely to begin treatment for cancer on his bladder.

Tomjanovich said Wednesday he will have weekly treatments, and he conferred with his doctors and owner Les Alexander before making his decision.

"I believe it will be the best thing for me to do at this time," he said.

Assistant Larry Smith will continue to coach the Rockets (37-33) during Tomjanovich's absence.

The team initially said Tomjanovich would rejoin the team during the five-game road swing it began the day of his test, then announced he would miss the entire trip. The Rockets went 2-3 under Smith.

Wednesday's night's game marks the third meeting between star centers Shaquille O'Neal and rookie Yao Ming.

Until his absence on the road trip, Tomjanovich had not missed a game in 11 seasons as a head coach.

Tomjanovich announced March 16 he would have bladder tests. Two days later, team physician Dr. James Muntz said the coach had transitional cell cancer on his bladder that would be treatable with medication.

Tomjanovich said he got over a bladder infection about a month ago and went in for routine follow-up testing. One came back negative but another was positive. That led to the more extensive test March 17 that confirmed the abnormal cells.

Tomjanovich has spent his entire 33-year pro career with the Rockets as player, scout, assistant and head coach. He led the Rockets to NBA championships in 1994 and 1995

UNBELIEVABLE :(

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Does "indefinitely" necessarily equal the remainder of the season? There's 12 games left and the season doesn't end for another 3 weeks. Plus, the Rockets could play even more games if they hold onto the 8th seed. So do we know for sure that Rudy is done for the year?

3. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

There have been a lot of talks about replacing Rudy recently, so maybe somebody higher up than the Rox organization is heeding the call. I feel real bad for Rudy cause I personally think he's a good coach. The team will really miss him if they get into the playoffs. On the other hand, this should prompt the back office team to do something about the weak coaching situation in Houston. Bring in more qualified assistant coaches to develop the players and even take charge when necessary. Mike Duleavy, Alvin Gentry, John Lucas, and Jeff van Gundy are all out there as possibilities; although Dunleavy and Gundy are probably more up for a head coaching position. Either way, this deficiency needs to be addressed sooner or later.

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I think they mean the regular season. Obviously in the playoffs there will be another opportunity to evaluate how things are going, both with the team and Rudy T, and make a decision on the playoffs.

5. chris845

chris845 Member

That is a shame, but in another way this could be a blessing until the playoffs. Larry Smith over the past few games has substituted the players in and out and not have a certain pattern regardless of wheather the player is hot or not. I think he's reasonably splitting time between Posey and Rice at the SF and we've been playin' very well as of late winning 7 out of 10 games. Now for the playoffs... let's hope Rudy is alright and let's take care of business tonight against the Lakers for him. I think we'll win 98-91. Steve Francis will have 36 points.;)

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Oh man. Not good.

7. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

damn. get well soon rudy.

8. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

How qualified is Larry Smith anyway? was he ever a head coach?

9. chingchingyao

chingchingyao Member

Carroll Dawson was Rudy's head assistant coach through the championship years. He might help out Larry Smith or might even take over during the playoffs, who knows?

Let's see how Smith does through the end.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Our assistant coaches have a low profile, but that doesn't mean they are underqualified. In fact, given their low profile, how does any fan know whether they are qualified or not?

If I remember properly, Rudy is facing a 6-week treatment? If so, that will take him through the end of the Rockets playoff run.

I think it would be cool if Rudy returned to the bench as an assistant coach for the remainder of the season, allowing Mean to stay at the helm. Then he could attend or miss games as he needed. But, he might have a tendency to start taking over if he were on the bench. Then again, how is he not going to attend home games, even if he is on leave?

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Rudy wouldn't want to be a distraction so I doubt he would sit on the bench as an "assistant" to Smith. Smith has been Rudy's asst for like the last 10 years. The position is deferred to him. I'm surprised Boylan (?) didn't get the acting label since he coaches the summer league squads...right? I don't expect Dawson on the sidelines either.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"Get Into The Playoffs for Rudy" - "Win for Rudy"

That should be the mantra for the Rockets. The Players now need to STEP UP, take it to the next level and get into the playoffs. If there is one thing that would be a huge boost to Rudy during this time is seeing the Rockets make it. If there is one thing that would really bother Rudy is seeing the Rockets NOT make it, and for him to question if he should have stepped down. The Rockets should not put him in that position.

Starting TONIGHT against the Lakers, the Rockets need to sack up and play some INTENSE BB. No more screwing around. Hustle on every play.

Win for Rudy!

13. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Does anybody know the chances of Rudy T surviving this cancer? That's all I care about.

The fact that he isn't going to coach tonight and the rest of the year deeply concerns me about his health.

14. SxAxTxAxNx666

SxAxTxAxNx666 Member

Larry Smith
    College - Alcorn State '80
    Following a career as one of the best rebounders in NBA history, Larry Smith begins his eighth season as assistant coach and his 11th overall season with the Rockets. In his first two seasons as an assistant coach, Smith helped the Rockets win NBA World Championships.

Known as "Mr. Mean" for his tenacious rebounding style during his 13-year NBA career, Smith played nine seasons for Golden State (1980-89), three for Houston (1989-92) and finished his career at San Antonio (1992-93).

Ranked on the NBA's all-time offensive rebounding list (3,401) and on the NBA's all-time overall rebounding list (8,125), the Alcorn State graduate averaged 9.2 rebounds in 883 games. Smith, who also earned a master's degree in business administration from Alcorn State, finished among the top 10 rebounders in the league five times (1980-82, 1984-87) and registered over eight rebounds per game in 10 of 13 seasons, averaging more than 10 five times.

The league's third-leading rebounder in 1980-81 (12.1 per game), he earned first team All-Rookie honors and was the first rookie to crack the league's top three since 1969-70 (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar). He recorded 400 double-digit rebounding performances, including 28 games with 20 or more.

15. haven

haven Member

:(

Rudy is one of the best character guys in the NBA. And nobody doubts his willpower, so if he can beat this... I'm sure he will.

16. SxAxTxAxNx666

SxAxTxAxNx666 Member

source: NBA.com for anyone who cares

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I remember reading when all this started that the cancer IS NOT life threatening and Coach T should be back to normal after his treatment. That's the important thing. Good luck Rudy!

Make's me wonder how this will be handled if (or when, I believe) we make the playoffs and get swept by the mavs. It sure would give Les an easy out ie. find a different coach without it turning ugly ala RC Slocumb.

18. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

DAmn, I hope Rudy gets well. This can't be too good for the team.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

An easy out to what? Fire Rudy? No way this happens now, not that it was going to before, but definitely not now. Fire your sick head coach who had you at the playoffs, right where it was expected before heading into a new arena, new uniforms, etc. The only way Rudy isn't back next year is by choice. As much as I have bashed on him all year, I think that makes sense, especially if the Rocks pull through and make the playoffs.

Get well soon Rudy. I hope your treatment is as painless and effective as possible.

20. ScoobyUT

ScoobyUT Contributing Member

It is a no brainer that Rockets will miss Rudy in the playoffs, if he is unable to return. The man has key playoff coaching experience that is crucial for our young team. But the bottom line is, as hard its to accept, basketball is not life. More things are important, not to leave out that we are fighting a complicated war. COLOR=darkblue]LETS WIN FOR RUDY!! GET WELL RUDY AND BEST WISHES![/COLOR]