1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets working on offensive kinks with Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...-to-work-out-to-maximize-dwight-howards-game/

Hmmm... Need a guy who can pass to Dwight?

[​IMG]

#1 Carl Herrera, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. GIGO

GIGO Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eFrRnWEt3Z4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

this is where lin steps in and makes those post entry passes to dwight. 2nd year of his contract, he has to elevate his game for this season. i expected it would take him 1-1.5 years to be a starting pg

4. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

I do agree, thus far we have not been utilizing DH well on offensive end. For a moment I thought McHale had given up on running the offense via the Big Guy.

Its such a waste, if we dont use Dwight. They need to create proper funnel and timings for alleyoops (that would need better team chemistry)

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

They'll get it down. This is right up McHale's alley. The Rox starters are smart enough to do it right.

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He's right. The entry passes from our guards were awful.

7. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Lakers struggled with this last year too.

Hope him and Harden have good chemistry

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Need a taller player with the ability to pass the rock to the big guy.

McGrady & Battier were those guys for Yao. Brent barry was supposed to be another.

Dunleavy could have been the guy for Dwight. It could have been one of the reasons why the Rockets had him as their next target after Dwight in free agency.

9. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Our team as a whole needs to learn what to do. From Pat realizing that he has to be pin-point in his entry pass to Chandler learning that Dwight needs to repost and everything in-between. Our starters are smart so they will get it down. Smarters. I'm too tired.

10. TTNN

TTNN Member

that's what I don't get. We have two very good PGs, and either one could start, why they spend so many time try to figure that out by rotating them as starters. Shouldn't they focus to build up the chemistry between our 1 and 5? I think they did not set the priority right.

BTW, the first preseason game, DH12 looked really good, then all the effort went to figure out who should start at 1 and 4.......

On the other hand, the whole team is trying to feed DH down low, not sure how smart Dwight is, whether he could get used to each and everyone on the team that fast. They really should try to fix the rotation early, so that Dwight just need to get used to maybe 2 or 3 person's pass.....

[​IMG]

This is last season's assist distribution of our 4 best passer on the team. Why not just pick the guy that have the highest % assist to the at rim shots, and let him develop chemistry with Dwight, how hard is that?

11. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J9k_7dklcfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've yet to watch the Magic game, but judging from the first 3 games, to me it's as much on the coaching staff as it's on the players.

Obviously I don't know how much the coaching staff has worked on it yet, but, other than simple early post feeds, you just can't expect the players to just figure it out out of the flow of the offense unless you really, really work on the spacing, cutting, etc...

That said, I doubt it will be a concern for long. It's not that complicated and the Rockets have one of the better coaching staffs in the league. They'll figure it out. It'll be interesting to see if they run the same post-up action for Dwight as they did these last couple of years for Scola and all those other bigs, whenever they did choose to post them up.

One has nothing to do with the other, really. Parsons, for example, because of his size alone, is probably more likely to be a good post feeder than Lin is. Also, again only judging of these first 3 games, feeding the post may not even be the #1 issue, but rather not getting Dwight deep enough post position to begin with, as well as not properly cutting/spacing the floor after feeding the post.

#11 HMMMHMM, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  12. rocketblood713

I don't know when they practice again but im sure this will be one of the main things they work on they didn't do a good job giving it to Dwight the passes were either way off and caused a TO ...but this and other things should be better around Oct 30

13. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

They should work things out with Howard... I was watching the Philippine and the Taiwan game and one time I saw Bev cutting to the rim just as Dwight started to make his move... I was like? Why the hell would you make a cut just as your big makes a move? Funny thing was they were going the same way too. Lol

Then there are lots of times also when Dwight has the ball, everyone else just becomes stationary beyond the 3 pt line. No one makes a cut, and Howard wastes 3 seconds looking for a cutter on the weak side or ball side.

The key here is film sessions. Lots of it

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well it's just the preseason and they're learning to play together. And the team has looked good overall despite the problems getting the ball to Dwight on time.

This kind of thing, is why a lot of people are doubtful we will be a championship caliber team this season. The faster we figure it out the better!

15. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

I think they would figure it out fast, since McHale has addressed the shortfall promptly

1) Dwight Howard dropped into the low blocks and waited. And waited. And waited.

2) Passes have come his way, but often too late. Some were on time but missed their target.

3) They fronted, and we did a very poor job of getting the ball into him.
    I’m sure he’ll be fronted a lot during the year, so we have to look at
    that. We have to improve our angles on the pass.

4) We have to move a little bit more, try to get him off of some action. Sometimes we came down and just kind of stood there, and pump, pump, pump, pump, just looked at him. By that time, the whole defense just sagged on him

5) The guy is shading him on his left shoulder. We throw the ball there instead of the other shoulder

6) We throw the ball when he’s not looking. We throw the ball and I’m like, ‘Why would you throw the ball if he’s not looking?

7) He seals really early. Usually at that time we’re not ready to throw the ball.”

“A lot of times, I want to catch it and go quick,” Howard said. “We’re learning each other’s games. I want to score, but I want to get my wholeteam involved in everything so the defense is not just standing and watching when I catch the ball. … It’s something we all have to work on,and we’ll be fine.”

---

I'm happy the above is being addressed. As long as its acknowledged, it means work in progress. its all good, then :)

16. Rox23

Rox23 Member

"Dwight did fine today, no problems, why worry?"...that's what a whole bunch of posters on the other Dwight thread kept saying. Obviously McHale is a bit worried though, he sees a problem, and is getting to work to fix it. Thank goodness he's coach and not some of us!

17. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Like the graph, it says a lot. Obviously Lin facilitates Dwight better than anyone else on the team because of his penetration, creative passes, and pass-first mentality. However because Beverley has been playing so well it's hard to take him out of the starting lineup. Bev lobs the ball into the post and that's about it in terms of facilitating Dwight. Betcha if Lin comes back and he runs the point Dwight will have a 20 point game.

18. Omnipotence

Omnipotence Member

Does Lin even get to practice with Dwight in scrimmage?

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Lin should be just fine at this job. He's a bit oversized for his position.

It's nice to imagine that our team has lots of areas to work on improving, yet is already pretty formidable.

20. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Excellent.