1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets tuned in to Redick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mikezamir, Jun 4, 2006.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I never said that Redick would be a star, only that his skills fit the Rockets PERFECTLY.

I do think Redick will be a double digit scorer for years in the NBA....more like 13-17ppg......and keep defenses honest.

As for Young, barring injury, within 4 years, he will be the best player in the NFL, a Michael Jordan type of player, and the Texans will be sitting there holding the bag going...."oh man, we could have had him"

DD

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i am just excited to see what happens with the draft...

you know, the rockets have SO many needs that there could be 5 or 6 guys in this draft that could really help them. and that list includes reddick.

he can definitely shoot and our team needs that, but i picture morrison, roy, or gay having a far greater potential in the long run.

but when it's all said and one, i'll just be happy to see the rockets improve the supporting cast! it's aboot frickin time!!!

FUUUUUU.....................

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Jerry, I'll copy and paste it if I have to. You said that the spot up jumper is not available in the late rounds of the playoffs. Here you go, I'll just cut and paste it for you.

I'm looking at the end result, and that is a championship. Those open shots for Redick want be there as you advance deep in the playoffs.

Here's another one.

If all you are is just a spotup shooter, and the defense take that away, then what are you going to do.

And here's another one.

I can say that strategy might get you to the second round, but it want win a championship. As you advance deep in the playoffs, spotup shooting will be taking away. This will be an easy adjustment for the opposing team. They will say Tmac and Yao can't beat us in a seven games series.

Now, you are trying to slither away and deflect what I am holding you accountable for. You clearly stated that deep in the playoffs, the spot up shot is taken away by the defense. I call bullkacka. Then you do a John Kerry and start talking about multi-dimensional.

I'm holding you to the remark that the spot up shot is taken away deep in the playoffs. That is FALSE. Just ask James Posey, or Bruce Bowen, or Robert Horry, or Rasheed Wallace, or Steve Kerr, or John Paxson, or B.J. Armstrong, just to name a few over the last 15 or so years.

I'm not even going to argue multi-dimensional skills of J.J. I am arguing the fact that you say defenses take away the spot-up shot. NO THEY DO NOT. THEY TRY TO TAKE AWAY THE STRENGTH OF THE OFFENSE, SUCH AS SHAQ, KOBE, WADE, DUNCAN, JORDAN, PIPPEN AND WHEN THEY TRY TO TAKE AWAY THE FIRST OPTION IT LEADS TO THE SPOT UP JUMPER!!!!!!

Do you even watch basketball???

P.S. IT IS WON'T AND TAKEN, NOT WANT AND TAKING. :rolleyes:

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Redick is not a spotup shooter. Spotup shooters don't lead their team in scoring at nearly 28 per game and win player of the year awards. Pittsnogle is a spotup shooter maybe, or Novak. Redick is more like Reggie Miller, constantly in motion and shooting off of the dribble or behind picks.
    Ignoring all of that, if the defense neutralizes Redick he passes it to Yao or McGrady who gets to face single coverage because Redick is keeping the defense honest.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I have a somewhat original idea in a thread that is 1300 posts long:

StupidM, well said.

Okay, that wasn't the new idea. Here it is:

Just kidding. No one has an original thought anymore.

Okay, for real this time:

Every NBA player has trouble going from college or high school to the pros. A few do it well like Lebron James. Lebron did well adjusting because he didn't have to. He was already hyped, written about, watched, scrutinized, etc. Redick has faced a lot of that same hype, redicule (ex. ly gay), articles, etc. He will actually have to get used to getting less attention. My point is, in more than one way, things will get easier for JJ. He'll be left open a lot, face less media scrutiny, fans will lighten up, defenses won't be focused on him, etc. (Unless he ends up in Utah... with the beer pong habit I don't think Salt Lake would be a great place for him. Plus, Utah sucks big donkey ...)

6. Rockets Dynasty

Trade next year's pick top 5 protected to Seattle and draft Redick at 10.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not pro-Redick at #8 but some comments:
    First I'd like to say the idea that spot up jumpers aren't available in the playoffs is nonsense. I won't read the prior 100 posts to figure out where that discussion came from. In tight playoff games, spot up jump shooting can be very critical.

The idea JJ Redick will have it easier in the NBA is crazy. In the NBA, it will be much easier to single cover him because SGs are much quicker, taller, stronger than what he faced in college. He will find it MUCH harder to score off the dribble. Put that in the bank. Players will harass him with physicality and quick hands liked he's never faced before. Don't kid yourself. That said, I don't think he will have too much trouble getting his shot off. He just needs to be the energizer bunny running around off screens, down the baseline from side to side, etc and he will get enough shots. He isn't THAT slow. But whatever off the dribble game he showed in college likely won't cut it in the NBA.

On defense he will be a major liability. It's possible he could develop into an adequate defender but I doubt it. PGs will blow past him and average SGs will eat him for breakfast.

8. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

As much as I absolutely love NBA draft fever, I know that, other than a couple of can't miss players every couple of years, it has very little basis in what NBA players and teams will look like in 3 years.

But don't wake me up. I'm having too much fun....more cowbell!

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Surprised Aldridges report hasn't made it to this thread. JJ canceled his Friday Philly workout and he might need disc surgery according to his NBA contacts.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/basketball/nba/14894639.htm

But Tellem may have a problem with Redick, who had been projected by many teams to go eighth to the Rockets until disclosure this month of a disc injury that may or may not require surgery. A league source said that Redick had received injections in the last week that have allowed him to work out for teams in Los Angeles. One team considering Redick believes there's a 70 percent chance he won't need surgery; another thinks he "absolutely" needs it.

CD would have to be out of his mind to use the 8 to pick Redick after his experience with Bobby Sura.

11. Ra Ooh La La

Ra Ooh La La Contributing Member

Damn, this is actually pretty sad news. I'm eager to see how the draft is gonna unfold for Redick with all this surgery talk. I guess it's all up to teams' medical advisors now.

12. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Redick at #32?

13. Ra Ooh La La

Ra Ooh La La Contributing Member

That would be something, eh?

14. DaDakota

All this is pure speculation, his side says he is ok, it was a mild sprain, others say it is more serious.

Everyone has motive.....

Guess it is up to the doctors to decide.....but my guess, and it is a pure GUESS, is that he tweaked it and will be fine.

Everyone tweaks their back at some point, I did it in college at the age of 21 getting out of a bean bag chair, it hurt for 2 weeks....but it was fine after that.

And Aldridge is notriously full of crap.

DD

15. Diaw

Diaw Member

i'm afraid that despite his back and the little alcohol incident, he'll not be there in the secound round ... in the early 20's at best ... we should try to get NJ's picks for swift :cool:

16. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

He probably hurt it trying to stretch his length. :eek: I hope he's ok, and I'd really like to see the Rox trade down to get more pics, between 10-15 ish. We can add more depth that way, but we need quality too. I hope they know what they're doing, 'cause I sure don't. :D

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

this is how i think it will play out. on draft day his back will be "fine", but the moment he is selected, his agent will advise that team that he is in need of surgery.

also i think a team with a mid to late 1st round pick will take him/gamble with the knowledge he needs an op anyway.

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

And you would you believe Arn Tellem and not Aldridge. DD - If Redick lost his little finger and ring finger on his shooting hand, I think you would still have the Rox draft him. :)

19. DaDakota

Tiger read my whole post, I said both sides have motive......

SHEESH !!

DD

20. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I mentioned this scenario in another post and got no reply. Since everyone is visiting this post 100 times let me know what you think.

Rox trade 8 and Juwan for 4 and Miles. Rox then trade the 4 and Swift to NO for 12, 15 and JR Smith. With the 12 and 15 we draft Redick and either Carney, Alexander Johnson, Cedric Simmons or Thabo Sefolasha. They all could reasonably be there in those spots.

We use the MLE on a PG or PF depending on who we ended up with in the draft. We also still have the 32 pick to address these needs.

Basically rockets lose only lose howard from last years roster and pick up redick, carney(or whoever at 15), JR Smith and Miles and whoever we draft at 32. Instantly we get youth and athleticism and shooting. Plus all the deals have been rumored to be possible.

Thoughts anyone?