1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron:Rockets say Van Gundy likely will decide today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jun 8, 2003.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

June 8, 2003, 10:47PM

Rockets say Van Gundy likely will decide today
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The wait for Jeff Van Gundy's reply will apparently end today.

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said he expects to hear today Van Gundy's answer to his offer to make Van Gundy the Rockets' 10th head coach.

Van Gundy left town Friday saying he would take the weekend to consider the Rockets position and a move to Houston. His agent, Jim Ornstein, on Saturday told Rockets general counsel Michael Goldberg that Van Gundy likely would not call with an answer until today. Dawson and Rockets owner Leslie Alexander began their search two weeks ago by interviewing Van Gundy, making the former Knicks coach their top choice nearly a week ago.

"I wasn't expecting a call (Sunday)," Dawson said. "He said, `Let me think about it through the weekend' and then he would let me know. And his agent told Michael he would take the weekend. We didn't really expect to hear until (today.)"

Van Gundy has also been courted by the Wizards. There has been widespread speculation that the Wizards could make an offer worth $35 million over five years plus a small ownership percentage. The Rockets and Ornstein have not begun serious contract talks, but the Rockets are expected to offer a four- or five-year contract worth between the $4 million per season Paul Silas received from the Cavaliers and the $5 million per season the Pistons gave Larry Brown.

But the value of the potential contracts does not seem to be Van Gundy's primary consideration because his representatives have not asked the Rockets to match the offer thought available in Washington.

After a two-day visit to Houston to tour the Rockets' facilities and check out neighborhoods, homes and schools, Van Gundy's decision seemed to be about more personal considerations.

Before telling Van Gundy, 41, that he was their pick to succeed Rudy Tomjanovich, who stepped down May 23, the Rockets also had considered Mike Dunleavy.

Dunleavy is considered the favorite with the Hawks and Clippers, and has been contacted by the Wizards.

Van Gundy had a 248-172 record as Knicks head coach with a 37-32 postseason record. He guided the Knicks to the 1999 NBA Finals, in which New York fell to the Spurs in five games. He was a Knicks assistant coach from the 1989-90 season until he was promoted to replace Don Nelson late in the 1995-96 season. He was on Pat Riley's staff in the 1994 Finals when the Rockets defeated the Knicks for their first championship.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/1942694

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Man you got that quick.

Im not going to be able to sleep tonight.......

:(

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Wizards Are Waiting on Van Gundy

By Steve Wyche
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, June 9, 2003; Page D09

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., June 8 -- The Washington Wizards could know by Monday if former New York Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy is interested in becoming their head coach and president of basketball operations. There have been reports that Washington offered Van Gundy $35 million over five years and partial ownership to hold the dual roles, but the Wizards would not confirm that any offer had been made.

Van Gundy interviewed with the Wizards last Wednesday but then spent the next two days in Houston interviewing for the Rockets' head coaching job. Van Gundy appears to be the Wizards' top choice, as interviews with other potential coaching and basketball executive candidates have not been scheduled.

Washington was willing to pay former Philadelphia 76ers coach Larry Brown $7 million per year to be its president of basketball operations and coach, according to a league source, but Brown opted to take the head coaching job with the Detroit Pistons.

The Wizards contacted the representative for former Detroit coach Rick Carlisle and former Portland coach Mike Dunleavy last week about setting up talks this week for Washington's coaching vacancy but nothing has been set, apparently pending Van Gundy's decision.

Van Gundy toured homes and schools while in Houston and began contract negotiations Saturday. Van Gundy told the Rockets that he would not be speaking with any other teams while he was negotiating with Houston, according to the Houston Chronicle. Sources said Van Gundy is very interested in the Rockets job but moving his family from New York to Houston is a concern.

Several league sources also said that if Van Gundy turns down the Rockets' offer, believed to be for roughly $4 million to $5 million annually for at least four years, it would not necessarily mean he would try to work a deal with the Wizards. Van Gundy has told friends and acquaintances that he would have no problem remaining as an NBA television analyst for TNT and exploring job opportunities next season.

If Van Gundy does not end up with the Wizards, Washington also is expected to talk to New Jersey assistant coach and District native Eddie Jordan once the Nets are finished playing in the NBA Finals, as well as Dunleavy and Carlisle. Candidates for Washington's president of basketball operations vacancy include Boston General Manager Chris Wallace and Nets director of scouting Ed Stefanski.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32402-2003Jun8.html

4. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Dawson is lying through his teeth. Just like last week when he said that the Rockets haven't made up their minds yet on whom to bring in for a second interview, meanwhile Van Gundy's wife was in town looking at homes.

VG must have already made a decision. My feeling is that the Rockets are still going to get VG becuase CD would have already announced that VG is not coming here if that indeed is the case. There must be some sort of holdup, i.e. contract negotations, compensation to the Knicks or whatever.

Also, the article that says the Knicks want a second round draft pick and Yao to play 2 games at MSG lead me to believe that the negotiations have already gotten to a point where the Knicks are asking compensation from the Rockets because VG is likely to come here.

5. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

One thing I will say, is that if this decision rests on "personal" criteria, then the Rox organization is DEFINITELY the place for JVG.
    I mean, with the whole RudyT health thing, and management's attentiveness to treating players and coaches as PEOPLE and not meat... it's totally "night vs. day" when comparing the Rox organization to ANY east coast franchise. I bet my hat that despite our anxiety and CD's anxiety, Rox representatives made sincere effort to say, "look JVG, your personal happiness is of utmost importance to us, so go ahead, take the weekend and think about it, we love to have you and we hope you feel the same." Truth be told, between the Knicks, Sixers, and ESPECIALLY the Wizards, I can't see any of these organizations even beginning to talk about understanding the importance of "PERSONAL" considerations. What most organizations do is they simply throw more money at the problem and hope that it fixes it. Loyalties, Coaches, and a nice looking roster can all be bought in their eyes.

Call me idealistic, but CD, RudyT, both, to me, stand for treating and respecting people as simply that, "people."

I have to believe JVG senses that and will come to Houston.

Can't wait till tomorrow!!!!

:D

theSAGE

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Or MAYBE the guy's family is actually important to him and their opinion matters enough for him to want to talk it over with them.

If you have a wife and a daughter, both from one part of the country, and you are asking them to pack up and move to a whole other part of the country away from their families, I don't think you make that decision lightly.

Frankly, I think the guy should be applauded for taking the time to discuss it with them. We should be so lucky to have a coach with that kind of integrity.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

One thing that makes me agree with Jeff on this is the guy drives/drove a 5-year old Honda Civic while making 6 or 7 figures (?). Nothing wrong with that, but I'm thinking he values other things more than that extra 1 or 2 million in the bank per year. He may be one of those guys that says "how much money do I really need before I let it get in the way of my family's happiness?" He obviously values more than just material things.

That being said, I hope the little spud signs with us...

8. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Does anybody else find it strange that no leaks have been reported?

I even searched the ESPN boards, under the Wizards, and the last topic about JVG was 4 days ago.

Jeff, regarding his family, I find it strange that he interviewed for the Cavilers job if moving from the NE was not possible.

9. red

red Contributing Member

roger that DoD...the little goober is starting to grow on me...

10. BubbaMac

I don't think people in DC care. First of all, DC is not a basketball town (its a Redskins town) and most of the Bullets fans realize that with Abe Pollin at the helm, the team is hopeless regardless of who the coach is.

11. LSU_MPA

LSU_MPA Member

I think the Civic has been replaced. One night, while coach of the Knicks, the car got totalled in a freak plane accident. The team was leaving on a chartered flight to a road game, the plane was parked a little too close to the coach and assistant coaches cars. When the pilot turned on the engines, it tossed his civic over asst coach Brendan Malone's Town Car. This is a true story, as funny as it sounds.

12. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

hehe...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2000/playoffs/news/2000/05/18/vangundy_car_ap/

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Thats a damn good point as evidenced by his trip out here to look at schools, subdivisions, etc. Dude wants to make sure he likes H-town and his fam. is cool with the move. Gotta respect him for that.

Obviously (Honda Civic) $$$ is not the big factor here, or he would be negotiating harder numbers with Les and CD. He wants an ideal situation where he has a chance to win (Yao/Steve) and his family is cool with living (?????).

14. BubbaMac

But if VG ever wants to get back into NBA coaching, he has to move away from the NY area unless he goes back to coaching the Knicks or coaches the Nets.

I wonder if its just a Houston thing because moving from the NE to Houston can be pretty horrific. If the Lakers job opened up, VG may not be having as much trouble as he is now making a decision.

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Right-O, BubbaMac. Probably wouldn't even have as hard a decision if the Rockets were in Austin. Houston's an acquired taste. For most of us, you gotta grow up here to love it. I don't fault him at all taking his time. Especially when taking his time boils down to a week or less to decide where his family'll live for the next however many years. It really does kind of feel like it's down to where they want to live though. It's clear Jeff'd like to coach next year and there are no better options for him this year or next (except the Lakers maybe -- or Dallas -- are we sure about Nellie for next year? The way things have gone so far this year...) than Houston. I'm sure it looked great on paper, but it's absolutely a lifestyle change (I've lived here and NY) and I don't blame him a bit for thinking seriously about whether or not his family can be happy here.

16. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

I've never lived anywhere else but Houston so I can't imagine why anybody would not wont to live here in Houston the greatest city in the world. :confused: ;)

17. BubbaMac

I don't mind Houston because I spent many years there but I know people who moved to Houston from places like DC, NY, and Boston and the best thing they liked about Houston was the airport - so that they could get the hell out!

Also, I remember during the 94 Finals, some reporter from the NY Post had this huge headline on the front of the sports page that read, "This Place is Hell" or something to that effect. Basically describing Houston's hot weather and its flat terrain among other things. I remember the local newscasters in Houston getting all pissed off. I thought it was kind of funny because it was all true.

:)

18. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i came from the philippines a couple of months ago.. well, 3 more months to be a year. i lived in cali for 2 months.. cali's full of snobbish people.. then, i lived a month on ny.. and ny's so busy and moist.. then i moved here in houston and i LOVE it here! people are so friendly! now i do believe this short nickname, "Southern Hospitality"! ive never felt so much like home! houstonians are the best peeps in america imo!!! if i was JVG, houston is the best place for his family and his coaching career!:)

19. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think he said "hell-hole". i remember after game 1 the houston post headline was "Hell - Hole 1 New York 0" ha ha. good times.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've heard many New Yorkers say the same thing about New York.