1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets notes: Ariza's playing time could be reduced

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t-mac_#3_SG, Dec 17, 2009.

1. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

Rockets notes: Ariza's playing time could be reduced

The McGrady shuffle

Rockets coach Rick Adelman doesn't know where he will get the seven to eight minutes each game he plans to give to Tracy McGrady. But he guesses they will come from several players and could change from game to game, depending on matchups.

Because the change is only in the first half, Adelman said the impact will be minor but that he still wants to evaluate it.

“We have a nice rotation going,” Adelman said. “It's not that simple plugging somebody back in. It changes the dynamic. We're trying to do it with the least amount of upheaval on the team. It's going to affect everybody, really. But I think we can work it out.

“I don't want to play Shane (Battier) that many minutes. Trevor (Ariza) has been playing a lot of minutes. We can figure it out. We just have to keep evaluating it. It all depends on evaluations as we go forward. Just watch Tracy and see how he is progressing.”

39-minute man

Trevor Ariza has been playing an average of 39 minutes per game, seventh most in the NBA, making him a candidate to have his playing time reduced. Ariza, however, said he has not had a problem with the workload.

“Not when I'm on the court,” he said. “After the game, my body gets a little sore. When I'm in the game, my body feels good. I want to compete.

“If it's going to help our team, I'm all for it. You're talking to a player that wants to play all the time. I'm not going to say I don't want to play, but if it's going to help our team, I'm with it.”

Coach Rick Adelman said the difference between 39 and 36 minutes usually will be slight, though it could add up this week with the Rockets playing five games in seven days.

“(In) a week like this, it could make a difference, although he had a pretty easy night (Tuesday) night,” Adelman said.

Ariza returned from a one-game suspension Wednesday, resuming his usual starting role.

“The team won, we looked good, but at the same time I hate sitting out,” Ariza said. “It's something I had to do. ”

- Jonathan Feigen

lock if it's been posted again.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

3. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

4. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

Here's the link. I'll make sure I put the link in my post next time i post an article.

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

If anyone in the NBA deserves their PT reduced, it's Ariza.

6. Asian Sensation

Playing McGrady more minutes and reducing Ariza's will be beneficial in three main tiers.

1) McGrady can score and create but most importantly he will draw attention. He will make the game easier for everyone. Mainly Ariza.

2) Reducing Ariza's minutes will mean less offensive workload and hopefully it will let him focus on what he's good at. Expending energy on the passing lanes and playing better overall defense both man and help.

3) The "McGrady shuffle" changes the pecking order of the team once he shakes of the rust.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

damn straight!

8. raj87

raj87 Member

4) Trevor Ariza handles like a d******d, while Tracy McGrady handles like a BMW M5.

9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

word.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Ariza has been Rafer 2.0.

11. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Hopefully, once Tmac gets comfortable we can Ariza will stick to shooting open jumpers and slashing after someone else gets the defense off balance. If Tmac gets traded, I hope we get a primary scoring option because the longer Ariza thinks hes a primary playmaker then the harder it will be for him to stop.

12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Assuming he continues to improve, I don't mind McGrady starting to take some of Ariza and Battier's minutes. Ariza especially is playing too big of a role I think.

13. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

I agree with what the article says about Ariza's minutes coming down. 38 min/game is too much unless they are a superstar and HAVE to be out there all the time.

Lets spread the minutes out a little more and keep the legs fresh so that when the our players are out there that can work even harder on defense, and run the break even more.

You won't see Brooks & Lowery playing together much, Which leave 4 guys to split between 2 spots.

96 Mins Total:
    96 / 4 = 24
    -Budinger could prob survive on 15 (bringing other 3 to 27 per game)

Can't imagine Ariza getting less that 32
    Battier be 24
    That leaves Tmac with 25

Assuming we don't trade, for Battier or Tmac to get any more minutes than that we are going to have to play one of them at PF at some point during the game.

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Kinda but not really. Poor shot selection has been Ariza's biggest problem so far.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Gotta have Battier on the floor with McGrady if the other team has a competent scorer at the wing. I'm down with McGrady taking plenty of Trevor's minutes.

16. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

And rafer never had any poor shot selections??

Btw I don't know if it's me but I found it type funny how during the Denver game ariza and Brooks just ignored mcgrady when he was in the game

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has been a time of development for Trevor.

We know he can defend with the best and pop open jumpers within the flow of the offense.

Yes he might appear to be running like a chicken with his head cut off, but don't forget the rebounds and assists. Ariza has shown plenty of all around game.
    It's just he's being told to push the envelope. Right now he's more than capable of filling a massive role for a title team.....but he's not Kobe.

Chase is going to start eventually.(somewhere) That is obvious...But let's not take our eye off the ball/ big picture.

We need Ariza and no matter what some might think now,he is a very valuable piece w/ upside.....worth much more than the MLE.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

cept Rafer could dribble.

19. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

People talk about the McGrady hate, but WTF?!? I'm curious to know if you mean this in the literal sense or figuratively. Have you been "handling" either of these guys to know the difference?