1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets looking at Ronzoni to fill position of assistant GM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4972849.html

July 16, 2007, 10:52PM
    Rockets looking at Ronzoni
    Team trying to fill position of assistant GM

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets have made informal contact with Detroit Pistons director of basketball operations Tony Ronzoni about a possible opening for an assistant general manager.

At this point, general manager Daryl Morey has not begun an interview process. There are still internal discussions taking place about how to restructure the front office in the wake of Dennis Lindsey's departure to become assistant general manager with the San Antonio Spurs.

"When Dennis left, it was a pretty difficult time coming right before the draft," Morey said. "I made the decision then not to start deciding anything until now, after the summer league was done.

"I don't know Tony too well. I met him briefly last summer in Treviso (Italy) and we did talk last week in Las Vegas. He's one of the most accomplished guys out there, no doubt about it.

"Right now, I'm trying to figure out the ramifications on our current staff, if we bring somebody in. That's the thing. Over the years, Rudy (Tomjanovich) and Carroll (Dawson) built a very, very good staff."

Ronzoni, who just completed his sixth season with the Pistons, directs all of Detroit's international scouting activities and has extensive contacts around the world. Ronzoni acted as an unofficial consultant to Dawson when the Rockets were trying to sign Yao Ming to his first NBA contract out of China.

"I'm being kind of careful right now with our staff," Morey said. "We could roll on for a while. There is no reason for speed. We have a staff that's very capable. I feel the same way that I do about our roster right now. We're dealing from strength. I like it and we'll always look to upgrade."

fran.blinebury@chron.com

2. abundance

abundance Member

That's great! It seems that we are getting Ronzoni to copy the Spurs drafting style. If you are drafting late, draft international.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

4. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Ronzoni is one of the most connected scouts in the business. He is credited with discovering Yao Ming as well as other top international stars. This is a solid hire. For a new GM like Morey, having a guy who is as connected as Ronzoni is, well, thats quite a luxury.

5. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

6. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

They can't be too interested if they can't even spell his name right. Ronzone.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Dude makes excellent pasta.

[​IMG]

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It pleases me that the new Front Office does not have the level of hubris as to deny the need for qualified, experienced, connected profession addition(s).

9. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Does this mean we can trade Rafer Alston to the Pistons for Chauncey Billups?

Damn, what a steal for the Pistons!!! Fire Morey!!! :D

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he would be great to bring in.

i really like that morey is willing to take his time. no rush. wait for the right guy to come along.

ronzoni looks like the right guy if we can get him. if not, there is no deadline for needing an assistant GM.

11. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Im not trying to be a jerk here but I could have swore we have a resident insider that said they were replacing Lindsey.

Am I mistaking this or not?

12. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I say NO THANK YOU

This is the guy responsible for praising Darko so much that the Pistons took him over Carmello, I hope we don't get this loser.

13. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

I thought the Pistons passed on melo because he skipped out on one of his workouts?