1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets first title still something to celebrate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tyree, Jun 13, 2004.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

June 22, 1994. One of the greatest days EVER.

If Clutchfans doesn't go retro that day something is wrong.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need to reunite the Team so Houston can pay homage. Bail Vernon out of Jail too.

3. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Ah 1994, what a glorious year!

I was still in high school and all my friends were either Lakers or Bull fans.

How sweet it is!

saleem likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

That 1994 team should be AT LEAST, the All Time Rockets team.
    We need Sam to get some more rings so he can make the Hall of Fame!
    We need to show Otis Thorpe more love! He worked hard and never got any glory. Without Otis doing the dirty work, we'd be nowhere.

5. edc

edc Contributing Member

Simple, the hand doing the feeding (Mr. Alexander) prefers Knicks from that year to Rockets from that year. Just look at who are wearing the suits on the bench, and who COULD BE wearing those same suits.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

A protuberance of the surface level of the GARM.

aka the bump

saleem and macho GRANDE like this.
  7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The 2nd was better, first team to come back and win it all from a 6th seed. Then again you never forget your first either...

Erbnwarfare likes this.
  8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

I can't wait for the day we have success again so we can stop living in the past. While the old times were great since we won, I'm a greedy fan. I want more hardware. Will we ever win something again? :(

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I still remember. Great, great memories.

It took a Herculean effort from Hakeem to win game 7. That block on Starks going from the paint to near the 3-point line was just unbelievable!

Here is to a brand new championship this year.

BELIEVE IT!

BamBam, tinman, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  10. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Some might say this thread is pure. I'm inclined to agree with that sentiment.

tinman, Hakeemtheking and saleem like this.
  11. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

What about that 2nd quarter spark in game one lead by Drexler in 95, and Dream and team bought it home.

saleem likes this.
  12. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Nothing!!!....I mean nothing in my life of watching sports will ever eclipse Olajuwon finding Maxwell for that three as the shot clock expired. The lead went to 6 with time running out on the Knicks and at that moment I knew the city of Houston finally was going to have a champion after so many heartbreaks over the years. Shortly after, Kenny Smith went to the foul line and I can recall like it’s yesterday his fist pump after he hit the first free throw. He knew. We all knew. This wasn’t going to be Astros ‘81 and ‘86. It wasn’t going to be Mike Renfro in ‘79, or Lorenzo Charles in ‘83. This wasn’t the Run N’ Shoot Oilers, preseason favorites to play in every Super Bowl from ‘89 to ‘94 choking away 2nd half leads in the playoffs not only to the Bills that everyone remembers, but to the Elway Broncos and Montana Chiefs. This was a world champion in H-town, the first and one long in coming. A year later they would prove it was no fluke with a back to back. It would be more than 20 years before another Houston major pro sports franchise would break through.

13. Know Your Role

I'd take 1993, All Star Version of OT over same year Clyde. However, 1994-1995 OT wasn't near the same player. Age, injury, maybe Les lowballed him after the NYK series? I don't know. I do remember for a long time, OT being the perfect compliment to Dream. He could do amazing things on both sides of the court in his prime with the Rockets.

saleem and tinman like this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

OT player like 500 games in a row
    He was the most dependable player and hard working
    He totally represented Houston the right way

saleem likes this.
  15. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Dream's gravity in the post generates so many opportunities for his teammates to succeed. At the same time, Dream was like the ultimate cheat code on D. And he is gracious, humble and cerebral to boot.

I think Sam Cassell said it best, "how hard can it be to set up the Man."

saleem likes this.