1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets facing uncertainty

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Jun 24, 2012.

1. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Uncertainty also means no confidence. They have no confidence in Morey. FIRE HIM!

Yes this is a fire him post. Yes he deserves it until he earns the right to put a team together by one of his moves. Who will we replace him with? Who cares? A freaking monkey could do his job better.

2. caneks

caneks Rookie

core? do we have any now?

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes. We have a pretty decent core of Dragic, Lee, Parsons, Scola and Camby. Either we add a superstar(which is highly unlikely) or we draft the players that will bolster our bench enough to be tops in the league, whether it be offensively or defensively.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Oh, Gawd, you again.

Can someone throw this young man a valium?

5. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

This but I add in we need to trade Lowry, Martin and either Budinger or Morris for something as well. Lowry is pretty much a cancer at this point, Martin's game is one dimensional without the upside to warrant starter's minutes and we need to dedicate time for Budinger or Morris to come off the bench as a scoring options, which means one of them needs to go for everyone's sake.

1 person likes this.
  6. pass_to_Hakeem

EXACTLY ...trading back to the 2nd round is NOT gonna do anything for this team. Either we package the picks for an All Star type player or we trade UP and try to get some future All Stars..WE HAVE ENOUGH role players

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think by now I am the majority of the view in Houston on the Rockets. The ones who wont show up for games now. The ones who want Morey to finally pull thorugh on a positive direction or for him to get the heck out of the way and let someone else do his job that can.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fran throws in his 1 cent.

(On FA, and challenges ahead for some teams. What challenges are ahead with the new CBA and FA rules that come from that): The league got what they wanted in increased revenue sharing and a more punitive LT. What will happen, it will have a big impact on the top end of the market. One team in particular that everyone is looking at is the Lakers. They traditionally have been able to get whatever they wanted. The way it is now, if the Lakers put the exact same roster out next year, it costs them 90 million dollars roughly in payroll. Next season, because of the rules, the same roster would cost 140 million dollars. So, you're looking and saying are the Lakers...they went out in the 2nd round--2nd year in a row. They need some pieces. How much will they be able to spend and get those pieces? In the old days, it was whatever it takes. A lot of people don't think they'll be in the game here.

(On where the Rockets stand): Rockets are in good shape in terms of having money to spend, a good job of clearing out their roster, got position to wheel, deal, trade if they want to, or find a FA if they can. Daryl said they won't throw money out there. They know they need a franchise type player. They'll continue to try to keep their flexibility and stay on their toes, if anything comes up, then they can get the real player. They don't want to be like the Knicks and throw contracts at Jerome James and Eddy Curry. They'll stay on their feet and stay patient. They know they're in a spot where they know they need to turn things around, so they won't do anything stupid.

(If this is most critical draft they've ever had-in terms of the draft setting the foundation and framework for going forward with a S&T or FA): It'll be interesting. An interesting summer. Depends on perspective. A lot of people saying they haven't been to the playoffs in a while and Daryl is saying this is year two from McGrady/Yao constraints. They won't turn it around in this draft unless he pulls off some incredible blockbuster trade for Anthony Davis and that won't happen. Even if he moves up to the 8-10 or the top 5, I don't think he'll get a player where they say we're there. It's a combination of things. What they're saying, what Daryl is saying and Les' philosophy is, we're willing to spend what it takes but we won't throw money at the problem just to get a name that people know that might not really be the solution.

(If they've done that in the past): They have at times. Signing people like Ariza and getting Artest, those aren't long term contracts that hamstring you in any ways, those are names people know. I'm talking about, they won't go out and sign anyone to a max-type contract or close to that if they don't really believe is a franchise player for the next 8-10 years.

(Would the Dwight Howard rumors play into the patience of the team and not throwing that away): Absolutely. They were there at the trading deadline last year. If Orlando had been willing to deal him with [Howard making] no guarantees for the future about re-signing, they were there, ready to pick up the pieces then. With Howard, you're talking a franchise player. That's the kind of player they're willing to throw the money at. Two years ago, if they could have gotten Carmelo, that's the kind of player they thought they could get. You have to look back, I thought they were done wrong by David Stern but I don't know. I talked to some people with the organization about this and they said maybe not but I'm looking back on it, I'm saying, I'm wondering in the long term, by hamstringing what they were trying to do last season, did they in a way save the Rockets from themselves? Do you want Pau Gasol? Does he fit into that? You asked, does Dwight Howard fit what they're trying to do? Absolutely. Do you put Pau in that same bucket, especially at this stage in his career? They then say, it wouldn't have been just Pau but Nene too. Do Nene and Pau combine to make that kind of a franchise player that moves the whole franchise forward that significantly? I don't know. I'm wondering now, in the long term, while he did them wrong last season, did Stern maybe do them a favor by not having them sit there with Pau in the middle of this lineup.

(What do they get for Lowry): I don't know specifically. A lot of teams are looking for PGs. On the other hand, a lot of teams that have PGs on the market. Depends what you want to do. How much do you want to commit? A team like Portland, they can go short term and go for Nash or do you go for Lowry? I don't know. You don't go out and trade Lowry and get back the all-star that you need, if you're asking that. No, you don't do that.

(Do you believe they can really bring in someone with the parameters they want to bring someone in and what would it cost?): Can they do it? Who's there? Really only one A-level FA and that's Deron Williams and I don't think he's coming here. I think he wants to go to someplace like Dallas, where he can team with Dirk and become instant championship contenders or if I'm Deron Williams, I got to find a way to look at the Lakers too. If they can somehow get rid of Pau Gasol or do they think about trading Bynum, does Deron Williams go there? The Rockets won't be in the mix for the big time FA who is Deron Williams and I'm not thinking they'll make some big blockbuster deal. We'll probably be going into the season with the Rockets saying 'We're staying flexible, we like what we have, we're willing to trade...'and what can you trade? At this point, they're willing to trade virtually anyone on that roster.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcas...=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hell yes. Im sure teams like the Knicks would love to have Houstons depth of quality role players to put around their star player. Houston has everything else but the star player they can run their offense through, or consistenly collect double teams.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I just don't see the problem with having 4 1st round rookies on the team, when the majority of last season we had 4 career D-leaguers and an out of rotation rookie. Three of them(Fortson, Smith and Morris) played at some point and two of them(Fortson/Smith)were okay contributors.

11. dobro1229

I hate how radio host keep on asking everyone questions like "can the Rockets pull off a trade for a superstar?"

You are always just setting up your listeners for the same dissapointing answer your going to get time and time again. Plus, who are you expecting him to say... oh, I just heard the Rockets are in talks with Miami for Lebron James???

-Some Positives for Rockets fans-The figures that Fran throws out there for the changes in lux tax going into next Summer are out of this world. The Lakers payroll going from 90 to 150 million in one year with the exact same roster.

Thats awesome for teams like the Rockets, and the Lakers are just one example. If the Rockets cant get "that guy" this year, then it serves them no purpose to make moves to simply make moves. Come next Summer there will be a ridiculous amount of high dollar contracts looking to move, and Bam there are the Rockets.

We might have to deal with another year of hearing the same thing from the front office, and having the best record in the league while not being a contender, but there is no denying that the new CBA will reap benefits for the Rockets starting next Summer.

Of course, we will have to deal with whole other year of negativity and Morey bashing on this board so if a deal comes this Summer that makes sense... F it...Go ahead and do it.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Except that the Astros signed big contracts to people like Carlos Lee, Brandon Lyons, Kaz Matsui and traded the farm for over the hill players like Miguel Tejada will letting their minor league system languish. You know, *the exact opposite* of what the Rockets have done. Your little narrative doesn't fit in with the facts.

13. dobro1229

I dont either as long as they are all on page with the Rockets development plan and accept their place in the wings before Feb. when the Rockets typically do a good job of making room in the rotation for their young guys to get a legit shot in the rotation.

IMO Smith is as much a project big man as alot of the bigs in this years draft coming out with just as much upside. If he had stayed in college longer and developed he could have been a late 1st round pick IMO. Next season should be considered his true rookie season with the Rockets.

However, he is going to be plagued with his non-guaranteed contract. If they have to cut someone he is second on the list after Fortson to get the boot. Thats the one thing he has going against him now.

14. JD88

JD88 Member

Llike I said, let the old guys contracts expire, make a big splash next year when the quality of free agents is higher.

15. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

ANY of my top management people talked about my organization with Moreys "no urgency" tone would be immediately replaced by my 11 year old daughter.

Its sad times for Rocket Nation. Horrible ownership and a supposed "genius" who has no urgency and thinks that the fan base is on board with his plan.

The only ones "on board" with this pathetic excuse of a plan and its execution are people that are quick to blame Stern for the trade veto.

When things don't go our way its either:
    a) The commish
    b) Media wanting big market
    c) The Refs wanting big market teams to win over Rockets.

How about this:
    a) Cheap ownership
    b) No risk/no reward mentality by mental midget Morey
    c) Relying on a 7 foot player with foot problems even though he had uh...MULTIPLE foot surgeries? Hint hint? Problem developing?

Sad times indeed.

#75 Almu, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
    2 people like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I get your point, and have wanted to tank for two years. However having Chris Paul to deal is a major plus, and the Hornets were very lucky in the draft. For every New Orleans there is a Charlotte.

17. acjeitherocket

all i can do is

SIGH......

18. caneks

caneks Rookie

Lol, Dragic, Lee, Camby are FAs. Even they all will come back next season, all of the names you mentioned are only trading pieces which might be pretty much anything not related with a definition of core in a NBA team.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Urgency has no place in a business like this.

20. caneks

caneks Rookie

Those two teams have totally different situation.
    Knicks clearly has core players that they want to keep in their long time plan. We do not have any single player.