1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets expect to land Piatkowski

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 25, 2003.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

July 24, 2003, 10:42PM

Rockets expect to land Clippers' Piatkowski
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets reached a verbal agreement with Clippers free-agent forward Eric Piatkowski on Thursday, finding a replacement for forward James Posey almost before the ink was dry on Posey's deal to jump to Memphis, according to league sources.

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said Thursday that his pursuit of Piatkowski "looks pretty good." But it clearly going better than that.

According to a league source, Piatkowski turned down another team's offer, telling that team's general manager he intended to sign with the Rockets. The Rockets' offer is expected to start at $2.5 million, roughly the amount they had offered to Posey. The offer would be worth about $8 million over three years, though it could include team options.

Dawson would not confirm that he has reached an agreement but said he is working to bring Piatkowski to town in an effort to complete a deal.

"I've been talking to him," Dawson said. "He's looking for a team. We're looking at our options. We talked about a lot of stuff."

Posey signed a four-year, $24 million offer sheet with the Grizzlies. The Rockets received the offer sheet late Thursday afternoon and have 15 days in which to match the offer to keep Posey.

Even before finding a replacement, the Rockets were not expected to match that offer to avoid having to pay the contract plus as much in luxury taxes.

Because Piatkowski is an unrestricted free agent, the Clippers do not have the right to match the Rockets' offer.

Piatkowski, 6-6, averaged 9.7 points per game last season, while making 47.1 percent of his shots overall and 39.8 percent of his 3-pointers. In nine seasons out of Nebraska, all with the Clippers, he has averaged 8.6 points per game while making 40.2 percent of his 3-point attempts.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2011317

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Replacement for James Posey?

32 year old career scrub SG is not a solution at SF.

I have now changed my signature.

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

6'6"? replacement for Posey?
    I think not...the only way he plays SF is if JVG runs a small ball lineup.
    We still need at a minimum one more move..and bring back Morris.

Getting rid of Mooch would be nice, but not likely imo.

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I don't get how the guy's an a$$-kisser just for reporting what's going on with the likely trade.

He doesn't make the decisions on who the Rockets replace with whom. Don't shoot the messenger, folks.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Scrub is a little harsh. Granted he's not a legit starter but he is a outstanding addition to the Rockets. A very good signing in my book and a nice consolation prize to Posey.