1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON]Rockets draw inspiration from Heat's title run/Wells' return remains uncertain

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Oct 24, 2006.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4282475.html

Oct. 24, 2006, 12:18AM
    Rockets draw inspiration from Heat's title run
    Last season's champions point way to success

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets don't have far to look to see the blueprint for success.

Just a simple glance to the east on the map and in the NBA standings.

Or a glimpse straight ahead, where next on the exhibition schedule are the defending champion Miami Heat.

A year ago, the Heat entered the regular season with a revamped supporting cast around the 1-2 punch of Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade.

Now the Rockets are gearing up for the 2006-07 campaign with an assortment of new faces around Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady.

Last season, Miami figured to give itself more stability and more of a postseason swagger by bringing in veterans Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, Gary Payton and James Posey.

This year, the Rockets have added five-year veteran Shane Battier and eight-year veteran Bonzi Wells.

Similar coach
    Rockets head coach Jeff Van Gundy is a former protégé, with many of the same characteristics, of the Heat's Pat Riley.

"Both teams are very similar," said Yao Ming. "They both have an inside player and an outside player, a great shooter on the perimeter. What they have on us right now is experience and decision-making.

"But Miami did show us the right way last year in the playoffs, into the Finals and by winning the title. That's what we need to follow."

The difference is that the Heat play in the Eastern Conference, still the weaker half of the NBA draw. Being in the East allowed O'Neal to proclaim that he was going to cruise through the regular season, get just enough wins (53) to secure the No. 2 seed in the playoffs and then play with enthusiasm through the playoffs.

For the Rockets to win 53 games in the rugged Western Conference, Yao must go to war and win most of the difficult battles over the course of the full season.

"I think the difference is they went older and more proven and we went, besides Battier and Wells, more younger and unproven," said Van Gundy. "What they did was unusual. What they said was they weren't going to wait.

"You want me to make a bold prediction? Well, I don't think you ever know what's going to happen within a year. But I know this. I like our group. I don't want to underestimate how good we can be. I don't want them to underestimate themselves."

With Yao entering his fifth NBA season and McGrady his 10th, the time to make a strong run has arrived. The Rockets thought they were there a year ago until a slew of injuries rendered them impotent.

"Our two best players are in the prime of their careers," Battier said. "We must take advantage of that. I don't think anyone in this organization is thinking about winning three or four years down the road. We're thinking about putting it all together this year as quick as we can."

Where the Heat had Wade to pull them out of the fire when they fell behind 2-0 in the Finals and then down 13 in the fourth quarter of Game 3, the Rockets have McGrady to play that role.

Even if it takes most of the season for the Rockets to jell, and even if they end up behind Dallas, San Antonio and Phoenix in the standings, this lineup could — like Miami — give the Rockets a puncher's chance.

Hungry T-Mac
    "I'll tell you this," said Van Gundy. "If those three teams are up there at that level and we can be somewhere close, I would never bet against Tracy McGrady in the Western Conference playoffs. Because I think he's been around enough years, he's hungry enough, and he's got another level in him."

That's the Wade effect.

"Where Miami brought in Posey, J-Will, Walker and Payton, we have Battier, myself, Wells and Kirk Snyder," said Rafer Alston. "There are major similarities. Our main focus is the now."

It's a team that hasn't played a regular-season game yet and will likely take even a few more weeks to integrate Wells. But even deep into the bench, the Rockets look at the Heat and see inspiration.

No longer time to wait
    "My hat's off to the (Rockets') organization for not being scared to make changes that they feel they needed to take the next step," said Casey Jacobsen. "Some teams in the NBA are just grateful to get into the playoffs. I don't think this is one of those organizations. The goal here is to go deep in the playoffs and legitimately contend. You don't always have to wait and build slow to do that."

One look straight ahead at Miami is proof.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4282478.html

Oct. 23, 2006, 11:54PM
    ROCKETS NOTES: Wells' return remains uncertain

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

With the Rockets opening the last two seasons at 6-11 and 3-11, a fast start has been on their minds. Yet Bonzi Wells has barely practiced in training camp, let alone played in an exhibition game, and no one seems to know when his absence for "personal reasons" will end.

"He's not gonna be active right away," said head coach Jeff Van Gundy, insisting he's not concerned. "I think that's expecting way too much.

"When something like (this) happens, it's just like an injury situation. As a coach, you don't concern yourself with that.

"You just coach who you have, try to get them ready to play and believe that you have more than enough to win with, which I believe we do. I don't think we're held hostage by anybody's situation, like an injury to one person or issues that come up. We'll be fine."

Luther Head also missed another practice due to a death in his family.

Getting a jump
    Yao Ming is still struggling to find rhythm on his jumper, but says the Rockets are making steady progress toward the Nov. 1 season opener.

"I still having problems we can fix," he said. "We are going the right way.

"What we need is to find a way to have quicker starts. You saw in the last game, even when the Spurs left many of their key players at home and used their second unit. Our starters still started slow and fell behind.We need to get better at that over our last two (exhibition) games."

One of the good ones
    Jeff Van Gundy never tires of talking about Shane Battier.

"I frequently say you never know a guy until you've coached him," said the head coach. "A lot of times the hype is more than you get. But with (Battier) it's the opposite.

"He just needs to every day get a better understanding of what we're trying to do and what we're asking him to do. But he's intent on getting better every day. You wouldn't think that would be so unusual at this level. But it is."

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

from that jacobsen quote it sounds like he was told he was going to make the team. not sure if he would say such things if he was the one being cut for the team "to take the next step"

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Uh oh. JVG has a major man-crush on Battier.

Bye-bye, Flyin' Ryan.

4. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

"You want me to make a bold prediction? Well, I don't think you ever know what's going to happen within a year. But I know this. I like our group. I don't want to underestimate how good we can be. I don't want them to underestimate themselves."

i can't believe jvg said that. if he likes this group, he must see something that impresses him greatly. if he likes this group, i love this group.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rockets have him blogging, bagging groceries, addressing the media. I wonder if it's part of that "insider" marketing gimmick. Let fans share the experience of being a NBA player through Casey's season with the Rockets...

6. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Did Van Gundy really make those optimistic statements or am I drunk? Is Van Gundy really using some positive reinforcement on top of his usual gloomy statements? I am impressed

2 other observations

Yao is not only improving his play on the court, but he's becoming more vocal as he understands the language better and becomes more of a leader. I love what I am seeing from the big guy.

The other thing is that what people forget about T-Mac is that as good as he is during the regular season, his play in the postseason throughout his career has been Jordanesque. He has anohter level that he can go to. THat's how talented he is. His points, FG%, assists and rebounds are all higher in the playoffs by a good margin. Every year from 2001 on that he has been in the playoffs, he has been the best performer.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Didn't Van Gundy say something similar (he likes the team, they can be really good, etc.) about last year's team before the season started?

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am not sure he could have, but there was a lot of hope for last years team too. if somehow we could rewind the clock and make it so no one got injured i think the team would have done well but i have higher optimism for the team this year

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Sort of like The_Yoyo just said, he may have made confident statements about last year's team, but last year's team never really existed, so he may have been 100% justified in making such statements. We'll just never know.

10. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i don't recall him ever sounding confident in last years team. the only comments i recall were saying not to get overexcited and that the team was still far off from good.

11. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

we'll see how inspired they are when they play the Mavs here.

12. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The alarm on Bonzi Wells should begin to sound about now...

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have a very uneasy feeling about this. It would help to know if this is medical, psychological, or family related.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It's very possible it could be something similar to what Tmac went through last year with the death in his family. The guy just needs some time.

I think things will be fine.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

I surely hope you are right, Wells is the "tipping point" on this team. He puts them in a position to rise higher. They might do it without him, but I like their chances better with him.

16. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Excused or not, Van Gundy has seemed underwhelmed at Well's commitment to getting in shape.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I understand that some things have to be private, but on the other hand, athletes are public figures, etc. I do think it is a little unfair to the fans to not provide a tad bit more information on the Bonzi Wells situation. Just a simple report:

"Bonzi is out with [death in the family, arrest in the family, etc. - something still general, but a little more specific] and there is no definitive time-table on his return. Right now our best guess is he'll get back with the team sometime in the next [2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, etc.]"

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, what he basically said was he let his love for the 04-05 team cloud his judgment in not realizing how old they all were and that they wouldn't be able to keep up that level of play/stay injury free anymore.

If you remember last year during training camp he was pretty negative and kept saying that there are problems. Nobody really wanted to believe that.

It also seems different because he loved the people on that 04-05 team and how they all bought in. He seems to love the talent potential of this team because they clearly are not cohesive yet. So that would seem more promising.

19. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Based on the photos in the other thread....

It's "bed time for Bonzi" that is Well's #1 priority right now.

The Dude's out clubbing and not practicing, what kinda bs is that>

20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

That's horrible, just horrible... ;)