1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets countdown a look at the point guards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devin23, Sep 16, 2013.

1. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Am I reading this wrong or did coachbadlee just give Lin somewhat of a compliment, saying he's better than Nash, Dragic, Teague, Jennings, etc.?

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'd really love to see Gengar answer this question.

3. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

While you can't say that any of those guys are certainly worse than Lin, it's arguable that Lin is on par with some of those guys (i.e Nash, Dragic, Teague, Rubio, Jennings, Walker, Vazquez), making him about an average starting pg.

Now I'm not sure if he'll ever be top 10, considering how good and young many of the starting point guards are, but if he's still right around average (~13-20), that's still good considering the point guard position in the NBA has by far the most depth

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thank you. People forget Brooks is actually starting his prime years.

5. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Never said Dragic is better, my man. I just threw his name in there cause it is certainly certainly debatable. You can make an argument that Lin is better than some of the people in the list, sure, but my point is that you can't really say Lin is a (or is about to become) a top 10 PG when it's not even a given that he is in the top 20. It's even worse if you consider that this is a 30 team league, so after the top 20 comes the bottom 10.

I like Lin, but in today's NBA's overly saturated with talent starting PG list, I can't say he's even above average. That's not to say he needs to go, of course, not at all. I'm just saying, let's not overrate him.

6. Fighton

Fighton Member

i'd say other than the top 5-8 guys, the rest are up for debate, and a lot depends on how they're used on the team. some guys do certain pg things better than some other guys. some guys shoot better, some guys pass better, some guys understand the game better, etc.. but most of these guys outside of 5-8 can all be very good if given the right opportunity (except for guys like jennings - he's been given every. single. opportunity to be THE guy but hasn't really separated himself in any way, so he is what he is regardless of the situation he's in).

7. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

Oh, u dont know much about CBL. He is a Lin fan around Sept. 12. The lof/loh happens, plus tinman came back post sept... I enjoyed my cf early days...

8. steady

steady Member

Another way to think about it is if you take out the top 10 PGs (who probably either will not move or will be too expensive). Say;
    Holiday
    Wall
    Williams
    Curry
    Irving
    Westbrook
    Rondo
    Rose
    Parker
    Paul

You are left with a second ten player tier of:
    Conley
    Lillard
    Nash
    Rubio
    Dragic
    Walker
    Teague
    Vasquez
    Lin

Lin is among the four youngest of this group.

... even without weighing in the KFC chicken buckets : ) , there is going to be some interest in him.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Be reasonable.

Irving, Holiday, Parker, Rose, Rondo, Westbrook, Paul, Curry, Williams, Lawson just the top of my head.

This is not an insult to Lin but he is not top 10 PG.

10. steady

steady Member

I just saw the post quoted above was just about top PGs in league. I've been thinking about who is the best PG for the Rockets, and whether Lin will be in demand when his contract is up, which was talked about in another thread.

11. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I see nothing wrong with his reasoning. 2.5 assits per 33 minutes is actually horrible for a starting PG. 11 points per 33 min. is also nothing to write home about. This was done while facing a team that lost an all star.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree, and AB could be a valuable addition for his offense if he gets near his 2008-09 level of play. He's capable of lighting it up. Brooks shot 42% from Downtown during our playoff run and was a real difference maker, despite his defense. I'll be surprised if he doesn't make the roster, and I don't think he wants to go anywhere.

13. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You may be right but for him to ask why people think that Beverley is so great and better than Lin is not flawed.

Beverley plays tough on the ball D and a lot of people think that means he is playing great ball when in fact it doesn't. I like Beverley but he isn't anywhere close to being the playmaker that Lin is and that is something you need from your pointguard. Beverley is a good bench player and that should be the end of the discussion. Hopefully he improves this year and develops some play making ability but a lot of that is natural, you either have it or you don't.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have always given Lin props. My thing was about how to make the team better and balanced.

15. basketballholic

I think Brooks would approve a trade because he would most likely be traded to a team that is going to automatically cut him. In your scenario, obviously he wouldn't approve a trade if the possibility to double-dip the minimum was there for him. Morey already knows that. It it came to that...Morey is going to find a 3rd team that wants Brooks, then he's going to line up his trade with the second team...that will cut Brooks.

Another thing is the minimum salary exception starts to reduce from the first day of the season. If Brooks doesn't accept a trade...Morey could just let him rot on the bench. No PT, no opportunity to prove himself for another deal, no move to a possible playoff contender that he might get run on, and the double-dipping opportunity going lower and lower with every day he is sitting and the minimum exception is decreasing. No ability to make a little extra dough or get some run by possibly accepting a trade. All Morey has to do is let him rot out the season. So, I believe there is a compromise that could be worked out. Simply set up a trade to a team that is going to waive him anyways.

On another note, the more I think about Brewer's deal being only guaranteed for $100,000...the more likely I think it is that Brooks gets cut as the last man. Brewer's deal has a higher salary figure and he can be immediately cut if traded for nothing, a much more enticing trade filler after Dec 15, than Brooks guaranteed $1 million.

Brooks is going to have to play his tail off and somebody else is going to have to play very poorly for Brooks to make this team.

Of course, there could be a multi-player trade come to light during camp. Perhaps some combination of Greg Smith and one of the young 4's for a $3-$3.5 million expiring/non-guaranteed salary and a future first round pick???
    Something like that would clear a spot to keep Brooks around for a little bit. Or an injury to one of the other 3 PGs.

But from my vantage point right now Brooks is the 16th man.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We don't need a play making point guard at all.

17. Fighton

Fighton Member

you're missing my point. my point is there is no top 10. once you get past this list here (and i wouldn't include lawson in here, and this is the first year that holiday has made any noise at all) you're left with guys that if given the right situation or opportunity, can all be very good pg's (except for jennings). holiday was given a lot more usage this past year and look what happened. this time last year no one would've thought he would have the year that he had.

18. Fighton

Fighton Member

and no one knows what rose will be like coming back from his serious injury. the way he plays is very dependent upon his athleticism.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I will bet dollars to donuts he'll be better than Jeremy Lin. And this despite knowing nothing about his recovery process as of right now.

20. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You're right about his play being dependent on his athleticism but come on this is Derek Rose you just know he is going to be good.