1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets close early but win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manila, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Manila

Manila Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/rox/3630157.html

Rockets close early but win
    Bucks almost steal the show in fourth quarter

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

In the afternoon, on the practice court and in front of the video evidence, the details will matter again. At night, when the scoreboards are turned on, the Rockets don't have the luxury of being choosy.

The Rockets would be happy, David Wesley had pledged on Monday, with any win — "ugly, pretty, nice and easy, kick the (heck) out of teams, whatever. I don't care."

So a game later, the Rockets somehow did them all. They started badly Wednesday, finished worse and fought through the flare-up of Tracy McGrady's back problems and Yao Ming's fatigue to take an 86-84 win over the Milwaukee Bucks that, if not entirely satisfying, was enough to snap a three-game losing streak.

"If it all equals a win, how about that," Wesley said. "Whatever it takes."

The Rockets were so wildly inconsistent that they scored more in the second quarter than they have all season — and less in the fourth. They trailed by as much as 13 in the first half — and led by as much as 13 in the second. They scored three points in the final 6 1/2 minutes but emerged with the win when the game's leading scorer, Bobby Simmons, missed a late 3 for the win.

Long before that rebound bounced out of bounds and away from the Bucks' T.J. Ford with 3.9 seconds left, the Rockets had seemed in position to blow out the Bucks.

Yao looked sharp — if not in shape — in just his second game back from toe surgery, scoring 21 points with 13 rebounds.

"I think I'm still not in great shape right now because it's only been two games," Yao said. "I'm trying to get into game shape. I have to learn more and not make a lot of mistakes that should not happen. Before I had my injury, I didn't make them."

Stiff back
    While those issues were expected, McGrady's came with little warning.

McGrady said he has had no problems with the back in the previous seven games since his return, but was stiff after the back-to-back and was unable to get loose on Wednesday. He made just six of 19 shots, going 1-for-6 in the fourth quarter.

"My back was just tight," McGrady said. "There was no pain. I just could never get loose. It was just one of those days you roll out of bed and your body is sore and your back is stiff and tight. No matter what you do, you can't seem to get it right. I'm not worried because there wasn't any pain.

"When I have that tightness in my back, it's the only thing I'm really thinking of."

Others step in
    With McGrady struggling, the Rockets came as close to winning without him as they have this season — but not until they went to their bench and found a much-needed jolt of energy.

On a day that Stromile Swift was banished to the inactive list after showing up late for the morning shoot-around, he looked more like a trend-setter than rebellious.

The Rockets were no more on time for the game and were barely more active, falling behind 24-11, with 1:41 left in the quarter. But three misses into the second quarter, the Rockets found a forward determined to be above all things, active.

Hayes to rescue
    Chuck Hayes began the Rockets' turnaround with a tip, blocked the Bucks' next shot, and then beat them down the court for a fast-break layup, getting as many field goals in the span of 25 seconds as any of his teammates had in the first quarter.

"I was just playing," Hayes, who had eight points and eight rebounds in 15 minutes, said. "I was having fun. When I got in there, I told myself I was going to run the court, try to get a fast-break point and get us going."

It worked, and the Rockets stayed that way until six minutes were left in the game in which they would make just one of their last eight shots, barely holding on — but without complaint.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROCKETS SUMMARY
    Tardy Swift faces fine
    Rockets forward Stromile Swift was placed on the inactive list on Wednesday because he arrived late to Wednesday's morning shootaround.

Swift was not suspended, and therefore was paid. Although he will be fined, he is eligible to return to practice today.

"He had an unexcused lateness so it's unfortunate, but it happens," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "I think he played his best minutes in a long time against Memphis. It's unfortunate. But he's a good player and a good guy. Tomorrow's another day."

Swift had been dropped a spot in the Rockets' rotation, with rookie Chuck Hayes the first forward or center off the Rockets' bench.

Hayes has averaged 6.8 points and 7.9 rebounds in 22.5 minutes per game.

Ready to play
    The Rockets could have a relatively full house at practice today.

Guard Jon Barry said he hoped that going through practice today might be enough for him to be cleared to play Friday against the SuperSonics.

Guard/forward Derek Anderson was in Kentucky on Wednesday, hoping to have his doctor clear him to return to practice. Anderson would also have to get approval from Rockets doctors to practice today.

"I'm doing enough on the court," Anderson said this week, "I don't know why I can't practice."

Barry has been practicing with the team, but the practices have been more of walkthroughs than full practices. He has been playing fullcourt one-on-one with Anderson and Bob Sura.

"I'll talk to Jeff ( Van Gundy) after practice," Barry said. "I'm ready to go. We're getting down to crunch time. We don't have a lot of time left. If I'm healthy and play well, to be able to help would be ideal."

Injures extend off court
    Hall of Famer Clyde Drexler, a Rockets television commentator at home games, is scheduled to have surgery on torn cartilage in his left knee on Monday. Drexler said he did not know how he hurt the knee. Radio broadcaster Gene Peterson, in his 30th season with the team, slipped in Memphis and broke his right wrist.

Yao is back
    Rockets center Yao Ming's return from six weeks rehabilitation from toe surgery has been pain free and with relatively few conditioning issues.

"(The pain) is gone. Our doctor did a (good) job," Yao said. "I need to get in contact practice and games."

Yao played 32 minutes against the Grizzlies in his first game back on Monday.

"It's a testament to his dedication that he was able to, after six weeks off, play 32 minutes," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "Very few people with his injury and his natural conditioning problem, being 7-6, would be able to do that. But he's got an unusual amount of dedication to his team. He should be really commended for that."

JONATHAN FEIGEN

2. tested911

tested911 Member

Bummer Stromile causing problems allready!! Oh Trade gods please do your bidding.

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Looks like JVG is going to cut SS some slack. If I was JVG I would give Stro heavy minutes next game and let him atone for his faux pas.

The team barely eked out a win and maybe wouldn't have if the Bucks had Michael Redd yesterday, because Redd wasn't playing TJ Ford was a horrid 4/20. We are still playing mediocre basketball even with Yao and T-Mac in the lineup.

4. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Here is what I noticed from that article...

Barry has been practicing with the team, but the practices have been more of walkthroughs than full practices. He has been playing fullcourt one-on-one with Anderson and Bob Sura.

So SURA is playing fullcourt...

5. rocketstrike

rocketstrike Member

Even our commentators are getting injured.

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I think by that, it means Barry is playing one on one with anderson, and Sura is playing a pylon.

7. piggy

piggy Member

Oh, basketball gods... how have we angered thee?

Must we bring back the Murph, in his suits of many colors, to appease thee?

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'd say that the rumors of Sura's permanent demise were greatly exaggerated.
    ;)

So...we could have JB back Fri...and possibly DA soon afterwards? good deal..we need all the help we can get.

And in addition to that...if Keith Jones is right...we could be seeing Sura in the next couple of weeks also...depends on what his definition of "after the All Star break" is.

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

LOL. Yeah, it's been that kind of season.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

If Sura comes back, and plays at full tilt, look out. This team could really take off. But I will believe that when I see it. I would much rather see Alston as a back up. No doubt that a healthy Sura would be a huge difference maker.

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I thought I heard the Rockets owner say on 610 last week that sura would be back shortly after the all star break, if that is anymore of a hint?

12. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

alston has played really well recently, does that not give you faith in his abilities to run this offense? don't get me wrong, i love sura's presense as well, i just don't know about him coming in and just starting. is that what you are saying?

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

If he is a 100% of his old self, yes. Alston is a good passer, probably better than Sura. I would say that Sura is a better shooter, but not great. When it comes to intagibles, no contest. Alston takes too many minutes off the clock, by the time he makes his first pass, the clock is half gone. I think he boggs things down. He is not the greatest defender either. Sura is an assassin. He pushes, he drives, and he sucks up rebounds. He ignites things. I love the guy. But, frankly, I don't think he is going to play again. I hope I am wrong.

Don't worry, if he does come back, JVG won't start him. If he fully recovered, I would be tempted to, but he would need to be worked into the lineup.

#13 solid, Feb 2, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  14. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Sura adds a second player who drives the basket - he is a master at that. Our team -really- misses that since when Tmac is on the floor they shift to prevent it.

Look at last years games when we were on a roll, on one side we would try to get Yao the ball and they would front him - if you can get the ball across to sura quick enough it's money for a drive on the basket.

Just thinking outloud.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I love Sura, he's my favorite player. If he's healthy again he'll be a tremendous asset to this team. But remember how Sura could never get the ball to Yao?

16. gsd99rhc

gsd99rhc Member

the one problem with alston long term is that he has no impact in defending the point. he gets a steal now and then, but he can't keep his man from penetrating because he lacks strength. he's quick enough, but other points will typically just bull past him into the lane.

the lack of strength also prevents him from being an effective penetrator--he can get into the lane against some defenders, but most defenses aren't really concerned that he can finish in the paint, so they refuse to collapse on him.