1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets buck a collapse

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zman2002, Nov 9, 2006.

1. zman2002

zman2002 Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4321996.html

Dikembe Mutombo hit a jumper and the Rockets' reserves literally fell all over each other.

:D ;)

Nov. 9, 2006, 12:35AM
    Rockets buck a collapse
    Ability to avoid meltdown keeps sparkle on T-Mac's success from floor

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

MILWAUKEE - Tracy McGrady slipped a particularly slick pass inside to Yao Ming and headed upcourt flashing the exact expression he wears in his Adidas commercial.

Dikembe Mutombo hit a jumper and the Rockets' reserves literally fell all over each other.

The Rockets took their lead to 23 and Bucks fans, having lost interest or hope, began a chant for Rockets rookie and former Marquette star Steve Novak to be freed from the bench.

That's when, with the visitors looking the other way, the Milwaukee Bucks made their move, fighting into the final minute Wednesday before the Rockets held on to take a 97-93 "easy" win the hard way.

"I thought we played three pretty good quarters," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "In the fourth quarter, they dominated us. Thank God the game was 48 minutes and not 49."

For roughly 34 minutes, the Rockets were at their best. Tracy McGrady shot as he has not all season, making 10 of 15 attempts and, even more remarkably, three of five 3-pointers (he came in 1-of-12 from beyong the arc) in the first three quarters. McGrady finished with 32 points, six rebounds, five assists, three blocked shots and a renewed confidence.

A night after he said he was starting to feel like himself, he looked it.

"I was in a nice little rhythm tonight," McGrady said. "I think (Tuesday) night gave me a little confidence. Tonight, I had one of those games I felt normal again. I want to keep getting better, keep attacking. I don't want to say it's here. That's just one game. There's still some things I've got to sharpen up. But for the most part, I've come a long way."

McGrady, Yao click
    For a brief stretch — and for the first time this season — McGrady and Yao Ming were sharp simultaneously, combining to make 10 of 13 shots and scoring 22 points in the third quarter.

That was when the game turned around.

"They showed signs of folding," McGrady said. "Then they made some subs. Guys came in there and played hard and started making shots. We gave them a little bit of confidence. They made it tough for us for a little bit."

Bucks coach Terry Stotts went with Michael Redd and his bench — Dan Gadzuric, Charlie Bell, Steve Blake and Brian Skinner — the rest of the way. But the Rockets knew they contributed to the comeback.

"We played like we had a 20-point lead," Rockets guard Luther Head said. "We built that lead and started playing relaxed, got a little sure of ourselves."

Yao struggled against Skinner in the fourth quarter, making just two of his last nine attempts. And when the Rockets eased up, Redd got on a roll they could not stop.

"Michael Redd is hard to guard," Van Gundy said. "When Shane (Battier) is not on the floor, we're having a hard time with perimeter defense. We have to do something about that."

Redd scored 20 of his 34 points in the fourth quarter as the Bucks closed to within seven with 3:45 remaining.

"The toughest guys in this league are the guys that have the green light from anywhere on the court," Battier said. "The guys like Michael Redd, Kobe (Bryant), Vince Carter, they never stop."

McGrady closes out scoring
    With 3 1/2 minutes left, McGrady knocked down a jumper in the lane, and on the Rockets' ensuing possession, Head swatted away Redd's drive. The Rockets did not make another shot, going 1-of-8 in the last four minutes, but the Bucks didn't draw closer until the final minute, when it was too late.

"He's going to get shots and make shots," Head said of Redd. "He's a tough guy. You have to do all you can do. That blocked shot, I don't know where that came from. I tried to get up somehow."

The Bucks did not cut the lead to five until there were 47.7 seconds left. When Blake was unable to inbound the ball before picking up a five-second violation, the Rockets iced the game from the free-throw line. McGrady, who until then was making 59.5 percent of his free throws this season, made four straight in the last minute.

With that, the Rockets had Head blocking a shot, Mutombo hitting jumpers and McGrady showing off his rediscovered shooting touch, giving them something to celebrate when the game was over, long after the third-quarter celebration proved premature.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

A while ago, Deke was absolutely useless, a scrub like Ryan Bowen who couldn't dunk, let alone be on the floor. Niw that Deke helped the rockets to win, what do the detractors have to say?

3. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Bring back Ryan Bowen?

Ryan Bowen can do the same?

Ryan Bowen for MVP?

4. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

He still won't help us much.

He can't catch passes and he misses too many easy shots down low; shots that he used to make even last year.

Our frontcourt depth is so weak right now...

5. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

IF Dike Can hit open shots consistently ...all hell is going to break loose

6. MXU

MXU Member

I cannot post now. since i just registered
    Here is the Game Video, MP4 format, h264 codec, software included in the download package. Enjoy it[HOU_VS_MIL_1109]

7. MXU

MXU Member

8. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Hey MXU

THank so you so much for the torrent of the game. I just finished downloading it, but the player doesn't seem to recognize the media file even though the I downloaded the additional software. ANy suggestions?

9. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

the 3rd qtr, is the level Yao and Tmac need to play together for us to win a championship, if anyone say it, its like they just each dominated and took turns and used each other to create offense. If they can learn to consistantly do that they will win a championship.

10. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I absolutely loved watching Deke and Hayes on the court together. Im sure it wont happen too often but the boards and put backs were nice.

11. littleyear

littleyear New Member

try kmplayer

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

10pts and 8 boards in 13 minutes for Deke or Tim Duncan is as good as it gets.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Redd is a pretty good player and all, but doesn't it seem like he gets a lot of his points when it doesn't matter quite so much??

Don't know...guess I shouldn't be so critical. It's probably just the team he is on. Redd's been playing like an all-star for a while now, just doesn't seem like it matters in Milwaukee.

Plus, you'd be hard pressed to find a guy who has improved so regularly and consistently every year. All of his non-scoring categories seem to have peaked, but the guy 3-6 ppg on his scoring average every year for the past 5 seasons, all while shooting better and better overall.

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

GO!! Deke Mutumbo!! Go!! Glad to see him respond when needed to!!
    Also Hayes played at a more professional level.

15. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

True, but I still don't like the fact the man cannot even get off the floor anymore. He's been blocked by the rim twice now in as many games and he's 7 foot tall...

16. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Redd is a definate All-Star. He scores all the time. It mattered alot to the Bucks for them to make a run at the Rockets and they almost won because of Redd (I think he scored at least 14 in the final period).

I think Redd is the most underrated shooter in the league, IMO he is the most pure shooter in the game (yes even better than Ray Allen), even though thats all he does.

Wouldn't it be nice to get a player like Redd with TMac and Yao :). But we all know that won't happen :).

17. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Deke more or less is a scrub, He is good for 15 minutes, but you NEVER KNOW what you will get in that time. You may get a 10/8 and couple of blocks or you may get 0/1 no blocks and 4 turnovers. If he can give a solid 15 minutes just productive enough to get Yao a break it would be very helpful. I just don't see him doing it consistently enough to make it worth playing him over maybe NOVAK because Novak is young 6'10" and can give the Rockets a quick team while Yao rests, IMHO, Novak would be more worth giving time then Deke.

18. MXU

MXU Member

Use kmplayer, actually i have alreayd include the software and codec in the download package, open the .rar file, and install the software, and h264 codec, then you should not have any problem