1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron]Rockets became a lost dynasty

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 1, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle
    Rockets became a lost dynasty after promising run 20 years ago

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3663271.html

THERE was one second on the clock when Rodney McCray threw the perfect inbounds pass that Ralph Sampson jumped and caught with two hands. James Worthy stood frozen, having never made a move to cover, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar backed away on defense, not wanting to be called for a foul.

Sampson's body was a giant corkscrew, twisting 10 feet out on the left side of the lane, and he let fly with a careful, prayerful shot that tapped like an out-of-breath clog dancer on the front, the back, then the front of the rim again before collapsing with a last gasp down into the net.

On May 21, 1986, the Houston Rockets defeated the Los Angeles Lakers 114-112 at The Forum, completing a five-game playoff blitz of the defending champions and advancing to play the Boston Celtics in what was supposed to be the first of many trips to the NBA Finals.

The Rockets would lose the championship round to the
    Celtics, four games to two, yet there was no reason for Houston fans to be anything except optimistic about the future. They had the young Twin Towers of Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon anchoring their frontline and a fast break that could crackle like summer lightning.

"I thought we had a dynasty," said backup forward Jim Petersen.

"In our own minds, we probably figured we were a year ahead of schedule, and we'd be back to finish the job," said guard Robert Reid.

"There was a disappointment, for sure, in not beating Boston," said McCray. "Still, we came away from that experience feeling good, knowing that we had really whipped the Lakers.

"That was our time. It was before the rise of the Bad Boys in Detroit, before Jordan and the Bulls came on. In my mind, we were a lock to win one championship and probably more. This was only the beginning."

But in truth, it was already the beginning of the end. The Rockets had made it through the minefield of the playoffs after having to change their lineup when point guard John Lucas was suspended by the league a third time for having failed a drug test.

Midway through the next season, guards Lewis Lloyd and Mitchell Wiggins would fail drug tests. And within 19 months of his making the shot to beat L.A., Sampson — the former No. 1 overall pick in the draft, former Rookie of the Year and four-time All-Star — would be hobbled by bad knees and traded to the Golden State Warriors.

The originals

Long before the cast of Lost veered off course to an uncharted island in the Pacific to launch a hit show, the crash of the 1986 Rockets turned them into perhaps the NBA's greatest Lost Dynasty. Twenty seasons later, they still know it.

"It was a really good ballclub and probably missed its mark in history with all the things it could have done," said head coach Bill Fitch. "I had so much fun coaching that team, because they had a lot of talent and because they were, for the most part, willing to do everything I asked of them.

"That team had a lot of guys who could shoot and would shoot the big shots at the end of games. It had a player like Ralph, who could do a lot of different things at 7-4, like get the ball off the glass and throw the outlet or run down the floor and finish the break.

"It had Dream in the middle to be relentless on defense and make offensive moves that nobody could stop. It had a Rodney McCray, who would do so many of the little things that are so important. It had Lew, who just loved to play the game."

It was a team that came together according to plan. The Rockets had won back-to-back coin flips for the right to make Sampson and Olajuwon consecutive No. 1 draft picks in 1983 and 1984. They had chosen McCray with the No. 3 pick in 1983 to be a passer, defender and complementary part. They signed Lloyd as a free agent, traded for Wiggins and then handpicked the veteran Lucas to run the offense.

"We took a lot of criticism for drafting Hakeem when we already had Ralph," said general manager Carroll Dawson, who was then an assistant coach. "But we were excited about the Twin Towers concept. We were pretty sure it could work, and once it did, everybody around the league tried to copy it."

Running Rockets

Fitch loved the fast break and had a cast of characters who could run it. None did it with such relish as Lloyd, who'd been cast off by Golden State in 1983 and became a fifth gear for the Rockets' running game.

"I know there were guys back then waking up in cold sweats with dreams of Lew Lloyd coming at them on the break," Fitch said.

"The only player I ever saw who could get to the basket like him was Earl Monroe."

The '86 Rockets were deep. When Lucas was suspended, the veteran Reid was able to shift from shooting guard and handle most of the point guard duties in the playoffs. Behind him was the tenacious Allen Leavell, who had a broken wrist through most of the postseason but played a clutch role in the second half of the clinching win over the Lakers.

Petersen was an invaluble backup at the power forward spot who could bang on the inside for rebounds and bury the medium-range jump shots. Wiggins struggled at first to mesh his personality with that of Fitch but eventually became a defensive stopper who roughed up and bottled up Magic Johnson. The Rockets were so deep that swingman Craig Ehlo, who wound up playing more than a decade in the league, couldn't get any time off the bench.

[​IMG] "It was not just like many teams that you see today," Olajuwon wrote in an e-mail from Amman, Jordan. "The 1986 Rockets were a complete team, and we were not lacking at any position.

"What we might have lacked in experience, we made up for with enthusiasm and never backing down from any challenge. Nobody really thought we could beat the Lakers that year. But we did it convincingly. We knew what we had."

Lucas factor

What the Rockets also had before March 14, when Lucas was suspended, was a smart, gritty, talented quarterback who could run the offense virtually blindfolded, tossing lob passes for dunks to Sampson and Olajuwon.

"I told John a couple weeks after he was out that he was costing me six to eight points a game, and everything wasn't so easy all of a sudden," Sampson said.

The Rockets zoomed out of the gate, starting the season 9-2. They went 14-3 from Dec. 26 to Jan. 30 and were 41-25 when Lucas failed the drug test.

[​IMG] "I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone or in any way put a knock on accomplishments of the organization," Lucas said. "But when I walk around Houston now and I hear people talk about winning those championships in '94 and '95, I just shake my head. I tell them, 'You've either forgotten or you have never seen the best Rockets team. I know. I was a part of it. And I was a big part of bringing it down.'

"I'm telling you, we'd have beaten Boston if I was there. You look at most teams that are put together like that one and they get about an eight- to 10-year window. We didn't know it, but our window was right there, and then it slammed shut."

What the Rockets also didn't know was the first crack in their foundation had appeared when Sampson was undercut while going for a rebound at Boston Garden on March 24. There was a sickening thud when his head cracked against the parquet floor. However, the real damage was done to his back and left hip.

Big man hobbled

Sampson sat out for the first time in his career, missing three games and coming back with a limp. When he began to overcompensate for the pain in his hip, it led to the start of knee problems that would require three operations and cut short his career as an All-Star player. For the final six weeks of the regular season, Fitch closed practice to the media to keep a lid on the extent of the injury.

"It was hard thing to see," Fitch said. "A lot of days, he could barely run, and he couldn't do anything to stop Dream defensively."

"I was never the same from the time I went down in Boston," Sampson said. "It was like I couldn't play my game."

The Rockets started the next season 2-0 but then struggled. On the morning of Jan. 13, 1987 they were 15-18 when word came down that Lloyd and Wiggins had failed drug tests and been suspended by the league.

"I'll never forget. The night before that test, I was in the Summit and Wiggins was there shooting," Fitch said. "The news then was that Micheal Ray Richardson had flunked a drug test with a huge quantity in his system. Wig looked at me and said, 'Don't worry about a thing, Coach. I'm clean.' The very next day he broke Micheal Ray's record. He was off the charts on the test."

The would-be dynasty was coming unglued.

"It's one thing to have injuries," said McCray. "But when guys have drug problems, there's a different kind of feeling. It's a personal letdown. You feel for them. You want them to recover. But you sit back and reflect and say, 'Why did they have to do that?' "

Lack of focus

Olajuwon agreed with McCray.

"I believe we really had the potential to be a dynasty," he said. "There were a lot of championships there for us.
    But being a dynasty doesn't just come by accident. You have to stay focused on the goal, on and off the court."

On Feb. 3, while trying to make a cut against Bill Hanzlik of Denver, Sampson slipped on a wet spot at the Summit and tore ligaments in his left knee. The injury required surgery and forced him to miss 39 games.

The Rockets finished the regular season 42-40 and lost to Seattle in the second round of the playoffs, eliminated on a night when Olajuwon scored 49 points and grabbed 25 rebounds.

Seven months later, Sampson was traded to Golden State in a deal for Joe Barry Carroll and Sleepy Floyd.

'Gone in a heartbeat'

"When you think about where we were, just a short time earlier, man," said Reid. "The Celtics and Lakers still had their starting fives together and we were all broken up — John, Lew, Wig, then Ralph. It was all gone in a heartbeat."

[​IMG] Dawson walks down the hallway outside his Toyota Center office every day past the collection of team photos through the years. Occasionally, he'll still pause and linger in front of that group from 1986.

"There are still scars that don't heal from that experience," he said. "They deserved better."

McCray can still close his eyes and conjure up the atmosphere, the energy of May 21, 1986 at The Forum.

"I remember running out of the tunnel before the game, the packed house, the movie stars in their seats," he said. "And I remember thinking, 'We're gonna be doing this every year. It's just the start.' "

For the Lost Dynasty, it was the beginning of the end.

#1 tinman, Jun 1, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  2. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

what could have been... :(

3. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Sweet Lou for 2!

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Man I miss the 80s Rockets... :(

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Respect Ralph. yeah, you know who i'm talking about you [blank]OFers!!
    [​IMG]
    What the Rockets also didn't know was the first crack in their foundation had appeared when Sampson was undercut while going for a rebound at Boston Garden on March 24. There was a sickening thud when his head cracked against the parquet floor. However, the real damage was done to his back and left hip.

Big man hobbled

Sampson sat out for the first time in his career, missing three games and coming back with a limp. When he began to overcompensate for the pain in his hip, it led to the start of knee problems that would require three operations and cut short his career as an All-Star player. For the final six weeks of the regular season, Fitch closed practice to the media to keep a lid on the extent of the injury.

"It was hard thing to see," Fitch said. "A lot of days, he could barely run, and he couldn't do anything to stop Dream defensively."

"I was never the same from the time I went down in Boston," Sampson said. "It was like I couldn't play my game."

#5 tinman, Jun 1, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  6. WyoRox

WyoRox Member

God, that was a fun team to watch and THAT team is the one that made me a Rockets fan forever!

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

How good was Ralph? Would he have been close to Hakeem's equal? Because, if so, the thought of those two together is downright scary.

8. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I still dont get how and why Wiggins and Lloyd got tested, and why the Rockets lost three guys in about a year. Wasn't the whole league hopped up? I will never understand that. The easy conspiracy is that something someone in LA ratted them out - remember, we kicked their ass at their peak, when they were totally healthy. The Showtime Lakers were our b****es, lest you forget.

I don't really go for conspiracies, but I always wonder. Of course, Sweet Lou and Mitchell should not have been doing that stuff, and it's on them. But I have always wondered if it was that everyone got tested and they were the two who used cocaine, or if they were being looked at more closely and why that was.

I have a ball autographed by that whole deal - Lucas, Assistant Coach Tomjanovich, Wig and Lew, Ralph, Akeem, I love that thing.

Glorious team, no doubt.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

10. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

OH MY GOD The shots at his house? The pool? The 80s woman? The clothes. THE CAR PHONE?

This thing is going to get more views that the frigging zapruder film.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This article came out of the blue! I love it though. That quote where Lucas states that he shakes his head when people mention the 94-95 teams so much and forget what could have been... Very true. Hell I am guilty of it too.

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

another vid

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wAjiQQtP4uQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wAjiQQtP4uQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

13. tinman

Supporting Member

14. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Ralph was KG before there was a KG, he can run the floor like a point guard and can shoot the ball. Think of putting KG and Dream together on a team.

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

It never ceases to amaze me how much this BBS likes to live in the past.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

it never ceases to amaze me how people don't respect the past.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nah. Ralph was a very very good player, but, just guessing, he wouldn't have ever been on Hakeem's level. In many ways his demeanor was like Yao in that he was not a bullheaded leader that says "well if I can't tell you how to win, I'll show you how to win" like Hakeem did in his prime. Ralph was always criticized for never living up to expectations, but then the expectations for Ralph coming out of college were insanely high. Consider that the guy could bring the ball up the cour at 7'4". I saw him on numerous occasions want and decide to bring the ball up the court - it drove people crazy. I mean let's be serious, he wasn't good enough to be a PG in the NBA, but he wasn't Manute Bol dribbling the ball, either.

Everyone expected Ralph to be a post player that dominated, but looking back, the guy was really a 7'4" small forward. The biggest knock on Ralph during his career was that he wasn't consistent. He could average 20 pts and 10 rebs during a stretch of games, but his output would be all over the place in those games... 30 pts 15 rebs one game, 10 pts 6 rebs another game, etc. This led people to believe he was a soft player.

Despite all this, we did miss out on a hell of a career. He may not have had the career a Karl Malone had at PF, but we are talking about somebody that would've been among the top 8 PF's to play the game had he stayed healthy.

If Hakeem was a 10 in terms of talent and skill realized over his career, Ralph was probably a 4. If Hakeem was a 10 in terms of potential talent and skill, Ralph was probably a 7 or 8. He just never became what he could've become whether due to injury or mental limitations.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You're talking about one of the most important teams and points in the history of this team. I was 16 at the time this happened and it tore me up when Wig, Lew, and Luke were suspended, but you never thought that was the end - just a roadblock to get around. But like the article says it would take almost another decade to get back to the same position.

I still think about that team - it was a dominant offense anchored by 2 of the best lockdown defenders in the NBA - Wiggins on the perimeter and Hakeem in the paint. It was also one of the most versatile offenses with Hakeem and Ralph down low and out to 15-18 feet, and Luke, Wig, and Lew running the break.

Sometimes it's alright to look back... ;)

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Probably because it's over a year old... lol.