[Chron] Rockets 10th anniversary of 2nd championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Jun 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Chronicle Link

A lot of good reading in the Chronicle today, reliving the 2nd championship. It's filled with a lot of articles. I've only read them online, but I'm guessing it's in the sports 2 section of the actual paper.

2. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

I especially enjoyed the segment about the much argued Rockets-Bulls Finals. Nice comments from both sides about the legitimacy of the Rockets' titles and their success against the Bulls during those years.

That was also the first time I've read a recap of the SA series where the focus was something other than Dream's domination of Robinson. While I never tire of re-living Dream's supremacy, it was interesting to see story about a different player also defined by that series.

3. Deuce

Deuce Contributing Member

WOW, great articles! It really makes me nostalgic for those days. I think I am going to put on the Rockets Double Clutch video!

4. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3221857

"There should be no doubt or label of fluke on our championships," said Hakeem Olajuwon. "As for Michael Jordan, a lot of people don't know and never looked up our matchups with Chicago during that time. If you check the records, you'll see that we beat them on a consistent basis when Michael was playing and winning his first three championships.

"(Vernon) Maxwell guarded Michael and gave him problems. In '95, we would have had Mario Elie on him. They didn't have anyone who could contain me. Chicago was never a problem for us. We always looked forward to playing them. A lot of people don't realize that."

The Rockets, in fact, had a 5-1 record vs. Jordan and the Bulls from 1991 through 1993, the span of Chicago's first "three-peat."

After a loss on his home floor at Chicago Stadium in 1993, Jordan said, "We have no answer for the big guy. It's a good thing they won't ever make it to the (NBA) Finals, because I don't think we could beat them."

I'm glad Hakeem is so grounded and humble, but is sure is nice to see comments like this from him every now and then. And how come you never hear/see quotes like Micheal's mentioned by talking heads who love to piss on those Rocket teams? :mad: Oh, and that 5-1 record was accomplished without Clyde.

#4 SA Rocket, Jun 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  5. RareAir

RareAir Member

I've been saying this for years......and now I find out that even the great MJ knew that his team could not beat dream's team in a 7 game series.......
    I didn't know that dream was that confident....

6. RareAir

RareAir Member

"Elie is defiant.

"That's the one thing that still sticks with me and bothers me, not getting to play Chicago in the Finals," he said. "Hey, it's not our fault that Jordan wasn't there. We're not the ones who told him to go try baseball.

"We had a team that lined up against anybody and could beat anybody out there. I always wanted the challenge of going against 'the greatest' in the Finals. If there's a gap, that's it. That we didn't get to play them. But there's nobody that can tell me we couldn't play with them.

"Hey, that's my biggest regret about that John Stockton shot that went in for Utah in '97. I was ready to play Chicago that year. With Dream, Clyde (Drexler) and Charles (Barkley), we'd have beaten them then, too."

7. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

agreed,we were to beat up i think to beat in 96 and 98, but ya 97 we could of taken em. i remember in 93 i was watching the bulls weekly recap show,and they were talkin to phil about the up coming texas road trip,i still remember what he said,
    when asked about sa- its gonna be tough,a good game,etc
    dal-its nice to get a road win one a tough trip like this
    hou-they always give us prboelms,i am glad we dont bump into them in the playoffs

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

didnt they started out 9-0? Not 10-0? :confused:

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think it was 9-0, they lost to Miami if I recall.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Contributing Member

I stopped reading after it asserted that the '95 championship was more special than the '94. Sometimes I think the sports media in this town wants everyone to forget that the first championship happened because Drexler wasn't on the team and Maxwell was and Maxwell was important.

11. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

A lot of people in the city feel the '95 one was more special. There's nothing like your first but the whole "underdog" mindset really got the city pumped. There's nothing like winning a championship ... except winning one you just simply aren't supposed to win.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member

pgagriel,
    Your words bring tears to me. Maxwell has part of the core of Kenny, Dream, Otis and Horry set this foundation of greatness. For Rockets playoff history,
    this was by far the most important game ever. This game gave the Rockets the Clutch in the Clutch City. I will never forget Vernon!

(May 13, 1994) Down by 12 points at halftime in Game 3 of the 1994 Western Conference Semifinals, Vernon Maxwell turned the Rockets into road warriors. After losing the first two games of the series to the Suns at home, Maxwell made sure Houston wouldn't go down 0-3 in Phoenix by scoring 31 second-half points to lead the Rockets to a 118-102 win. "We are back," Rockets Head Coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "Phoenix still has home-court advantage, but the pressure is on them now. And it's a lot different playing when you're under pressure."

14. JamesC

JamesC Member

[​IMG]

How sweet it was, is and forever will be!!!

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Contributing Member

Its not that it was their first, its I watched that team, Hakeem, Vernon, and Thorpe specifically grind it out season after season until they finally got over the top. A lot of fans think that '95 team was so special because a lot of fans didn't follow the Rockets till after they finally won. There were a lot of bandwaggoners.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, I can't believe it's been 10 years since the last championship.

Long live Hakeem, Drexler, Horry, Elie and the rest of the forefathers of this team.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Anybody got a picture of both our rings? I remember there was a big controversy on one of the rings, as far as who would make them.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Here is the David Letterman top ten list the day after the rockets sweep the series.

Top Ten Magic Excuses

Good times!

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

20. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

It's about time to win one again. :)