1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON Richard Justice] Rockets' goal for this season should be staying relevant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Oct 29, 2006.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/rockets/4287954.html

Rockets' goal for this season should be staying relevant

By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

This season is about making the Rockets matter again. How long has it been? Five years? Longer?

Yes, longer. Go to an NBA game in Dallas or San Antonio and see what you've been missing.

There's electricity and anticipation in the building, a feeling that something special is going on.

The Rockets begin their games in a half-empty arena that has all the usual piped-in histrionics without any enthusiasm. Fans kill time in Toyota Center's bars and restaurants, sometimes making only token appearances in their seats.

Forget that stuff about high ticket prices forcing real fans to sit in the upper deck. Ticket prices are outrageous, but they're outrageous in every NBA arena.

Something else is at work.

The Rockets have been unable to recapture what they had at Compaq Center because they've been neither competitive nor interesting.

They've made too many personnel mistakes. Take a bow, Kelvin Cato. You too, Stromile Swift.

A clean slate
    Recapturing some excitement is what this season is all about. If the Rockets accomplish one thing, may it be to make people care again, to have them talking about the Rockets the way they talk about the Astros and Texans.

The Rockets are lucky because this season is an opportunity. The Astros didn't make the playoffs, and the Texans, last weekend's win over Jacksonville notwithstanding, seem years away from being respectable.

If the Rockets are as good as they appear to be, maybe, just maybe, the seats will be filled at tipoff. Maybe, just maybe, they'll be half as popular a topic as Mario Williams and Reggie Bush.

If Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady stay healthy, if Bonzi Wells and Kirk Snyder are in a good frame of mind, if Steve Novak and Vassilis "Billy" Spanoulis are ready for the NBA, this could be the year a buzz returns to the Rockets.

We've had a few glimpses recently. That playoff series against the Lakers in 2004 was great fun and the one against the Mavericks in 2005 was even better.

Still, it has been a decade since the Rockets won a playoff round.

There are no guarantees this year, either. Dallas and San Antonio are still better. Phoenix will be good again, and the Lakers still have Kobe Bryant.

Pieces are in place
    The Rockets should be in the mix. They have no excuses other than a string of injuries.

General manager Carroll Dawson had a terrific offseason. Jeff Van Gundy might need half a season to figure out roles, but the Rockets should be one of the Western Conference's four best teams from the beginning.

Shane Battier will make everyone better. He's a terrific passer, a player with a high basketball IQ and an underrated shooting range. He's Dawson's best acquisition in what Dawson has said will be his final season on the job.

Novak, Snyder and Spanoulis are the most intriguing acquisitions. Novak is a pure shooter, someone who can change games quickly. Snyder is a potential star who has struggled to control his emotions during games.

And then there's Spanoulis. He's going to be an impact player or buried on the end of the bench. He plays with the kind of passion Bob Sura brought to the floor and will get minutes at both guard spots.

His range is a major issue, and with so much depth in the backcourt, it's hard to imagine him getting much playing time early in the season.

And then again, he might. Van Gundy believes playing rotations are as much about chemistry as talent.

He has options. Battier and McGrady can play multiple positions, and with Juwan Howard, John Lucas and Luther Head, he has quality depth.

In the end, this team will go as far as Yao and McGrady take it. It needs Wells to be at his best, needs Snyder and Novak to be as good as the Rockets believe they'll be.

The Rockets have begun other recent seasons with optimism. Things fell apart when some players got hurt and others weren't as good as they were supposed to be.

This also might be the perfect storm. McGrady's time to win a championship is running out. This season, he has the NBA's best center and more depth than ever.

All that remains is making the pieces fit and building confidence.

There could be stumbles as Van Gundy figures out whom he can trust.

In the end, though, this has the potential to be a special season.

It could even make the Rockets matter.

richard.justice@chron.com

2. macfan

I am really shocked how little support there is for the Rockets in Houston. I can't envision the duo of Yao Ming and Tracy Mcgrady drawing less attention in any other US location with a population of at least 100k people than they do in Houston. I don't live in Houston, perhaps you guys could explain it for out of towners. Why is there so little enthusiasm and attention for the Rockets?

The Yao-Tmac Rockets have been top 5 in road attendance last 2 years, but one of the worst at home.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Well they matter to me. Sure it got hard to watch last year, but you can bet your ass I did.

Justice probably just watches the box scores.

I should have this guys job, what a ****ty piece of journalism.

Pointless. The chronicle should give some money to Clutch, or OMR or Jeff and have them write.

4. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I've lived here a long time and fans are as fair weather as any place in the country. They're great fans when the team is winning, but mediocrity and losing don't play well here.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Richard Justice comes in the clutch with another inspirational and insightful piece of journalism. Get this man a pulitzer ASAP. :rolleyes:

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Richard Justice is a testicle.

7. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who would be attending a hell of a lot more Rockets games if I could get decent tickets without breaking the bank.

8. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Houston fans have always been known to be fair-weathered - even in the championship runs there were empty seats at PLAYOFF games. Other cities pack the house even in losing seasons.

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Yes this is a great statement, and there is nothing you can do. I love going to games, but hate it when Rockets are losing because fans even at the game do not seem to be enthusiastic. I watched all the Rockets games last year that were on TV and our arena has to be one of the WORST in terms of cheering. I am very happy the Rockets Rowdies are now there that should definately help.

10. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

You are definately not the only one. I hear what Justice is saying, ticket prices are expensive everywhere. I live in the Austin area and would definately go to a few games a year but I have a very hard time paying those prices. But that doesn't explain the apathy many Houston fans have. For example, I went to the open practice and was yelling as loud as I could. There was a group, maybe ten or so together, 20 somethings that didn't say a word the whole time. They didn't even clap! It's always been like that, I'm up yelling and others are staring at me like I'm a freak. Go to a Spurs game, the noise level is unbeliveable.

11. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

There certainly is a difference these days though. I remember back during the glory years all my neighbors and friends would get excited for games. Now, the block back home is dead. There isn't a buzz about them. Only way to bring this back is to go far in the playoffs. I mean my mom used to know people on the team's names. Now? She knows Yao and thats all. I think the article is spot on...

12. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

He'll need to modify his statements about crowd enthusiasm after seeing the TC with the Rowdies in the house!

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The lack of enthusiasm stems from the head down- Les Alexander needs to stop his hiring policy of hiring robots without personality and character- bring back Calvin-Management, how many are known by sight and are seen at every game and also seen on TV?
    The Media- Newspapers - Reporters that tow the party line or just copy others without much investigative reporting, also how many Houston Reporters are Basketball enthusiasts over any other sport? Their Web Site is not a leader in Rockets News,it tries too hard to present a fulll NBA picture instead of concentrating on the home Club!
    TV/Radio- Same thing, years ago there was a TV Reporter named Berman, who was always hanging around the Rockets , together with a camera he was always breakingnews on TV and updating all the latest on the Rockets. He knew just how to get the viewer interested. TV Sports Reporting has become a cushy job and the stations should demand much more from their repoters.
    The Club and Coach shouldn't be afraid to put their feet in the ....... and in the season be on TV every night showing how everyone is coming along and showing how much they are expecting from the team.Where are all the great Old Time Rockets with the gift of the gab? Every night a different old Rox personalities should be on Tv giving their thaughts and refletions on games and players.
    The GREAT Houston Rockets will win the 2007 NBA Championship and in the Regular Season will win 64 games - darn all that talk of 45-52 wins- with the talend we have on this team we should be talking about how many straight games are we going to win to start the season- are we going to break our own record 15-1. Upbeat entusiasm is what the public needs to hear not all this talk about Yao Ming's toe nail and shoe problems.
    Tracy McGrady one of the greatest players ever and the giant Chineese CenterYao Ming , the top scorer at the recent World Championships,are ready to take their place in Basketball as the greatest duo in the history of the game- no more talk about tracys back- he's OK now lets go with it and have a ball!!
    Les needs to put JVG through a charm school, inorder to give his personality an uplift. The general public are not taken with him and his ways
    At the games the fans shouyld be instructed to stand up ands the with trumpets each Rockets player should be presented and applauded:thi should also be shown on TV
    A good example is that not even one Houston Chronicle Sports reporter considers the Houston Rockets worthy of a championship prediction. How can the public gather any enthusiasm for the Rockets with this sort of thing!! :p

#13 Yetti, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  14. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

I'm a big rocket fan but since I'm already spending 80 bucks a month for my cable tv since Rockets management decided to air their games on FSN instead on 51, I think that's enough contribution for a guy who makes just enough for his family. I would have been willing to spend a hundred a month to watch a live game if they're not too selfish.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was in SA last year and they broadcast their games free.

15. deshen

deshen Member

can't wait to see what the high hope results

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You'll start to see it on Wednesday.

17. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Whether you want to admit it, Justice is right. Since when have the Rockets mattered, outside of the loonies who feel every year we'll compete for a title? The Rockets' popularity in Houston has dwindled so far that it's arguable that the Dynamo have more passion and support from their fan base.

Not like I expected this board to embrace Justice's article -- considering he's knocking the apathy shown from "fans" -- but he's on point.

And why would the Chron hire Clutch or anyone? Feigen and rockets.com provide enough fluff and spins as it is.

18. macfan

As an observer living outside of Houston, it seems to me that there simply is not enough interest in professional basketball. Football and baseball have relegated professional bball into hockey status.

But then again San Antonio and Dallas have a huge fan base, so I guess it's not a Texas thing.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The NBA is the only sport in major cities that draws fans ONLY if the team wins.... that's not the case with other sports (football always draws, and certain baseball teams will always draw no matter what shape the team is in).

Sacramento is a hick town which has nothing else to do... hence sellouts. Ditto Portland all those years. Ditto Utah all those years (and even then, when they started losing, the fans went away).

Houston is falling into line just like every other major city that supports multiple teams... if your team is no good (or in the Rockets case, hasn't done anything of notice since 1997)... why would you expect the fans to get all riled up?

20. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Dude other than the cubs what mlb team without a brand new stadium draws if they are not winning?

The red sox's and yanks are always good teams like baltimore and san fran have struggled and their new stadiums appeal have worn off. Name these cities.