1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Olajuwon connection helps Penders land pair

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rocketholic, Sep 14, 2006.

1. rocketholic

rocketholic Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4185649.html

Two Nigerian players commit to UH basketball

By MICHAEL MURPHY
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

When Tom Penders arrived at the University of Houston two years ago, he promised big changes in a program that had fallen on hard times.

On Wednesday, Penders took another big step in that direction, bagging two very big commitments — 6-11, 260-pound center Kenie Freeman and 6-8, 210-pound small forward Ejike Hart, both of whom will play this season at Hillsborough (Fla.) Community College.

For Hart and Freeman, Nigerians who were recruited by UAB, UNLV, Massachusetts, Florida State, Purdue, Iowa State, Central Florida and South Florida — a big plus for the Cougars was a certain 7-foot center who led the program to three Final Four appearances and went on to lead the Rockets to two NBA titles.

"We visited last weekend, and we really liked the coaches," Hart said. "I liked the program, and we met some good people while we were there. And there was the fact that Hakeem (Olajuwon) went through the program. That is something that tells that the program is all right."

Freeman and Hart, who have Liberian citizenship, played last season at Florida Community College in Jacksonville.

Hart, who averaged 12 points and nine rebounds last season, was an All-Mid-Florida Conference second-team selection, while Freeman was one of the conference's top shot blockers (1.2 per game).

"I'm more of an inside player," Freeman said. "I get all of my points inside. I'm a power player. I can block shots, grab rebounds and I can finish once I get the ball in the post."

Freeman, Hart and Seton Hall transfer Marcus Cousin (6-11), who will be eligible next season, should give the Cougars a formidable inside presence.

Cool to see Penders bring respectability back to UH basketball.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I hate to break it to the kids but Akeem went through the program over 20 years ago. Night and freaking day. That was probably the last time UH went to the NCAAs.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That would be 1991 I think, not 1984.

Probably should have been 2005.

Anyway, nice to see Hakeem having a hand in the Cougar comeback.

4. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I'll bet they make it to the tournament this year.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was at ut when penders was there. I hated that guy, but he can recruit like a mofo

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

One of the players mentioned Hakeem almost as an afterthought...that's a connection?

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

The Nigerian team was in town recently. Hakeem helped them train.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Whatever puts the ink on the paper..

9. insane man

insane man Member

coogs doing well in basketball is good for everyone in the city.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Sweet...

Going to the dance this year...

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Fixed yer post. Arrrr...

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i always liked the coogs b/c of the Houston in front of it. some people need to stop hatin. go u of h