1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Measured by last year, Rockets' training camp memorable one

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Oct 12, 2002.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1614376

Oct. 11, 2002, 9:25PM

Measured by last year, Rockets' training camp memorable one
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

AUSTIN -- At first, Rudy Tomjanovich could not remember the details of last season's exit from the Rockets' St. Stephen's training camp. He had exorcised the memory, the way car accidents and hospital stays tend to become blurred memories so they won't torment.

But the experience offers context, and for the first time in a year, a measure of hope.

If last season's disagreeable slide to 28-54 began in training camp, then the cheers for this season's 11-day, 15-practice Austin boot camp should indicate something about the season 16 days away.

"It was a great training camp," Rockets guard Steve Francis said. "Even though it was much longer, it felt shorter. We put a new offense in. I think we got the foundation to our new offense in, we just have to build on to it. Every day in practice, we run the same offense just to imbed into everybody's head this is the way we're going to start the games, this is the way that we're going to finish the game.

"The offense was definitely ahead of my expectations. To me, with four years being here, the offense is ahead of where it's ever been."

Most of the offensive, half-court drills have worked on some part of the "five-man" style. Tomjanovich said the players have picked up on the new schemes ahead of schedule, but have a long way to go before he would consider it ready for the regular season.

"The five-man (offense) has looked good," Tomjanovich said. "We have listened to people who have done that with other things and they said it took years to really be in a flow. I like that we have these different options.

"We did some things the other way when if you had a dominating player, you just get him going. Now, you can't get him the ball (because of) the fronting defenses (allowed by last season's zone rules). A lot of those plays are obsolete. Nobody will let you get the ball. People used to play behind a lot. There's still a couple of guys that you have to play behind, Shaq (O'Neal) and probably (Karl) Malone. Now, you have to be cutting into the post instead of standing in the post."

The Rockets have been happy with the progress in making the new offense work. But when asked what rough spots need to be smoothed, Tomjanovich said, "Everything."

"Overall, it's a real good feeling," he said. "(But) you can't work a week and be ready to go. We need more work on everything."

But compared to last season, such matters seem like worrying about cup holders in a Porsche.

Last season, the Rockets had 15 players on the roster, but began training camp with Maurice Taylor, Jason Collier and Glen Rice sitting out and Moochie Norris holding out. Eddie Griffin, Dan Langhi and Cuttino Mobley were hurt during camp. Francis began to suffer the migraine-like symptoms that would bother him throughout the season.

This season, Rice has had to work his way back in slowly, but went through four practices in the last three days of camp with no difficulties. Maurice Taylor has had a sore ankle near last season's ruptured Achilles' tendon. But he is scheduled to return to practices today.

A year ago, when the Rockets reconvened at Westside Tennis Club, seven players were ready to play, only four of which would make the team.

This season as the team moves back into its training facility, no one will have to be held out of today's practice (pending the results of an MRI on reserve center Brandon Kurtz's bruised right heel). Excluding Yao Ming, who is not due in town until next week at the earliest, the Rockets will have 18 players available.

Given that they are not competing in tug-of-war, quantity is not the only consideration. But there have been other encouraging developments. Francis, back early from shoulder surgery, has been spectacular but also more polished than last season. The move of Kenny Thomas to small forward has worked. Terence Morris has appeared to blossom. Kelvin Cato has had by far his best camp with the Rockets.

"Everybody is happy with the progress," Cato said. "We have a good core group. The young guys are coming along. Training camp was long, but it was just what we need. It's much different from last season. There's always little things. But when Mo's suspension is up (five games to start the season) he'll be right where he needs to be. Glen (Rice) is playing through his pain. Boki (Bostjan Nachbar) is playing through his pain. Steve doesn't have headaches. Moochie (Norris) has hot feet. But we're all right. Hopefully, this is the year everybody stays healthy."

There are reasons for concern. Even if Rice's and Taylor's injuries are not issues, neither has been tested or able to get the court time to shake off last season's rust. Both have expressed optimism, but have a long way to go. Yao was never expected to attend the Austin camp. But if Tomjanovich has so much to work to do, Yao is 15 practices behind and counting.

"I'm really happy, but of course, it's not always perfect," Tomjanovich said. "We had some guys miss some days. But I don't remember a training camp when somebody didn't. Glen had three good days. We'll get Mo back on Saturday. And everybody's in a good, positive mood. Attitude has been phenomenal. It was a very good camp."

Some might even suggest it was good enough to be memorable.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1614325

Oct. 11, 2002, 9:01PM

Rockets summary

Francis fares well

Of all the encouraging health news to come out of the Rockets' training, the most important health development could be the health issue that wasn't.

In his first action since his offseason surgery, Steve Francis had no problems with his right shoulder and no recurrence of the migraine-like symptoms that began in training camp last season.

"Coming out of training camp, it's good to only have little nicks and bruises, rather than something big," said Francis, who had a slight tendinitis flare-up in his right knee. "I didn't feel any pain in my shoulder this week. I got beat up a lot. I went to the free-throw line 10 times in the game and I thought I held up real well. I hadn't even played since April."

Francis said he felt the same congestion that hit him as soon as he arrived in Austin last season, but it did not progress to a repeat of last season's headaches and vision problems.

Francis did give his body a stern test, so much so that when assistant coach Larry Smith ran much of Thursday's second practice, he saw some benefits to having Francis safe on the sideline.

"That's just the way he is," Smith said. "He's such a competitor, he goes so hard all the time. Hopefully, he just doesn't get hurt. Every time he goes in there, I'm just praying he doesn't come down wrong."

Too close to call

The tightest competition for a roster spot coming out of training camp could be at the same position that seemed to be a battle going in. Second-year guard Oscar Torres and rookies Pete Mickeal and Juaquin Hawkins are too close to call after 15 practices.

Torres played in 65 games last season, and Mickeal is well-known from his career at Cincinnati. Hawkins might be more of a surprise, though not necessarily to the Rockets.

"He was not just a body," Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "He was not just a guy for camp. From what we saw on the tapes, I thought this guy can play in the league.

"Juaquin and Pete Mickeal, ... they're hard-working. I love those guys that are blue-collar."

Hawkins, 29, was overshadowed at Long Beach State by teammate Bryon Russell. But he said he learned then to hone his defensive skills. Former Rockets Earl Cureton and Scott Brooks, his coaches with the Southern California Surf of the ABA2000, recommended him to the Rockets.

"Seth Greenberg was my coach (at Long Beach)," Hawkins said. "He instilled that in me, I knew to be able to play, I would have to be a defensive player. I was Defensive Player of the Year in the Big West and it stuck with me. I hope it's something Rudy will like and it is something this team can use. There are a lot of scorers."

Mobley to dentist

Rockets guard Cuttino Mobley was excused from training camp after Thursday's evening practice to have dental work done Friday in Houston.

-- JONATHAN FEIGEN