1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McHale's Coaching Lives, Thrives in Paint

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Is there even a team in the history of the game that have 2 shot blocking 7 footers?

Hakeem and Ralph and Tim and Robinson comes to mind. But both hakeem and tim is not 7 footers.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yao and Cato. Bynum and Gasol. Wallaces. Tim Duncan and token center SA starts because Duncan calls himself a PF. KG and Perkins(and perhaps some centers during KG's time in Minnesota). And I'm sure there are others recently too that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Don't get too hang up on the 7-footer idea. The point is two paint protectors. Ben and Rasheed Wallaces, for example, both averaged 2+ blocks during the Pistons championship year. They may not be 7ft, but they play well enough on defense the way McHale wants.

1 person likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

As Pat said, the two 7 footers (who are great at both offense and D) comment is likely meant to be somewhat lighthearted. KMac mentioned a few times he would love to have Kareem Abdul Jabbar but every team is looking for that guy, too. So I don't think he's realistically trying to build a team on the assumption of getting Kareem or two Kareems.

The team is on the lookout for a good C but I doubt this renders Chuck Hayes expenfable.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Teams with 2 or more shotblockers.

Dallas- Tyson Chandler, Brendan Haywood(somebody mentioned this one earlier)
    Chicago- Taj Gibson, Joakim Noah, Omar Asik
    Sacramento- Demarcus Cousins, Samuel Dalembert, Hassan Whiteside
    Denver- Chris Andersen, Nene(Nene was debatable since he only collected
    Orlando - Dwight Howard, Marcin Gortat
    Lakers - Gasol(1.7 block career), Bynum (2.3 block career avg)*combine for 4 BPG
    Clippers - DeAndre Jordan, Chris Kaman
    Golden State- Andris Biedrins(BPG dropped, last season, used to be 1.3-1.7 BPG, injuries?), Ekpe Udoh
    Milwaukee - Andrew Bogut, Larry Sanders
    Philadelphia- Elton Brand, Spencer Hawes

5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Your right. Nobody under 40 was taught sarcasm in school. If they did back in the day, then I need a time machine.

I absolutely agree however. I see comments similiar and I'm like, hmm, Its almost as if everyone wants those players. Its strange they aren't available.

6. scola4

scola4 Member

Gortat is on the Suns.

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

That's right. I forgot about the midseason trade.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

With a thought process like this, I don't know if this guy can be a complete team coach and won't get carried away with just the post play....

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Give the man a brush and let him create.