1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Lakers will face different Rockets in L.A. meeting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2981708

Lakers will face different Rockets
    Yao only starter in Houston lineup from first meeting

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The last time the Rockets and Lakers met so much was different, yet the crux of tonight's game in Los Angeles remains much the same.

The Rockets' record is once again right at .500, just as it was during their Nov. 13 game against the Lakers.

The Lakers are slightly better off with a 16-14 record. But they currently are tied for sixth in the race for eight Western Conference playoff spots, and they are worried about dropping out of the postseason picture after suffering back-to-back losses.

The Rockets would just like to get in that picture, and they know winning in Los Angeles would be a starting place.

"It's the Lakers," Rockets guard Jon Barry said. "It's a team we're close to in the standings. Any time you can win on an opponents' floor who is close to you, it's a big win."

Barry wasn't with the Rockets during their last meeting and is one of many changes the Lakers must adjust to. The Rockets' starting lineup is almost unrecognizable from the last time the teams met.

In November, Tracy McGrady sat out with a hip strain, and Charlie Ward was still healthy and running the offense. Jim Jackson and Bostjan Nachbar started but have since been traded. And Maurice Taylor, then a starter, is now the backup to Juwan Howard. Yao Ming is the lone constant.

The Rockets also added speed and more offense last month when they acquired Barry and David Wesley via trades. The team still struggles against quick teams that spread the floor like the Lakers.

The Rockets' three-game winning streak was snapped Wednesday night against the Phoenix Suns, who ran the entire game and had 21 fast-break points.

The Lakers pose similar problems for the Rockets. Phoenix's Shawn Marion led the Suns with 22 points Wednesday, and the Lakers' Lamar Odom is a similar mismatch for the Rockets. Both players are true small forwards but play power forward and hurt teams with their versatility.

Also, the Rockets will have to deal with Kobe Bryant, the Lakers' playmaker and primary scorer. He strung together three consecutive 40-point outings after Christmas.

"It hurts us that we're playing against another team that because of their quickness off the dribble is going to put a strain on our defensive quickness, or lack thereof," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said.

The Rockets' speed was exposed at times against the Suns, but the Rockets were able to find some positives in their play that they hope to build on in the coming three-game trip.

"We were right there, and we know we have the confidence that we can play with anybody," Rockets point guard Andre Barrett said. "We can't use this as a setback, we have to keep going forward, and this will be a steppingstone for us, I think.

"(Phoenix) is a difficult team to match up with, but for the most part, I think we matched up with them well when we got back (in transition). And if we just continue to focus on what coach wants us to do and do it consistently throughout the whole game and not just a couple of quarters, we're going to be a real good team. And I think we showed signs of that. We're a real, real good team that could contend for something."

The Rockets will have to prove that against some of the better teams in the league this month. Their first big test comes over the next week when they travel to Los Angeles, Denver and Dallas.

"We have a couple of very winnable games coming up," center Dikembe Mutombo said. "I don't care if it's on the road or what. We have a chance to win those games."

The Rockets lost to each of those teams in previous meetings this season, but the players are confident times have changed.

"They are obviously big games," Barry said. "We just want to put something together where we keep playing well. I know we're playing better teams, but that's who you want to play when you're playing well. And we can't look at the (Phoenix loss) and take a step back."

Rockets Summary

Lakers' losses deceiving

The Lakers' era without Shaquille O'Neal has hit a few bumpy patches. The team is 16-14 after dropping back-to-back games to San Antonio and Dallas this week. Neither game was particularly close, with San Antonio winning 100-83 and Dallas winning 118-104.

Only four previous Lakers teams have had a worse record after 30 games since Jerry Buss took over as owner in 1979.

The Rockets hardly feel as if it's an opportune time for them to visit Los Angeles, though. San Antonio is second only to Phoenix in the Western Conference standings. Dallas is fourth. The Lakers' other most recent loss was to Miami, the best team in the East, on Christmas Day.

"So much of how you play is determined by who you play," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "I think San Antonio is the best team in the league, and Dallas obviously is an unbelievable offensive team. So I wouldn't put too much stock in those two by themselves."

Mutombo stands out

With Yao Ming battling the flu the past week, Dikembe Mutombo has hardly disappointed. In the last four games, Mutombo has averaged nine points and 7.3 rebounds in 21 minutes per game.

"I'm just playing my best," said Mutombo, who is averaging 4.3 points, 4.3 rebounds and 13.7 minutes in 30 games. "I just want to contribute and make a difference. I understand Yao's been a little sick, and it's my job to step up until we get Yao back at full strength."

Mutombo's effectiveness on a nightly basis has been a pleasant surprise for the Rockets this season.

"What we're getting from Dikembe far exceeds my expectations," coach Jeff Van Gundy said.

"He's been outstanding in every way."

RESOURCES

• Lakers update: A couple of hours before Wednesday's tip-off against Dallas, Vlade Divac announced his plans to have back surgery, which means he will be out for the rest of the season. Kobe Bryant continues to play through injuries. He has a strained left shoulder, plantar fasciaitis in his left foot and a slightly sprained right thumb.
    • The Lakers must: Defend. They are 0-12 when their opponents score 100 or more points.
    • Rockets update: Yao Ming is still recovering from the flu. The Rockets took Thursday off from practice, however, so the extra day of rest may help speed up his recovery. After giving up a season-high 15 3-pointers to the Suns, the Rockets now must defend a team eighth in the league in 3-point percentage.
    • The Rockets must: Make open shots. They must capitalize when defenses double-team Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady by hitting their open looks outside.
    • Check out: Kobe Bryant vs. Tracy McGrady. They won't defend each other very much. McGrady sat out the Rockets' only previous game against the Lakers this season.

MEGAN MANFULL

2. lytruc

lytruc Contributing Member

Nice Read. Thanks.

I think we'll have a good chance of beating the Lakers. I really like our current team, but I wish we were a little more athletic.

It'll be weird watching Rudy on the sidelines with the Lakers.

We just need a couple of wins against these quality teams to give us more confidence in JVG and his system.

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A compliment? Must be a typo or misquote.

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

No, no. JVG pays compliments to players all the time. It's HIMSELF he bashes, as well as "we."

The prevailing dogma around here is that he uses this praise and self-criticism as a way to deflect outside criticism of his coaching. :rolleyes:

Wake up!!;)