1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]Kid sent home because of Rockets Logo shaved on his head

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, May 13, 2009.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

This irritates me greatly! (Mods you can move this to the D&D if necessary)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6422937.html

The Houston Rockets logo shaved into forward Ron Artest’s hair may pass the NBA’s dress code, but he shouldn’t bother showing up at Hamilton Middle School in the Heights with anything written on his head.

Twelve-year-old Angel Garza learned that the hard way this week when he arrived at Houston ISD’s Hamilton sporting an Artest-like coiffure. Administrators told him not to come back until the logo was gone, said Garza’s mother, Dalila Mata.

“It was shocking,” Mata said. “It’s not a gang symbol or anything like that.”

Norm Uhl, an HISD spokesman, said student-privacy rules kept him from commenting on the case. But he provided a copy of Hamilton’s dress code, which forbids “hair designs.” What is allowed: “Any hairstyle that is neat and clean.” (Read the entire dress code at Hamilton Middle.)

Mata and her husband, Mike, who also is sporting the logo (plus an Artest-inspired mohawk), allowed Angel to stay home Wednesday and planned to let him skip today, when the Rockets host the Los Angeles Lakers for what could be their final game of the season.

Hamilton’s policy says students who violate the dress code get in-school suspension if they can’t fix the problem immediately. Frequent violators face full suspension.

Angel said he sees other boys at school with long hair and ponytails. “My friends have different hair styles and the teachers allow that, but they can’t allow mine?” he asked.

If the Rockets lose Thursday night, Angel said, he has some ideas for a new 'do.

“I might put other logos, like for the Astros and the Texans,” he said.

ericka.mellon@chron.com

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Wow, schools have gotten really strict. The Rockets logo? I mean come on, that's just representing fan spirit for your team... that's pathetic that he was sent home and that he has to shave his whole head, ridiculous.

3. Rockets_blood

Rockets_blood Member

people too strict these days...

4. Hou_rox

Hou_rox Member

The same policy applies in Aldine ISD. Guys can't have hair below their shoulders, crazy colored hair, designs in their hair, or mohawks.

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

what happened to freedom of expression, it's not a private school...

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So what are they going to do? Make him go bald? Make him stay out of school until it grows back? How rediculous. Let the kid be creative. God knows, when he enters the corporate world, they'll do their best to smother it.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if Clutchfans can support the kid. Send a bunch of letters to these people or a petition.

8. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

wow... just wow... what's they going to tell you next, you can't wear a rocket shirt.

9. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

yeah, when i was in middle school there were no dress codes other than tuck in any button down shirt for boys. now they gotta wear uniforms and shiet.
    most of the time a blue polo type and khaki pants. i was subbing once during university and made the mistake of wearing a blue polo type and khaki pants. the teachers were asking for my hall pass. ( i guess FML would be appropriate here).

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The reason for these rules is school officials feel it is a distraction to the classroom. Agree with it or not, schools are for learning. Expression comes second to that.

11. Dei

Dei Member

You people aren't more surprised that his name is Angel?

12. Rockets_blood

Rockets_blood Member

It's not a distraction.
    Private schools are for dress codes.
    Public schools should be more expressive.

13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

So the Rockets logo isn't NEAT or CLEAN?

This kind stupidity by Houstonians is the real why the basketball gods have exiled us from the promised land.

A couple years ago it was the MIA corporate douchebags at the toyota center. Just when you thought we had fixed it with the rowdies, along comes this kind lunacy. This teacher and school principle need to be send to the sports enthusiasm re-education and brainwashing camp ASAP!

14. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. While it's great that the kid displayed team spirit, he still violated a dress code, which every student has to comply. Long hairs and ponytails aren't exactly the same as putting a specific logo in your hair, and you know it.

Freedom of expression is fine, but it's only good while still following the rules. Display your Rockets love some other way, like wearing a Rockets shirt, or if there's a uniform rule, a Rockets backpack, a pin, a keychain.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

At least they get to wear shorts, we had to wear jeans.....in 100 degree heat.

DD

16. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

True fan.

Way to take one for the team.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Microfridge goosetepped to his computer and said.....
    Home of the free (if you follow orders), land of the free (as long as you do as you're told).

18. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

It's "The New Freedom" which is currently on display at any government indoctrination center known as public school.

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I could see how allowing one student to display a team logo in his hair could escalate into something far less innocent.

20. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

If it is a private school, then I don't see the big deal. It's very normal practice in private schools for hairstyles like artest's to be against the school rules.
    In high school, I put brown streaks in my black hair and was sent home. To me this is just normal practise. Don't get worked up about it guys.

Now if this type of hairstyle is not tollerated in a public school, I'd be very surprised.

Anyway, that's how life goes. If you turn up to a job interview with artest's hairstyle, do you honestly think you'd be taken seriously by the employer?

Who cares? It's great to see the kid's parent supporting him and great to see rockets fans. That's all that matters.