1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Jeff Bzdelik sees path to fixing Rockets' defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Jun 3, 2016.

1. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

That literally had absolutely nothing to do with our defensive issues.

McHale used that as his excuse on why we lost to Portland. Truth is, with Sampson we still sucked on defense. We still let Steve Blake get a game winner on us with HORRIBLE defensive positioning, we still made fundamental defensive mistakes in guarding inbound plays, basic offensive sets.

Basically, since McHale's inception as a coach our talent level grew and therefore our winning totals grew. The truth is, that relationship is linear until the poor habits are exposed(lousy practices, poor work habits, no discipline, no structure).

As Anthony Carter said, McHale with a marker board is like a kid with etch & sketch. At not point in his coaching tenure here did he ever emphasize a strategy outside of 3s and layups. He was nothing more than Morey's puppet, and unfortunately, Morey is a typical submissive dork and will bend over at star player's request cause he's so weak in these areas. Don't get me wrong, he's our most vital piece to our franchise, but he was so happy to get stars and please them he overlooked all the necessary steps to actually taking them past being stars and into winners. He just thought simulations, numbers, and analyzing different points. He never took it further from there. I think he's learned it's a combination of people and numbers that take you there. But ultimately, people that have great habits and discipline.

2. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

Getting back after the shot means reduced offensive rebounds. That's a JVG philosophy that I am no fan of. Lower scoring games.

3. Sanity2disChaos

If it was only that simple.

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Whom should Harden have trusted last year? Who would not have let him down?

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

In principle, boxing out is simple. But the act of doing it is much more complicated as players have to have a knack for how the ball bounces off the rim, making sure they have good position and putting a body on the offensive player, and timing the jump.

Getting back in transition when the shot goes up is just about running backwards. It's not that hard.

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I never understood this strategy but apparently this is what the coaching staff instructed him todo.

I remeber JB coming out and flat out saying that they want James roaming in the paint. Made not sense to me but I'm not a basketball coach.

7. #CTCJET

#CTCJET Member

Marc Stein
    Marc Stein – Verified account ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Assistant Coach Buzz: Rockets still making hard push to try to hire James Harden favorite Rex Kalamian away from Toronto ... as are Wizards

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Les can start his road to redemption buy overpaying to get this guy on staff. Les should be throwing stupid money at this guy. This thing doesn't work without Harden and this guy sounds like the best chance we have of reaching him.

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Chris Finch defensive philosophy...the reason we gave up so many wide open 3's

CF: We need a total dedication to keeping the ball out of the paint; helping each other and making a wall of defenders anytime the ball gets near the paint and then challenging from there out. We really feel like if we do those two things – play with some tempo, space and freedom on offense, and we play with some physicality and sell-out to protect the paint on defense – then we can really take a step forward even from where we were last year. With a younger team, with a less experienced team, those will be challenges but it won’t keep us from making the improvements that we want to make as a team.

10. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Exactly... Getting out of the corners is not some hot new take people. Anytime you play on a 94ft court coaches will harp on getting back, not getting stuck under the hoop or in the corners. We literally had practices where we put the plastic rebounding cover on the hoop and ran out of the corners back on defense in college. They sometimes even called out a guy's number and had him touch the baseline before having to sprint back - really revolutionary stuff according to ClutchFans, lol.

1 person likes this.
  11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yep, Joe Clutchfan still thinks the Rocket coaches were completely clueless and that's why they were a .500 team. A majority of NBA fans will always pin everything bad they see happen on the coach. It's like their minds refuse to entertain any other possibility. I would be shocked if Jeff B. had any thought about improving the Rockets' defense that the coaches themselves hadn't thought of or tried to implement already.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yes, that tends to happen in the NBA, where talent is the single most important ingredient in defining a successful head coach by a large margin. How did that triangle work out for the Knicks?

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

OMG YOU PLAYED BASKETBALL IN COLLEGE!?!?! CAN WE HANG OUT!?

Here is a great video CF talked about a few months ago. Harden drives, too many people at the baseline, bad job at running back.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j3lymo2s5c0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Hang on, you quoted an entire video to prove my point that the issue is something that almost everyone at any level of basketball can see and address?

OMG WE HAVE A GUY WHO'S SO SMART IN CHARGE OF DEFENSE NOW!!1!1!!

15. cdrive

Here is the CF thread on JVG's Defensive Clinic.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=274203&highlight=Gundy

Again, emphasis on automatically running back as soon as a shot goes up. 99ers lamenting how just simply getting back right after shots would have netted more wins. No one ever said it was a hot take, just that it was a major struggle all of last year, and it's nice to see the new defense guy making it a point of emphasis

Even though this is an article about the Spurs, there are some good charts showing how bad we were last year:
    http://www.inpredictable.com/2016/01/san-antonios-stinginess-in-transition.html

16. cdrive

Was that your point? Didn't know you were trying to prove a point. Just making huge assumptions like CF is a haven for dummies that needs hero cool guy to swoop in and splain us all on how fundamentals are fundamentals.

Something still so fundamental wasn't coached or addressed last year. New guy already diagnosed and prescribed. Excuse us for being hopeful on a fan forum? What alternative do you propose? That we shouldn't be optimistic? Buzz is a dummy, JVG is an idiot for putting to print something so fundamental, and that JBB and his staff had this all covered last year and just let it slide game after game? Don't just grace me and the boards with your knowledge though, bro, drive over to the TC and knock on that door! Need a meeting with Les & Morey asap.

17. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Alright, in case it was somehow too cryptic from the post I quoted originally and what I wrote about it: I bet it was something that was coached and addressed, but there are other things that go in to it - like personnel and play calling. Especially when you have a guard who penetrates as much as Harden without someone to "pop" on the high screen for defensive rotation. You have to occupy the corners for bail out passes and spacing on a high P&R, causing everything to flatten out - combine that with dudes who don't really sprint back, and it's a problem.

But someone saying "get out of the corners" or "don't allow coast to coast lay ups" or "make them swing the ball so you can recover defensively" isn't very exciting to me, but apparently you are sold by these bold, new ideas! Every coach in the NBA would say that stuff if asked about it.

I can't wait to see Harden in this brand new defensive scheme next year though, I'm sure he'll be flying around on defensive rotations and stopping transition buckets like Ben Wallace with the new ideas of Bzdelik in place!!

18. cdrive

I never said these were bold new ideas. You said that I thought they were bold new ideas and that only on CF would basics be presented as something revolutionary. To quote, I said "something so simple." But that wouldn't work well for your 'seagull swoop-in' to squirt on everything right? What Buzz said was a sound byte. Just like JVG's bullet point was a bullet point. Do you expect a detailed thesis in an quick interview for an article? McHale would have said "We just gotta work on our stuff." JBB would say "We just gotta respect the game." What evidence do you have that we worked on these remedial, base defensive habits when we never did them in game and we were the worst transition D in the league? Or that we would never see improvement or benching of guys. All evidence shows that last year's coaching staff was completely incompetent on all levels of basic coaching principles. Or you know maybe not. Maybe the whole new coach thing was stupid. Maybe we had brilliant coaches and it's just that our guys weren't buying in, right? I think your snark on hoping to see Harden flying around like Ben Wallace says it all. Of course, the haters on BSPN would probably call 9pt a game Ben Wallace an All-NBA 2-way player. Maybe we can get through 1 preseason game before you give up.

19. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Not gonna just wall-of-text back-and-forth chief.

The midseason stats you put up showed that we were ok at transition D after misses, but we were horrible when it came to transition D after turnovers. The article addresses the issue - live-ball turnovers (which happens to be a problem Harden has). Our transition D was not consistent, but really the root of the problem was turnovers.

We were no where near the worst transition defense in the league from what I can find online, so what are you alluding to when you say the worst?

You are under the impression that NBA coaches aren't teaching transition defense and just throwing out that we were the "worst," so it seems to me that you are a bit emotionally attached to your position on this topic and not really worth trying to convince further. Take care.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Exactly.