1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Jeff Bzdelik sees path to fixing Rockets' defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Jun 3, 2016.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...kets-defense-7960354.php?t=6ffa1512ff438d9cbb

Jeff Bzdelik sees path to fixing Rockets' defense
    New assistant coachsees team's potentialamid recent disaster
    Link

"You have to understand, No. 1, when the shot is taken, you have to get out of the corners. You can't stare at the ball and see if it goes in. As soon as the ball is on the fingertips of the shooter, we need people back. If you're outside the arc, you can't be running in. You have to get back."​

This is huge. I think I might have heard from here on CF that JVG had expressed the same philosophy in a non-Rockets related defense video on YouTube. Something so simple, but if you're a guard or anyone near the key beyond the arc, just start running back immediately. And don't have defensive schemes where 3-4 guys are at the baseline during a rebound.

"In defensive transition, we need three things. No. 1, you don't want to give up a coast-to-coast layup. You don't want to give up a layup off one pass. And you want to make them at least reverse the ball with two passes to the weakside where you can at least get back, build your shell and go back to making them take tough twos outside the paint, inside the arc."​

[​IMG]
    This quote right here. I really like this guy already. Of course it's all about results, but he seems to have knowledge and expertise.

Which brings me to a question I'd like to raise here if that's okay....
    [​IMG]
    WHAT...is up with some of the Wake Forest people hating on Jeff Bzdelik??? You see it in the 1 comment in Feigan's article....and I know...(insert radio jingle music: 'Never never never - read the - comments section!), but this is a somewhat prevalent thing you see a lot on Twitter also if you search. There is some real hatred for the guy like he completely submarined their basketball program. I don't know who has details, or if there are Wake Forest people here, but I wanted to ask. Seems like people didn't like his performance like he ran the team into the ground.

2. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

sounds great but its one thing to say it, its another to have the players actually buy in and execute the game plan and what you're supposed to do as a whole defensively. I guess we'll see what happens

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The question is is MDA going to BENCH Harden when he sucks defensively? Because if the head coach does not hold anybody accountable for playing good defense why would they care what Bzdelik says?

5. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Lets face it, when Sampson got the UH job, the defense took a HUGE step back, and was not the same since. JB never got the team to buy in defensively, even as an assistant, and a head coach.

Hopefully the new JB can get the team to buy in. He is more seasoned as a DC then JB ever was.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

So true, Les just doesn't get it. I like Harden, I want him to play to the best of his potential.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

re: WFU, apparently Buzz was a stunningly inept recruiter at all of his stops in college, and generally approached the game expecting his players to know how play to basketball at a high level (rather than seeing himself as a teacher).

Shouldn't be huge issues here.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mike Anthony benching his best offensive player?

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah yeah...theories are all nice and fine but between theory and reality there's a big difference. All defensive assistants will tell you they have the solution but not all teams can actually do all these nice defensive shemes.

So until I see it with my own eyes that a MDA coached team has found a solution to its putrid defence, allow me to be sceptical.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

So is this just going to be your thing from now on?

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Sounds also like he had impossible shoes to fill with his beloved predecessor Dino Gaudio

I found this to be an interesting read:
    http://www.bloggersodear.com/2015/3...basketball-program-jeff-bzdelik-danny-manning

And jeeezuss! I just searched "Bzdelik Wake Forest" on twitter again. The hate is real! Wow, they 'Rolled the Quad' at WF when he left.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, i agree. I mean, we had the same (mediocre) coaching staff last two years, one year they were really good and the year after suddenly complete idiots? Nope, a lot is on the players. Obviously a coach can help in having guys on his side but yeah...

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That does sound like Jeff's philosophy, but if the head coach doesn't buy-in you have a problem enforcing it. D'Antoni's approach to offense directly impacts the transition defense. I guess we'll see...

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So he is saying that the team needs to play harder.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I doubt we didn't try these things already

1 person likes this.
  16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Well unlike many others, he has correctly identified the problem: transition D

We will see how well he sticks with this tho..

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

If our players are that stupid that they didn't do something so simple and fundamental already, then we need new players.

1 person likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It was quite common to see that whenever a player shoots a 3, the other 3 players are camped out behind the 3 watching Dwight Howard fight 1, 2, or 3 players for the rebound. And of course, Howard loses that fight a good amount of time because there's no help and the other team is already pushing the ball the other end while our players for some reason or another is still camping out waiting for the the ball to come back to them from an offensive rebound that never came.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You forgot the "clap, clap, clap"

1 person likes this.
  20. bmd

bmd Member

Why do you keep repeating this nonsense?

Sampson took the U of H job on April 2, 2014. This was before the Rockets had the series with the Blazers near the end of the 2013-14 season.

J.B. was in charge of the defense during the 2014-15 season... the season the Rockets had the really good defense that was 6th in the league and the team went to the Western Conference Finals.

That was J.B. Not Sampson.

Stop spreading your misinformation.

1 person likes this.