1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Is Foye the next Wade?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Outlier, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Like Wade, Foye has surprising strength that allows him to twist and turn and almost always find a way to get his shot off.

"I'm flabbergasted watching him," Saint Joseph's coach Phil Martelli said after running into Foye last season. "He's mean, and I mean that in a complimentary way."

Foye is resourceful and relentless, traits he developed while growing up without parents on the hardscrabble streets of Newark, N.J. His father was killed in a motorcycle accident when Foye was 3. He was abandoned by his mother at 6 and raised by his grandmother.

"It was just a matter of knowing what could happen if you slip up or go in the wrong direction," Foye told Basketball Times. "Where I'm from, there aren't many people who have positive information for you or can influence you in a positive way. Growing up in a tough area, bad things are always going on around you, so you have to get good people around you."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4001414.html

Can we all agree we don't want this guy?

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I would rather have Roy or Gay, but I don't see how that article casts Foye in any sort of negative light. If he is the next Wade (he probably isn't), why wouldn't we want him?

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

wow, i never knew that about him. wow kind of sounds like stevie in my opinion.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Oh I know the article is all positive. I just added the thing in the end because I don't like the guy, and I'm sure others don't too. ;)

5. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

The Wade comparison is ridiculous.

Marbury would be more accurate.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wade was the consensus #5 pick in one of the best drafts in recent history.

LeBron, Darko, Carmelo, and Bosh all would've gone #1 in this draft, possibly Wade as well. No one puts Foye anywhere near that level in a much, much weaker draft.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. :D

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

and hope that he is off the board by our 8th pick, pushing down someone we want :)

9. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

no, we don't want foye.

10. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Like our national drug motto, "Just say No"!!

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't understand all the hating on Foye. Now i'm not advocating we select him with our pick but do your homework, every single scout and workout report has nothing but good things to say about him. He has the kind of skill set and athletic ability to become a really good scoring combo guard in the pro's. Of course he's not the next Dwayne Wade but even a poor man's version of Wade, that still has plenty of upside, is worth a top 10 pick.

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

He more closely resembles a bigger Ben Gordon IMO. He has a 3pt shot and absolute ridiculous ball handling skills. He can take it to the hole kind of like Wade while putting up a lot of tear drop type shots. His passing is underrated as well. I have seen him make some perfect passes in the lane but no one on his team would finish them because they are undersized. This is why he put up more shots and didn't dish as much as he will in the NBA when the talent of the bigs to finish is a lot better in the NBA than at Villanova. What's crazy is he basically had to guard PF's because his team had a 4 guard lineup which was very effective partly because Foye and Lowry play as tough as a PF or C. I would not be dissapointed if we drafted Foye. I don't see how you don't like him or his game. I understand if you don't want him for the Rockets though but wait till you see him play. The word undersized will probably not be used very often since he will be an effective PG/SG similar to Gordon.

13. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

No hating here. Love his game. I just think if size and shooting ability(not scoring ability) are our priorities and the fit we need to compliment our stars, he is not the right choice for us. We already have a version of him in Head and he fails to add size.

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I think Gilbert Arenas is a closer comparison to Foye, I also think he is not the pick for us.

15. Random.

Random. Member

Foye isn't bad, but we need good passers and shooters. By all accounts the other available guards seem to be better passers and shooters, even if they aren't as as athletic. Plus, he's a little small.

16. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

why not? he is a good scorer, just undersized. yea i prefer roy or gay

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Remember, nobody thought Dwyane Wade was going to be the next Dwyane Wade either.

18. rserina

rserina Member

I agree that he won't be anything like Wade and that the Rox don't need him, but Foye is a player and will do fine. He is tough, athletic, competitive, and has a wide range of skills. I can't think of any real similarities to other players, though he could potentially work himself into an Arenas mold if he continues finding creative ways to get off a shot--he has Arenas' work ethic and consistency. If we didn't have Head, then I think he would be worth a serious look.