1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Get Ready to Work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/1992782

<i>Maddox to teammates: Get ready to work

Van Gundy's style impresses summer Rockets

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- There is much Tito Maddox can say when he returns to Houston and is asked by his teammates to describe the Rockets' new coaching staff.

Maddox has only one season of NBA experience, and most of that was spent on the injured list. But after lots of summer-league hours spent on the practice court with new coach Jeff Van Gundy and his staff, Maddox could consider himself a relative expert on the changes the Rockets will experience for themselves.

He likely will talk about the new staff's emphasis on pressure defense and attention to detail. The changes in the Rockets' offense and specifics regarding offensive schemes also might come up. And there no doubt will be reports about just how long the practices lasted -- every bit of two intense hours -- before moving on to the break before the next long practice.

But Maddox seemed to like the short answer best.

"First of all," Maddox said of his first impression of Van Gundy, "he won't take no mess from nobody."

It shouldn't be a surprise that Van Gundy and his staff would not be terribly forgiving with a summer-league roster than includes only one player, Bostjan Nachbar, under contract for next season.

But what Maddox was implying was that past experience will not be taken into consideration when Yao Ming, Steve Francis and the rest of the Rockets are put through the paces that have worn out Maddox, Nachbar and the rest of the summer team.

"That's the biggest difference," guard Juaquin Hawkins said. "It's needed, though. Hard practices make the games easier. It might be demanding on our bodies, but the games should be easier to get things done."

Though the demands have not inspired complaints, players on summer teams cannot afford to complain. At the same time, however, there seems to be an understanding that the extra work could work.

"He will be a great coach for this program," Maddox said. "We have a young team. Everybody is willing to learn.

"He works us so hard. That's to our advantage. It gets us in shape, and training camp is just around the corner. I think training camp is going to be worse. Hopefully, I'll be there. If I am, I'll be ready."

Rockets vice president and trainer Keith Jones said the adjustment might not be that difficult because the expectations will be clear.

"It's spelled out," Jones said. "There's no gray area. They do things a certain way. It's easy. You won't have to guess what they're asking for, what they're talking about. They're not going to have to ask questions. It's going to be easy to read."

In the summer practices, players have found an intense concentration on details. Tom Thibodeau has coached the team during games, with Van Gundy sitting a few seats from the bench at the press table. But Van Gundy's reaction might offer a glimpse at his priorities.

As poorly as the Rockets have shot the ball, he has buried his head in his hands when they failed to secure defensive rebounds or gave up layups or made particularly unnecessary fouls. He has cheered solid passes or well-placed screens.

"It's similar, but more intense and more demanding and more mental," Hawkins said. "Mentally, you have to be prepared. The biggest thing is we come together quickly and have to execute the plays and work our butts off. Actually, it's the basics of things that are needed to win games, like getting back in transition defense, closing out on your man, getting the ball quicker. All those things are needed to win ballgames.

"He emphasizes defense, playing together, unselfishness."

That emphasis on discipline and detail is not limited to the practices or even the players. The staff is expected to produce long, specific reports on everything from the draft to free agents to the media demands on Yao.

"The word is maybe meticulous. Meticulous in their preparation for meetings. Meticulous in attention to details," Jones said. "Things are a lot more formal in the way they do things.

"Rudy (Tomjanovich) got his stuff done a certain way. Jeff gets it done differently. That's not to say one's better. It's just a different approach, very detailed-oriented, specific.

"Jeff's assistant coaches mirror Jeff and the way he likes to do things. They're detail-oriented in stats and tape. They pull out details they think will be the difference in normal basketball and championship basketball." </i>

Sounds like he'll be a good coach, but damn, I sure as hell wouldn't want to work for the guy! :)

2. sydmill

sydmill Member

i hope that our guys dont mess around with van gundy, it sounds like he can really help them become much better. i just fear that the change is too bold from one season tot he next. i guess we'll see, we'll either be better or guys will be gone.

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i can't wait for the season to start. JVG will definitely bring discipline and intensity. He's not going to put up with anything

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like someone learned first hand. :)

Van Gundy brings name recognition and discipline...a very good combo indeed.

5. Bullard's Ghost

I don't know Jeff, I've worked for both types - anal retentive and laid back - each had their good qualities.

6. TheReason

TheReason Member

Sounds like he's gonna put our team through hell.

Can't wait to see their hard work translate on the court:)

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I luuuv-it I luuuvit I luuuuvit!!!!

This team needs a detail oriented coach, not a players coach. Maybe we'll be over achievers next year instead of under achievers like last year.

8. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

This is why JVG is the best move we could have made this summer.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It's why I work for myself. I'm a great boss but I'm a horrid employee. :)

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

God, these quotes are music to my ears. One of the biggest problems the Rockets have had over the last few years is in the mental part of the game. We've heard the term "low basketball IQ" thrown around these boards plenty and hopefully that will now change with the new coaching philosophy.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i love it and if i were a professional basketball player i think that's exactly the kind of coach i'd want to play and play hard for.
    it would be nice if all these multi-millionaires could motivate themselves but it doesn't always work like that on any team. van gundy will make sure stuff gets done.

12. SLA

SLA Member

I agree with everything everyone has said.

I just desperately hopefully HOPE that Juaquin will be back! I will be surprised if he doesn't get signed. I mean....for the minimum.....I would love him as our 15th man! He is perfect. Great team player. Great defender. Exactly what JVG likes. They are fit for one another! Please resign him!

And Tito...well I have a feeling that he will be back.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Something I didn't post in the summer league write-ups was the following :

Thibodeau was coaching one of the games, and towards either the end of the game or end of half, Thibodeau seemed to be calling for a timeout on the side. The players didn't see him, and they brought the ball in. I swear I thought Thibodeau was about to ignite. I don't think I've seen too many people that pissed in a summer league game. He swung his arm down and yelled something, possibly an obscenity, and just kept coaching.

It was at that point I knew these guys were all business. I'm interested in seeing how Francis reacts to this... he's been pretty much treated like a newborn to this point. I think it's about time for him to be a man... whether he likes it or not.

14. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

JVG will be the Rockets savior!

15. munco

munco Member

I also liked what Hawkins said (as someone else mentioned), it was really on point.

I'm really happy Van Gundy is our coach, but like someone else said, it's going to be a drastic change. What if it's too much of a change for the team?

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Why does it seem, when talking about how things will change with Van Gundy, that the majority of you assume that the players will be unhappy, will complain, not work hard, mutiny, etc? Am I the only one who expects a smooth transition? I thought the Rockets problems lay in the mental aspect of the game and not with effort (except for Griffin).

Francis and Mobley need a little re-education, Ming will learn from Ewing and toughen up under Van Gundy, Mooch will hopefully get back to 2001 season form and work well with Ming like he did at the beginning of last season when they made a good tandem (ie mooch giving ming the ball right where he wants it), Cato did fine as a backup and should continue to improve, Posey is Posey, and then that leaves MoT and Griff. MoT and Griff are the only guys I'm worried about, everybody seems to think Francis and Mobley will be problems, but these 2 are the ones who need to change the most IMHO. MoT has good offense, but a guy his size should rebound better and get more boards. Griff, well he better focus on basketball like he focused on getting high last year. As for Nachbar, after those 2 summer outings, I'm not really a fan of his right now. If he can't shoot, he's not much good to us.

17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Think of the salary and fringe benefits though.

18. danielk

danielk Member

Hey van gundy! don't work Yao too hard! He'll fall tired again like at the end of last season. And I don't think you need to be that detailed in telling francis and mobley to pass the ball to yao more in the paint and have yao take more than 15 shots a game. and do u guys think we screwed up in picking nachbar like washington screwed up in picking Kwame Brown? i do:eek:

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How long before Mo T and Van Gun reply Spreewell and PJ Carlisomo?

*grin*

Mo-T: WHAT DO YOU MEAN WORK . . . I'm MO Taylor
    Cato: YEAH! What he said!
    Moochie: *ack* heart attack . . .*ack*

Rocket River

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just because a coach works a team hard doesn't mean the team will win. In JVG's/Rox case I am convinced this move will translate into W's.

PS Shame CB isn't still around for this 'go round', eh Round Mound of the (not) profound'.