1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Don't expect any bold moves from Rockets/Monday Practice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Feb 19, 2008.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5551107.html

Feb. 18, 2008, 11:23PM
    Broad changes remain unlikely for Rockets
    Improvement within is likely as other top West teams deal

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

CLEVELAND — The Rockets by now would seem accustomed to feeling left out.

They have spent most of the season just on the outside of the top eight in the Western Conference, and even with the eight-game winning streak they carry from the All-Star break, they are still fighting for membership. More recently, they have been left out of the trading frenzy atop the Western Conference.

In a way, though, they said the winning streak and their prospects might be tied to changes, too. Their changes, however, came from within, with a tweak to the starting lineup, a revised rotation and the expected progress in adopting and adjusting to their version of Rick Adelman's offense.

Coming together
    "Whenever you get a new coach, new coaching staff, new philosophy, it's going to take a grace period for guys to find their way," guard/forward Bonzi Wells said.

"Over the last 20, 25 games, guys found the way to understand their roles in the offense and on the defensive end, what we're supposed to do and what we cannot do. We know everybody's tendencies on the offensive end, and guys are starting to pick up what coach Adelman wants.

"We have our two All-Stars and all-NBA players in T-Mac (Tracy McGrady) and Yao (Ming) and some pretty good pieces around them. I feel good going into this last run with what we have against any team. I can put our team against any team and feel we have a great chance. I'm excited to see how it ends up."

While the Suns added Shaquille O'Neal, the Lakers Pau Gasol and the Mavericks are close to adding Jason Kidd, the Rockets have not made a roster move and do not seem likely to beat Thursday's deadline. Much of general manager Daryl Morey's work has been in trying to find a home for rarely used Kirk Snyder, who has said he would welcome a trade.

The Rockets, however, went through an off-season overhaul of much of their roster. Even with only one change among their starters, with Luis Scola replacing Chuck Hayes, they had changed half their rotation with the addition of rookies Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry, the trade for Scola and return of Wells.

The Rockets are left hoping their growth, the adjustment to Adelman's offense and the radical changes off the bench to their rotation will be their version of the midseason transformations sweeping the Western Conference.

"We're looking to improve," Morey said, "but adding those four guys to our rotation is probably where we're going to end up."

There are things to discuss. Memphis is willing to consider more housecleaning, but no longer will settle for just taking expiring contracts having already moved Pau Gasol's contract. Shooter Mike Miller, as opposed to the excess of point guards, will be an especially difficult get.

High-priced Artest
    Sacramento is weighing offers for Ron Artest, but unlike the deal that sent Mike Bibby to Atlanta largely for expiring contracts, the Kings have sought an impact player for Artest, who has said he would opt out of his contract after this season.

Those teams' positions could change if talks bump up to Thursday's deadline, but for now, their initial moves have raised the price on subsequent deals. Either way, eventually there would seem a limit on the blockbusters.

"I think this is really unusual to have these types of trades," Adelman said. "You might have one team do it, but now there are three teams in the West with major, major players, with Gasol and Kidd and Shaq. I don't remember that ever happening in one year. There are so many good teams, they all think 'we better do something if we have the opportunity.'

"If there's players out there, somebody who can help us, you've got to look at it. But there hasn't been anything. You need a combination of stuff (to offer)."

Failing that, the Rockets will try to build on their run heading into the break. They turned things around with a sense of urgency after their Jan. 16 loss to the 76ers and have won 12 of 13 games since. But they said the battle for a playoff spot will keep them as determined.

Eyes on the prize
    "You want to pick up where you left off," McGrady said.

"I think collectively what we want to accomplish, our ultimate goal is to make it to the playoffs and see whatever happens after that. But we're still behind. It's not time to relax. We have to keep on pushing and trying to make up some ground. You have nine, 10 teams that are right there pushing for the playoffs. You have the top teams, if they slip, lose two or three games, that could put us up four, five spots. So we have to keep playing great basketball and stay motivated."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5551106.html

ROCKETS NOTES
    Adelman runs vigorous workout after break

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

After five days spent on everything from Tracy McGrady and Shane Battier heading to beaches to Bonzi Wells getting a pedicure, Rockets coach Rick Adelman put the Rockets through a particularly tough, scrimmage-style practice as is customary for the first workout after the All-Star break.

"Today's practice was real good for us," Wells said. "After having three or four days off, your legs and conditioning are the first things to go. Everybody needed it. It's a long grind, 52 games. Guys took advantage of those days off, and maybe didn't do much at all. Today we came back in and got our rhythm back. We weren't as crisp as we wanted to be early, but late, we started getting into a rhythm.

Battier said it was helpful to get winded again, but that it is just as important to regain the mental edge the Rockets had before the break.

"It was good to blow the pipes out and get that first good sweat after a couple days of inactivity," Battier said.

"The toughest thing is to get it mentally sharp again. Especially for the guys who weren't at the (All-Star) Game, you shut it down mentally for a few days. You have to. The season is such a grind. If you don't, you get really worn down. So you come back after the break with a really good mental break and feel fresh mentally, but you need to ratchet it up to get to the level we were before the break.

"We were playing really good basketball. We have a tough stretch right away. But we know times a ticking."

Head OK
    Rockets guard Luther Head went through practice with no difficulties after missing five games with a strained groin muscle, and said he thought it was wise after all to allow the injury to fully heal before coming back.

"All to the good," Head said. "It was hard, but it was worth waiting."

2. mmchampionship

I've never expected any bold moves,i just want every rockets' players to keep healthy.

3. R-Jay

R-Jay Member

Just want to them to keep healthy and confident. there are just 30 games left. We will take the challenge, need to gear up to hold a playoff spot and test our chances on the playoffs. How would luther involve in the rotation now? i can see luther coming in for 10 min a game for the 1st week

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Even if they are trying to make a trade, they have to put out this kind of line until the trade is finalized. Leaking information cannot be good for team morale or the success in deal making. Just look at what happened to Dallas and NJ for talking too soon.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Even if there is a trade it will be a minor one.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dont expect anything at the deadline.

nor do i think we need anything else to make the playoffs.

if there isn't anything great out there then stand pat and retool some more this summer.

7. rocketsmetalspd

I still believe a move is in the works.

8. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

I would gladly accept another big scoring guard to come off of our bench but we just don't have the pieces to make a move.

Wells/Head/Brooks/Landry/Hayes/Novak/Deke

Pretty deep and versatile bench, but someone has to emerge as a 12 PPG spark plug off the pine.

Maybe Bonzi or Luther?

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm guessing Morey's just waiting for potential deals to fall apart, like with Scola. The Rockets likely do not have the best package for these teams. But if some other talks break off, or teams may want a 3rd team to make salaries work, then I could see something happening.

The Rockets have been notoriously quiet during trade deadlines over the years. They prefer to make splashes in the offseason.

10. Raven

Raven Member

Very ballsy. This decision will haunt them if they fail to make the playoffs. A 3rd option is vital. What if Tracy or Yao have to sit out a few games. Call me skeptical, but can they both stay healthy the rest of the way.

11. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I don't see any reason to trade before the off season. The West is stacked, the Rockets aren't going to finish in the top four thanks to a lousy start, and they won't really pick up Adelman's offense for another year or two. Let the chips fall where they may this playoff season and plan to advance next year.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

the rockets aren't going to have the money or pieces to go after a top free agent. what salary space they will have to spend would be tied up by landry if he chooses to re-sign here. if he does rockets are likely to lose bonzi without adding replacement talent because of salary concerns.

13. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

we don't need to make major moves..we jaz need extra weapons and depth for the playoffs..i think morey has a minor move under his sleeve

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're right,the only way the Rockets can address the loss of Bonzi is through the draft.

15. superx

superx Member

There is no need to trade someone if our aim is just making playoffs.
    But it's necessary to do some trade for the champion.

16. bbjai

bbjai Member

I personally think

we can't trade because of our owner. You look at the Gasol Trade, the Artest trade and the Kidd trade. They all come at a heavy cost of luxury tax where LA is not willing to go. So we won't get that third guy. Point scoring options come at a cost

17. Possum

Possum Member

Or trade him now.

Bonzi, Snyder and Francis for Miller.

Dont stop there. Scola, Battier for Artest. Of coarse this woudl be with an agreement to resign.

8 player Rotation of
    Ming
    Artest
    Landry
    TMac
    Miller
    Head
    Refer
    Brooks

18. Raven

Raven Member

If the Rockets hold on to Bonzi does that mean they hope to resign him and for how much and - more importantly - how long.

I'd rather they trade him now than risk losing him for nothing.

19. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

I think we need a vet PG to sustain a long fight with the big 3 and the Lakers in PO, incase AB gets too shaky in a 7 game series --- from what I've seen it's very possible. Remmember how Luther Head suked donkey balls vs JAZZ? and he was a more stable player than AB in the regular season. MJ has been in the dog house since forever, he aint gonna click with this offense and his teamates on fly.

20. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Again, I really don't see a valuable trade being made until the off season, if then. The Rockets just don't have a lot to offer. The glaring deficiency in the roster is the point guard position and all the Rockets have to offer is...guards.