1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Dion Dowell set to join Cougars

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, here's one thing UH basketball is doing right - recruiting. Hopefully he's a good catch.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3551311.html

A future Cougars player was in attendance Tuesday night during UH's 67-41 win over Rhode Island.

Dion Dowell, a 6-6, 205 forward, is transferring out of Texas and says he'll be donning Cougars red.

"I'm definitely coming (to Houston)," Dowell said.

The sophomore was highly recruited coming out of Texas City High School after the 2003-04 season, and some recruiting experts had Dowell among the top 50 players in the country.

He averaged 23 points and 14 rebounds as a senior. He averaged three points and 2.3 rebounds in three games this season, having missed seven contests due to an ankle injury. He played in 19 games as a freshman last year, averaging 2.1 points and 1.4 rebounds in 10.4 minutes per game.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Penders had to revoke a current player's scholarship to provide one to Dowell. Disgusting. Penders has always been a shady character.

Suddenly UT is very weak in terms of depth.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

To be honest, Dowell wasn't going to get back in the rotation this year. he has been a disappointment so far. He's got all of the athletic ability in the world, but he hasn't been able to get it to fit in with Rick Barnes' system (sounds eerily familiar to someone on the Rockets).

I think the move to UH will be good for Dowell. He'll get the playing time and maybe the chance to prove UT wrong. Unfortunatley, I doubt he will.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

^ Ya, Dowell wasn't exactly lighting it up for the Horns. Best of luck with the Coogs though.

6. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i hope the kid the best, but from what i've seen, he's just a pure athlete, not a whole lot of skill and defensively couldn't get it done so that's why he wasn't playing at texas. i hope he does well at UH but he's going to have to learn or try to play defense.

7. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

there was already an open ship, so nobody got "revoked."

idiot.

have fun fishing your nikes out of your throat.

8. bigtexxx

my goodness. You seem a little hot under the collar. Cool down for me. Thanks.

Last year when he showed up, Penders revoked the scholarships of three players recruited by McCallum so he could bring in three of his own. Let's not forget that. If there was an empty scholarship (I hate to use even a derivative of the word "scholar" to refer to anything UH basketball related, btw...) available now then that would be news to me. I'm sure fake bake Penders "worked something out".

9. bigshea

bigshea Contributing Member

Most of the players that left UH last year were not in the grand scheme that Penders brought to UH. Penders got all those players that left, scholarships at other schools because they did not fit his system.

10. bigtexxx

Help me out with this free "ship".

They have 14 guys on their current roster with only one of them being a walk-on (Sam Anderson). Who else among Brannon, Lawson, Robertson, Martin, de Randamie, Latham, Bloom, Lafayette, Adeife, Smith, Thorpe, Dyer and Young is not on scholarship??

Actually you had 15 at the beginning of the year but I guess Penders already ran off Andrew Francis. He needed to get rid of Dwight Jones and Cedrick Hensley and Cherrington and Hannah and maybe 1 or 2 others so he'd have enough scholarships to sign *the best recruiting class he had ever signed* (his words) last spring. Maybe you have a scholarship to give Dowell next fall but if he enrolls at UH this spring, Penders is taking a player off a scholarship to give Dowell a scholarship.

11. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

You are awful good at being wrong, this is like 4 times in one thread, so far. Sam isnt the only walk-on, Brannon is a walk-on too. He had all sorts of grade issues when trying to transfer in from Lee JUCO. They couldnt hold a ship open for him any longer and he decided to walk on once he got his grades settled. There was a big article in the chorncile about it last year.

Ahhh, bitter bitter rice fan is WRONG again. Andrew left the team after 2 games (kinda like Dion is doing at Texas) because of lack of PT. He wasnt "run off" the coaches wanted him to stay.

So that is 6 times in this single thread you have been outright wrong. No, nobody is getting taken off scholarship to make room for Dion.

And it is funny that you get so upset about players being "asked" to leave at the end of the season (like Dwight, Hensley, etc..) when your baseball coach does the same thing.

12. bigtexxx

Grade issues on the UH basketball team? Duh. I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier.

by the way - remind me again just for kicks, how many UH basketball players graduated in the 80s?

13. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Hey why fess up to the total BS that was your post...when it is much easier to just changr the subject...

:rolleyes:

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Cripes. That was almost painful to read.

15. Major

Major Member

Ha! It's good to see bigtexxx spreads his wrongness amongst all sports and schools.

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Ya'll probably won't believe me, but I used to ball with Dion when he was in High School. We played at the Lowry Center, the local rec center in town. One of his teammates, Adrian Baker, used to ball with us, also. Dowell is kind of lanky and has really long arms, in the Pippen/Horry mode. I remember seeing him in his junior season, then his senior season when he hit his growth spurt and grew about 4 inches.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

LIAR!!

:D

18. sime0n

sime0n Member

yeah...UH can keep our leftovers.

although i did like dion, he was a nice guy.

19. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can think of a couple who didn't have any trouble finding a high paying job.

20. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Dowell has now changed his mind again and is heading to Rice. I think Rice's loss to YALE yesterday, at home, was the deciding factor. :eek:

Good luck to Dion, looking at Rice's Roster, Dion will certainly have no problem getting tons of minutes next year.