1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron.com]: Rockets notes: Adelman to likely play just three guards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Arun Sharma, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Going with the guards

Guard Courtney Lee missed Monday's practice with flu-like symptoms. If he can't play, coach Rick Adelman said he'll probably play three guards — Kyle Lowry, Kevin Martin and Aaron Brooks - rather than move Terrence Williams into the rotation.

Adelman said he would consider a shorter rotation to get greater consistency but has not gotten the play to warrant that.
    "I have to find some consistency," he said. "I think it's really important to get Aaron going. He means a lot when the game is on the line. He's been kind of up-and-down. We have to get him where he is confident going into the end of the game."

Source: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7406927.html

2. landryMVP

landryMVP Member

T Will gonna be pissssed!

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

My goodness Adelman... Get off of AB's jock and give Terrence Williams a chance for once.

4. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Rick is showing so much faith in Aaron Brooks.. Brooks need to show that he is worth it.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My problems with Adelman's refusal to play T-Will more stem from:

1 - His history of not playing "younger" players who actually are quite talented and could help (see Drazen Petrovich, Gerald Wallace)

2 - T-Will looks like he does have some skill when inserted in the game.

3 - Given AB's play, we need someone to step up...AB isn't doing it.

4 - We gave away an asset for him. Not a great asset, but not a bad one, either.

All the above said, coach is the coach and we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. T-Will maybe just isn't getting "it", whatever that means.

6. dial1revenge

dial1revenge Member

Seriously? Give him a chance.

7. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

c'mon! Rick is treating Twill like Tmac...

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

This is simply a case where he wants to win and now to stay on the outskirts of the playoff race. Adelman trust AB and believes he is his best chance to win games and I agree with him. My issue is not his logic but the philosophy, they should be developing young talent and giving these guys playing time to see what they have or will have.

It's a tough spot because we still have a shot if EVERYTHING falls right and we get our stuff together but it's gotten to the point that making the playoffs is Turning into a longshot.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

If Williams has a hard time grasping the offense then Adelman has to do what he thinks is best in getting the team Ws. Though I feel like Williams should get some playing time out there especially with Lee being sick and Smith being sent back to RGV its the coach's decision. Adelman is correct in that Brooks does need his confidence back, the problem is that I hope AB doesnt cost the team possessions/games trying to get it back. AB can easily keep you in games with his scoring but at the same time easily keep you out of games if his shot is not falling since he contributes little else to the team.

That being said if the team doesnt make a major move or makes a move at the trade deadline where its clear that they are trying to head towards a "rebuild" process, I would be upset if Adelman didnt play Williams at that point.

Its easy for any of us to criticze the coaching staff and say 'this guy needs to play more/less' but they are the coaches for a reason and we're the fans. I have to try to show some faith in the staff they are the ones with the scouting reports, seeing how the players perform in practice how the teammates react to one another. Its not an easy job Adelman has right now Williams has been a bit more vocal than I feel he should be on his lack of playing time, but at the same time if you are going to give up a first round pick for him you got to at least give the guy some chance to prove himself.

At least for tonight a Lowry/Brooks combo can work when the Lakers play Blake and Brown provided that Brooks decides to stay within 3 feet of Blake this time and not give him wide open 3s.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Maybe Twill needs to work on his game and prove to the coach he deserves some playing time.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Ridiculous. There is no way Williams can hurt the team more than AB does 75% of the time he is on the court.

12. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Yeah, this is becoming a very strange phenomenon. Historically, RA hasn't played rookies or new guys until they've either learned the system or until the situation forces it, such as injury. So in this case, I would have expected him to play TWill to fill in for Courtney.

There has got to be something going on in the background that we aren't seeing. Because even if he doesn't know the system, just about every other player has at one time been in the rotation when the need has arisen. This should be his chance. :confused:

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That doesn't matter. Rick explicately stated that unless someone gets killed, T-will won't see a spot of playing time.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah, they are trading him. :(

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Lowry Brooks Martin

good luck with the Defence

16. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Give it a few years...

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We were all up in arms about RA not playing Tmac last year and we all know how that went. I have huge hopes for T-Will but RA has a proven track record. I'll let RA decide who to play.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

For better or worse, Adelman is going to give AB all the chances in the world to come out of his funk. As a fan you might disagree and want to see more of Twill, but Adelman has seen all of his players already and knows who needs to play to give him the best chance to win. And yes that means more of AB and crossing your fingers that he has it going when coming into the game. Giving players you've depended on the short hook doesn't bode well for the player's confidence.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

true but Adelman could see that Tracy really wasnt ready from practices and all and even after he left to NY that was the case, its not until another true offseason of further conditioning is he starting to round back into good bball form in detroit.

But Adelman has been wrong before too, he kept Gerald Wallace on the bench in Sacramento and now Wallace is one of the league's top all around defenders and players.

20. srrono

srrono Member

Twill impregnated RA's wife, daughter, and grand daughter so RA is putting personal problems ahead of the team. Shame on RA.