1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron.com: Interesting comments from Morey about team strategy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Except that you can't say that based on Oden's injuries. Not to mention Durant was taken 2nd in that draft. Some people believed he should of been 1st.

Over the last 30 years sucking has got teams these players.

Hakeem
    Ewing
    Jordan
    Duncan
    Barkley
    Magic
    Bird
    Shaq
    Wade
    LeBron
    Durant

Just to name a few top tier draft picks high in the draft.

I'd say it's a defiante recipe for getting superstars.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

If you go over the odds of getting such a player by just simply sucking it becomes far clearer that teams could draft in the top 5 of the lotto for 5 years straight and come up empty handed. Nothing is guaranteed by tanking...except 5 years of sucking with a small chance of landing a superstar. I guess you would be ok with being the Bobcats and landing MKG by being historically bad instead of Anthony Davis.

3. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

No shiet Sherlock.

4. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Using the Bobcats as an example is not a smart thing to do. If you look at who they've drafted over the years, it's no wonder they're still aweful.

I mean lottery picks on Adam Morrison, Sean May, Bismack Biyombo?????

If you think Morey would be dumb enough to draft those players you're insane.

I'm not saying being bad will for sure get you a star player, everything has a risk, but we're running out of options.

No free agent wants to come to a team without another star player. No team wants to trade a star player unless its for a high draft pick/recently highly drafted player (Derrick Favors?). That leaves building through the draft. As seen by recent drafts, Morey has tried to move up, but bad teams are very reluctant to trade those picks. We need to be bad to secure those picks ourselves.

5. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I feel the same in some moves
    i can understand we let camby go, to get some assets and we bring Asik for nothing
    But, i can't understand that we let dragic go for nothing to see if we can bring lin?

6. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

talk is cheap.. get it done or STFU!..

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not overpaying Dragic is fine, but it seems that Lin will get
    a big contract too,even though it is less than Goran's.
    Lowry did create a stink,and just recovered from injuries, so we are lucky with Toronto's pick. However if reports are correct, he was willing to stay and play under McHale,therefore I would played him with the new players.
    I feel he would have gotten better, and we would be a stronger team.
    At this time, Royce White is the only player who can pass the ball.
    Asik is also getting overpaid,even though we need rebounding and defense.

8. imaham259

imaham259 Member

I trust Morey in this but the one thing about his strategy is that it makes Houston an unattractive destination for free agents. Phase one: capture a star, phase two: convince him they will do all they can to build around him and pay him lots of money.

9. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Morey's strategy, although highly rational, is flawed for failing to recognize that other teams are made up of human beings...including GM's who have long memories and don't keep their jobs by loosing to other GM's and players who do not enjoy being treated as "assets".

He needs to be the man behind the curtain.....and we need someone like Rudy T to be the face of the Rockets.

10. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

sucking is what got the hornets anthony davis... like we wouldn't kill to build a future around him!

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The question is what is the alternative? Pay Courtney Lee and Dragic on the contracts they wanted? Extend Aaron Brooks and bring back Battier? Avoid making trades unless necessary?

If you do these you have players and agents who are happier with you. You also have recognizable faces on the squad and fans don't have the jerseys they bought rendered obsolete.

But what do you end up with? The Milwaukee Bucks of recent years? The Philly Sixers of recent years?

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

As others have mentioned, how do the offers to Lin/Asik fit with this cap flexibility strategy (it certainly makes Les and other owners happy if CHI/NYK have to pay them a tax)?

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yet these human beings have no problem saying it's a business when it's free agency time and they want to play elsewhere.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Tanking (literally trying to lose games on purpose) and rebuilding with youth are two different things.

The Rockets are obviously signaling that they are going to look at aquiring as many "high upside" young players as they can in the hope that one of them will take their game to a new level and either A. become a cornerstone player themselves or B. develop more solid players to eventually trade for a superstar.

In the meanwhile dont expect them to do what the Bobcats did last year. They are going to still try and win ballgames. Based on the talent that is currently on the roster, I wouldn't expect them to be the worst team in the NBA, but they are definitely back in the lottery next year without major changes anyways.

That being said, if this group of young players actually does make the playoffs then it should signal a very bright future for the Rockets organization. Isn't that what we all want? A bright future?

The whole tanking argument is getting old now. We all know the Rockets aren't going to go that route so lets please shift our focus towards the rebuilding with youth mentality.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Taking bets on youg guys with upside. Both only with 2 yrs in the NBA. Can do more with expanded minutes and/or role. Contract length and size will not hurt flexibility much.

Same as taking bets on the likes of Motie, Lamb, White, Jones, etc., except you make bets with $ rather than draft picks. Both are resources.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Lin's getting just over $7 mil for 3 years, while dragic is getting $8.5 mil for 4 years. I think that's a significant difference. But I think the Knicks will match so it's basically a moot point. I agree with you that it would have been nice to keep Lowry, whose tough-nosed attitude would have been good for our young squad. But I never heard any reports that the rift with McHale was fixable, and if we truly are going to rebuild, Lowry's cheap contract is wasted on us. He'll be a free agent by the time we're competitive again.

17. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

Well said!

cmiller

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agreed that the Lin offer is very different than what Dragic was asking for. Also, the Rockets honestly never thought that Jeremy Lin would ever actually become a Houston Rocket next season. This is all a way to mess with the Knicks and generate more luxury tax revenues for the rest of the league in 2014-15.

On Asik--seemingly the most inconsistent move with Morey's comments--I think the reasoning is that there is a dearth of truly elite defensive centers in the NBA. If you have a chance to get one, you need to take it. See Gortat, Marcin. And by letting Dragic walk and by trading Lowry, the Rockets will have plenty of cap room to acquire star players, even with Asik taking up $8.37M of cap room. There's a league-mandated minimum salary cap, so someone has to be paid. And Asik is still young (26) and does not play a position that will block the development of the other young guys (unless you count Patterson or Motiejunas as centers). It's certainly a lot to pay for a guy like Asik, but the Rockets HAD to overpay in order to pry him from the Bulls. Either way, that move will not cripple the Rockets' cap flexibility over the next three years. The only other player due a big raise before Asik's deal expires is Patterson.

I'm glad that Morey came out with these comments. It's not any secret to other GMs; but it at least educates a fan base that (for good reason) was beginning to question what the hell the Rockets' front office was doing.

19. Sanity2disChaos

Not very direct in what approach he will make or likely do or wants to do....we want ( as fans) a clear cut direction.this 4 option mess is a joke and p.r. stunt to ease you morey lovers..tell me what it is and not what you think i should know.we as fans deserve more than what we have been given thus far.honestly i got nothing from the article other than we are at a fork in the road and have four options..smh...well that answers everything...not...Talk is cheap..
    .make it happen.

20. rocketsfaninala

So, what you are saying is the Rockets need to hire a carpenter?