1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Chron.com] : Adelman impressed with potential of newest Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This was originally posted in the stickied Luis Scola thread by Roxfan73, but I thought after 54 pages, many may miss it in there, and I thought it was a pretty good read.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4968818.html

--------------------------------------------------

July 15, 2007, 12:49AM

Adelman impressed with potential of newest Rocket

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

LAS VEGAS — Word bounced around the Cox Pavilion gym rapidly, from agent to general manager, general manager to scout, scout to coach.

In a room like this, no crossover dribble is ever as quick as a rumor. But this one had some juice to it, more than the usual free-agent signing or even fresh trade rumor.

This appealed to the insiders and the experts. The Rockets had landed the draft rights to Luis Scola, giving up only a player who said he didn't want to play for them. And the talk started, especially after word spread he would buy out his Tau Ceramica contract and make the jump to the NBA five years after the San Antonio Spurs drafted him.

In Buenos Aires, Scola went through a "crazy" few days of phone calls, meetings and a physical, quickly agreeing to the Rockets' contract offer of three years, $9.3 million (not including the Rockets' $500,000 payment toward his buyout).

By Friday night, the trade was approved. By Saturday, the 27-year-old power forward was making arrangements to arrive in Houston late Monday night and begin the career he had imagined since he began playing basketball.

"I've been waiting to be in NBA since I remember, not just last five years," Scola said when reached at his home in Buenos Aires. "I think it's the best league in the world. I always wanted to be playing with the best players in the world.

"As I started playing and growing, I felt like I got a little closer every year. I just needed a chance to play in the league and make a good career."

Scola, 6-9 and 230 pounds, has that chance. And as scouts and general managers who have watched him for the past decade, especially as a part of Argentina's powerhouse Olympic champion national team, spoke of him, they described a passion, toughness and most of all, a good fit.

"He's really interesting," said Mavericks general manager Donn Nelson, who has scouted Scola for more than 10 years. "He's athletic. He's got the Argentinian toughness. Early on, he didn't have the outside shot, but that's there now. He's a really nice pickup.

"I think he's a fit. He knows how to play. He's a really nice passer. There is an art to knowing how to get out of the way to let other people do things. He's a glue guy, just an all-around good player. He knows how to play, plays hard all the time, does what it takes for his team to win.

"I was involved in coaching him in some of the international teams. He was on some of those first teams to come over. I really liked him then. I thought he needed some time over in Europe. He worked on his game, added the outside game. And he's always been one of those really engaging personalities. He's a true winner in every sense of the word."

That has made Scola a coveted prospect. The fit became a topic of conversation since the trade.

"If (Rockets coach Rick) Adelman does anything like he did in the past, the passing game, the movement, Scola will fit great," said Ryan Bowen, the former Rockets forward who practiced with Scola last season. "He's a great passer, he moves and he hits the midrange jumper."

Adelman's impressed
    While the Pistons, SuperSonics, Cavaliers and Rockets vied to get Scola's draft rights from the Spurs, Adelman watched tape and was impressed enough with what he saw for Scola to become the Rockets' priority.

"I've watched him on tape a lot," Adelman said. "I just think he is a very active player, plays every possession hard. He passes the ball well. I just like the activity more than anything else.

"He's different from a lot of guys because he is always playing, always moving. He's one of those guys if someone makes a play and gives it to him, if he doesn't have it, he gives it to the next guy. That's what I saw on that team they played on in Argentina. He always made the right play.

"That was the advantage I had in Sacramento. We had some smart players. If they're smart and willing to give it up, the offense flows. When I was in Sacramento, people didn't talk about it, but we were a pretty good defensive team. In the playoffs we had a very good defensive team because we were smart. If you're smart offensively, you can be smart defensively, when you put a gameplan together."

As it became apparent that Scola and the Spurs would not get together and San Antonio was ready to find a trading partner, the competition for him began across the NBA. But he was far from a discovery to the people repeating his name around the summer league.

"I've been watching Scola since high school," said Brent Johnson, in his 10th year as a Rockets scout. "He is a very, very intelligent player, fits our new coaching style because he is a big man that can pass, very physical, can score in the low post. He is probably the best (power forward) in Europe. I'm really excited about what Rick can do with him. It's going to be unbelievable. Scola really fits.

"We're getting a lot of compliments. I think he's going to be a surprise for people who don't know. People in the basketball world, they all know. People have been watching him all this time."

Championship aspirations
    This is what Scola had imagined all this time, too. He said he was flattered to hear about the talk in Las Vegas.

"I'm willing to work hard every day, and I'm willing to help," he said. "I don't know what else to say. I think those are the most important things. I'm motivated to work hard and help the team win games. The players there, they know the team, the city, the fans, they are the real players of the Rockets, but I will try to help them win more games."

His national teammates, Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto, have won NBA championships with the Spurs. Scola said it was too soon to talk about that, but with one dream realized, he seemed ready to imagine another.

"If we win a championship," he said, "I would be the happiest person in the world."

That would really be something to talk about.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

SIDEBAR :

POSSIBLE STARTING FIVE

Here's what the Rockets' starting lineup could look like this season with the addition of Luis Scola:

• F: Luis Scola — Brings toughness and offensive versatility to the position.

• F: Shane Battier — Team's best defender with shooting range now even more important.

• C: Yao Ming — Needs only to stay healthy; should love having Scola alongside.

• G: Tracy McGrady — High-scoring days could return with more up-tempo style.

• G: Rafer Alston — Could be early offensive trigger with Mike James bringing instant offense off bench.

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Nice.

Thanks DoD.

3. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Bye bye Stevie.....

4. aamir

aamir Member

I'm really trying to stop myself from getting over hyped, but I love this pick-up!

It's going to be one hell of an experiment.

5. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

The Spurs just sent us another championship puzzel. Anyboby remeber Vernon Maxwell? :D

6. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

So, Does this mean Scola is officially a Rocket?

7. Bald Puppet

Bald Puppet Member

This team is gonna be awesome. I cant wait for next season!

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I hate to bring down the party... But just for the sake of another perspective... San Antonio has been one of the best managed rosters in sports over the past 10 years. Their scouts are unquestionably doing their job. So if Scola was that good I am convinced the Spurs would have made him an offer, moved Duncan to the 5, and inserted Scola at the 4 spot. If Scola was that good then how hard would it be to wager Oberto's starting spot? Ill have my doubts until I see an impact. Hopefully I am eating crow.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

thats been hashed and rehashed to death in the other threads

I find it difficult to believe you missed it

it was all a money and positions game.
    They aint gonna move Timmy from his comfort zone for someone else.
    Timmy likes playing the four, thats what he does.

Last thing you want your (soft) star PF to do is bang around with the centers all game long.

If there are alot of PRO NBA people thinking this guy has a good NBA game, Im inclined to believe them over some internet Debbie DOwner who is afraid to think that juts maybe we got some good luck.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

...and the spurs traded barbosa for who? just because they have been great doesn't mean they can't make stupid decisions.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ya ya. You are all probably right. I hope its true. We need an impact at the 4. I still hope we get someone proven on this roster. But hopefully Scola is the real deal.

12. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

i hope scola brings some toughness and attitude out there on the court. would he be considered an enforcer type?

13. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

haha EXACTLY what i was thinking. i bet adelman would die of horror watching tape of steve francis.

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I think the best thing about this deal is that Scola is clearly a guy that's going to fit with what Adelman likes to do offensively. If Scola's as good as advertised, then I can easily envision Yao and Luis, doing what Vlade and C-Webb did for the kings. With the added dimension of Yao being so effective in the low block.

This team is looking more and more like those Kings teams that Adelman used to coach. Shane can play the role of Doug Christie, and James can be like Bobby Jackson; instant offense off the bench. Tracy has the "takeover" ability unlike anyone else on those Kings teams so that's yet another bonus. The only thing we're missing is a great shooter that can play off the ball and come off screens. I don't know if Head can do it, since he's more of a standstill shooter. And Novak looks to be far from NBA-worthy.

Maybe someone out there can be had for a package of Sura, JL3, Snyder, Head etc. It would solve our roster overload and fill a need at the same time.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There is another thing a lot of you guys are loving. Once again. In my eyes... I am not certain this is a good thing. I guess I am just playing "pessimist Malloy" over here. But I am just weary of this move.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

a few things to keep in mind:

we will never be exactly like those kings teams. some things will be similar but the personnel is just different. adelman didn't have a wing as good as tracy or a low post presence as good as yao.

the kings were a bavetta away from the nba finals and most likely a championship.

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well damn. What do you want? Adelman's the coach. He's got a set way that he's had success in the past, with skilled ballplayers and lots of offensive movement. If he's going to do anything in Houston, he's going to shape and mold the team a certain way.

I mean we tried doing it the Gundy way, by riding two horses offensively, and trying to win games by ratcheting up the defense. What has it gotten us? Two first round exits, and another season wiped out by injuries.

I think Adelman and Morey deserve the benefit of the doubt. The roster is clearly starting to come together and without any drastic overhauls or overpaying of players. The style of play promises to be more watchable (even a first round exit from a fairly entertaining offensive team would be a step up as far as I'm concerned).

And we'll finally find out what kind of player Yao can be playing out at the high post. No matter what, it's better to know once and for all, and end the speculation about his potential. Revolutionary high/low big man or merely all-star caliber low-post scorer. This in and of itself is worth bringing Adelman in. Otherwise there will always be a nagging feeling about "what could have been".

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

To me a great coach is someone who molds his scheme to the team. Someone that can maximize his assets. Not someone that needs to recruit to fill what he is comfortable with. Its one of the things I disliked about Van Gundy. To Adelman's credit thus far he has been very open about the offense. Anyways, this is getting off topic...

I apologize for making a positive thread into gloom and doom. Its been a rough night for me.

19. Dei

Dei Member

Wow. I wondered what happened to him.

20. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Hehehe! I 'm wondering the same ... Freaky Ryan! :cool: