1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Coaching assoc. cancels Clemens speech

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And now the fun begins for Mr. Clemens.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

haha. I love it.

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Irony of ironies! :D

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Good for them. The Astros should also cancel his "personal services contract" since nearly half of Rogeroids career was on the juice and he's no example for younger players.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If he came out and said, "I didn't do it!" would they let him speak???

6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

it's bitter sweetness,

i grew up watching roger, but when steroids became aparent in baseball, it just seemed likely a player like roger was linked

sweetness in the fact that people are accepting the fact that someone who was looked up to as a hometown legend is no more

i always wondered why it seemed as if oswalt held some sort of resentment for clemens

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

It sounds like something the Astros brass would do, but it would be the height of hypocrisy considering the history the team has condoning steroid abusers. They certainly didn't have such scruples when they went after Tejada, not to mention the second go-around with Ken Caminiti.

8. MadMax

Ummm..all of MLB looked the other way. We all did. This problem isn't exclusive to the Astros...and it's not exclusive to MLB, either.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

HAHA

I wish we could cancel the personal services contract.

Nothing worse than a Texan who wants to be a New Yorker.

10. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Hard to get mad at guys for doing what ever they could to be better when your employer at the time didn't care.

The past is in the past, nail the morons who do it from here on out.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why should they?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

because he's roger freakin clemens

13. MadMax

Just pointing out the he said/he said nature of the Mitchell Report. I'm supposed to believe the former batboy and/or the former trainer. I'm supposed to ignore the possibility that the player might be telling the truth when he denies it.

No one can prove a negative. All you can do is deny it.

Trust me, I'm no fan of Roger.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think its in their best interest to leave it alone. i do understand your point though, people have taken this report as truth.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I know what you were doing. :)

I don't think his rights are being violated here. Why allow someone to speak to high school coaches and players about a workout regimen if there's a chance he did steroids. Much better for everyone to find a new guest speaker.

16. MadMax

You're probably right. It's too much controversy for something like that. I don't blame them for doing this at all.

17. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Clemens came out and DENIED EVERYTHING.

18. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Why you would hire some fat guy to come out and talk about "hard work ethic" is beyond me in the first place. Anyone who works out hard doesn't sport an oversized gut and a fat bloated face. Clemens = joke

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

[sarcasm]Wow, they are soooo treating Clemens differently than Bonds[/sarcasm]

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is more in the report than just he said/he said. There is a paper trail. That is the reason the accused (and non-accused) players aren't unloading on this guy like they did on Canseco. This is why Pettitte felt compelled to offer his so-called apology. If this was just one person's word, Clemens wouldn't have waited several days before issuing a written statement.

Other than wishful thinking, why should anyone believe Clemens? He was washed up at age 34 with the Red Sox. He went 40-39 his last 4 seasons there, averaging only 180 innings per year, ending up with 211 wins. Then the next season he joins Canseco in Toronto and wins two consecutive Cy Young awards. Hmmm. Eventually he ends up winning 160 MORE games in his career plus 4 more Cy Youngs. To explain this sudden jump in effectiveness at an advanced age by a great workout routine is ludicrous.

Rogeroid's career U-turn is just as dubious as Barroid's sudden jump in HR productivity. The only differences are Barroid is a much bigger jerk, he broke two of the most hallowed records in all of sports and is subject to a criminal investigation.